Brazil | Vital Football

Brazil

taffontyne

Vital Football Hero
Anyone thinking of going over for the World Cup/Olympics? We were considering a trip for the Olympics. The more I hear, the less I fancy it. Radio 5Live are over there this week - Victoria Deryshire went to a game with a football expert and some myths were dispelled - the one that surprised me was that there were so many empty seats - average crowds over there are less than attend US Major League Soccer matches. So much for being a footie mad country. Another country easing their way into the world economies and leaving many many people behind. I guess it's bloody easy if you have no care for the slum-dwelling poor.

I heard that Victoria Derbyshire interview this morning when she interviewed the local muggers in Rio who said they would be out in force during the WC. I wouldn't fancy going as you would have to be on your guard all of the time.

Mates brother went with his lad to watch a grand prix a few years back. I'd describe him as highly capable of looking after himself. They went out one day and he was shitting it after 2 hours.
Gangs of kids holding up tourists at gunpoint. There was a team of american footballers in his hotel, all built like tanks, 6 of them came running into the lobby one night with the **** kicked out of them.
One of the gangs attacked them, knives, bats and some little **** was firing a pistol randomly in the air and howling whilst they were fighting. Madness.

Years ago, I found myself ashore in one of the ports either side of the Panama Canal - Cristobal. It was said it was something you should experience just once. That was a bit of an eye opener. I learnt more in preparation for that that has stood me in good stead ever since.

Vin, that mugger who went on about what they look for must be in a gutter by now, letting the cat out of the bag. But it's the threats about gang crime that leaves me concerned. A country of massive inequality on a big scale might just suffer a backlash from the world for both big events. You cannot ring fence a world sporting occasion with troops. The message that is going to get out about that country is not the one intended by those bidding for the Olympics and World Cup. And more bloody fool the IOC and FIFA for putting Brazil on the spot. The usual bloody sponsors will be cacking themselves and seeking to impose all manner of shite on the thing. I hope it all goes pear-shaped, for the sake of the slum dwellers who deserve better than fucking gangsters and ring fences.

I listened to Victoria Derbyshire this morning. Nothing would encourage me to go there. Its a nightmare scenario. Gated rich community and total slums close by.

There was a documentary a few years ago about the Police in Rio going into the slums and shooting kids for target practice, that alone put any thoughts of ever visiting Brazil out of my head but i admit, i am a bit of a coward in these matters, better a live chicken than a dead hero.

I won't be going, I value my continued existence too much... plus my bank balance is also insufficient to fund that kind of trip atm

Used to spend this time of the year, for a few years, working in Mexico City, Sao Paolo, and Buenos Aires.

Only BA was safe (top city too).

The other I'd walk to the end of the 'hotel strip' to talk to the security guards 'can I go for a walk out of here?'

'Course you can. But I wouldnt, and, you're on you own' was the reply.

Pretty boy you see, all those maidens I figured.

Or, it might have been bullets for my wallet, one of the two anyway.