Brewers droop.... | Page 14 | Vital Football

Brewers droop....

Does anyone remember in our first year in the Prem and we had some absolutely shocking decisions against us (a couple of those games were Phil Dowd) and Whelan and Jewell were giving them both barrels in the media?

At the time if felt like in response the refs closed ranks and we got even more decisions against us as a result as punishment. So as unjust as it may feel I think you genuinely got to be careful how much you say and how far you push it, as the officials do look out for each other (as Mike Dean admitted when he deliberately made a wrong decision on VAR to help his mate) so there could be consequences against you.

I agree, a single club going it alone would probably be open to being punished by the referees but if a number of clubs combined to make a complaint and criticise the standard of refereeing it would probably be taken seriously and acted upon.

I doubt it will ever happen because if a referee is considered bad or biased by one club the other club is likely to disagree.

I do think though that referees should be open to criticism from managers as long as it is done without malice. A manager should be able to criticise a poor performance without the fear of being fined for bringing the game into disrepute in the same way that a managers behaviour on the touchline is open to criticism by the referee in the shape of a yellow or red card.

I agree, a single club going it alone would probably be open to being punished by the referees but if a number of clubs combined to make a complaint and criticise the standard of refereeing it would probably be taken seriously and acted upon.
Not really sue on what could be done in all honesty other than certain refs getting dropped for a week or so after a poor performance. Not massively well up on how many different refs we've had but the vast majority seem to be awful from what I've seen so far this season.

Last edited:
Not really sue on what could be done in all honesty other than certain refs getting dropped for a week or so after a poor performance. Not massively well up on how many different res we've had but the vast majority seem to be awful from what I've seen so far this season.

I think you are right mate, there is little that could be done other than suspending them at present, although there could be more time and money spent on recruiting ex players and retraining those that are being criticised regularly.

Perhaps someone with a refereeing background could respond to these posts and inform us as to what scrutiny referees come under these days and how much training referees are given during their careers.

I know there was a poster on here at one time that held those credentials.