Brereton Burke and Osborn | Vital Football

Brereton Burke and Osborn

TR3red

Vital Youth Team
Whats the latest on our three recent high value offspring. Any of them showing a possibility of success away from Forest ? Going back over the years we seem to be able to ship out players for megabucks only for them to fail at a "higher level ".

Osborb is on the Judy at the Blunts pretty much every game got on for the draw at Stamford Bridge, unused sub yesterday.

Nope

Brereton has made one sub appearance in 9 league games and started one cup game. Really poor so far unless there is an injury behind that

Burke is on loan at Deportivo Alaves and not playing. One start, one sub appearance. He has played more times for Scotland than he has domestically (and has a goal for Scotland too)

Osborn is not starting for Sheffield United in the league. His most recent start was on the left for the home cup defeat to Sunderland. His premier League career thus far runs to 13 minutes.

This is not intended to make judgements on the ability of any of these players, just stating the facts. All three have ability. None are getting chances, but equally, chances have to be earned.

Last edited:
Randomly saw Burke playing for Alaves the other night. Couple of nice touches and runs here and there but overall, a fleeting impact on a game where Alaves got smashed.

Struggled a lot more once he was forced to play up front.

If we still had Osborn does anyone fell that he would have started many of the games? Don't get me wrong he is a reliable utility player but not sure he would get many starts for us still.

If we still had Osborn does anyone fell that he would have started many of the games? Don't get me wrong he is a reliable utility player but not sure he would get many starts for us still.

No i don't . We don't miss him that's for sure.

Owd fell chap.

Whats the latest on our three recent high value offspring. Any of them showing a possibility of success away from Forest ? Going back over the years we seem to be able to ship out players for megabucks only for them to fail at a "higher level ".

If only we had managed to ship out a few more players for megabucks, even if they were a success elsewhere ! Our transfer record has been abysmal. How many players have we bought and sold for a profit in the last ten or fifteen years ? Can only think of two offhand, who ironically were actually bought on the same day, if I remember correctly, Antonio and Assombalonga. Done better from the academy, but no idea if it makes ends meet, though at least under FFP the costs don't count.

If only we had managed to ship out a few more players for megabucks, even if they were a success elsewhere ! Our transfer record has been abysmal. How many players have we bought and sold for a profit in the last ten or fifteen years ? Can only think of two offhand, who ironically were actually bought on the same day, if I remember correctly, Antonio and Assombalonga. Done better from the academy, but no idea if it makes ends meet, though at least under FFP the costs don't count.
Loads actually.

We sold Soudani at quite a profit just this summer. Ansarifard too. Tachsidis as well went for £500k? That's three this summer.

Who was that goalkeeper who never even played a year or two ago? Kepa or something like that? We made a profit on him too.

Loads actually.

We sold Soudani at quite a profit just this summer. Ansarifard too. Tachsidis as well went for £500k? That's three this summer.

Who was that goalkeeper who never even played a year or two ago? Kepa or something like that? We made a profit on him too.

Do we know for a fact we sold them for a profit, especially if you cost in the wages against the playing value we got out of them. Thought Soudani was worth keeping, but I certainly wouldn't list them as successful buys. Tachtsidis didn't even make it onto the pitch for us did he ? All three of their transfers involved Olympiakos, which casts doubt on things too.

Last edited:
Do we know for a fact we sold them for a profit, especially if you cost in the wages against the playing value we got out of them. Thought Soudani was worth keeping, but I certainly wouldn't list them as successful buys. Tachtsidis didn't even make it onto the pitch for us did he ? All three of their transfers involved Olympiakos, which casts doubt on things too.
When you look at selling for a profit, you don't generally count in wages. That's an odd way of doing things. How would you judge it?

If you don't feel we sold these players for a profit then fair enough. But by the conventional method of comparing incoming to outgoing transfer fee, we have.

Of course, these were all dubious outgoings set up by Marinakis to help our FFP. So in that sense, your original point has validity

When you look at selling for a profit, you don't generally count in wages. That's an odd way of doing things. How would you judge it?

If you don't feel we sold these players for a profit then fair enough. But by the conventional method of comparing incoming to outgoing transfer fee, we have.

Of course, these were all dubious outgoings set up by Marinakis to help our FFP. So in that sense, your original point has validity

I wouldn't normally include wages, as you assume they are for the benefit of them playing for us, but Tachtsidis didn't even get on the pitch for us, and Soudani and Ansarifard were injured nearly all the time.

To date, since the current owner took over, we have made a profit of 24.75m on transfers; that does not include this seasons dealings which should also show a profit.

To date, since the current owner took over, we have made a profit of 24.75m on transfers; that does not include this seasons dealings which should also show a profit.

Crikey Moa that’s quite a profit. I know wages are part of the equation but feel that the wage bill is lower under present management than the previous. When one considers that £13m was spent on one player that hasn’t shown anything like that return, that is promising financial management.

A considerable portion of that comes from selling our home grown players which looks as if it isn’t going to stop. We need to keep bringing young players through which means more than playing them in Carabao cup.