Brad’s interview | Page 6 | Vital Football

Brad’s interview

Disagree, I have two daughters and I would have found Perry and his cowardly little teenage disciples and kicked the fucking shit out of them.
Glad he has more self restraint than me I suppose.
Without a vestige of evidence that it happened at all, let alone that FP was involved ?
You're a real tough guy or just a mindless bigmouth ?

As far as recruitment, I think it's probably been about the same as any other season (22/23 the exception for how bad it was). A couple of great signings, a few ok and a few duds.

Which would be fine normally, but with a dedicated recruitment team we should be looking to do better, especially when scoring goals and a lack of pace has been a persistent problems for 3 years in a row now.

Without a vestige of evidence that it happened at all, let alone that FP was involved ?
You're a real tough guy or just a mindless bigmouth ?
Bigmouth- maybe.
Mindless - I like to think not.
If I knew who was threatening my family I would deal with it myself. Or perhaps I should just give them a cuddle and say it’s not their fault, they had a difficult childhood

Not really, they were talking in some detail about recruitment for next season, and Kenny Jackett was mentioned a lot in terms of him reporting to Joe, (who is now in charge of the football side of the club as well), but Hess not at all.
As he is meant to be “Head of Recruitment” I thought that was a bit strange.
I guess I could be reading too much into that, but going forwards my suspicion is he will leave the club this summer, or at best just have a minor scouting type role perhaps alongside another position elsewhere.

For those reading between the lines, here are some lines to read:

“We have got people in the building like Kenny (Jackett, the director of football) and Hess (Andy Hessenthaler, head of recruitment), people who have played the game at a good level and can watch a player, 100%, we are sorted there.

“They have proven that with the likes of Shad Ogie and Ethan Coleman, look at how good they have been this season.

“What we are starting to add is the analytics of broadening that net and not relying on just people we have seen or people that are obvious to everyone, those are the players everyone is competing for, everyone has to over-pay for that player and it becomes a bidding war.

“The analytics casts the net much wider and creates that longer list which is where then we can use the skills of Kenny and Hess and the scouting network to do their due diligence on the players and watch them and analyse them.”

All from the article on KOL.

It's clear with hindsight that what we have done is recruited players with a decent record at other clubs but we haven't recruited decent players that have come together as a TEAM. This squad, as has been proved this season can't (or wont/don't want to) play effective football together.

That IMO is on the recruitment. Whether that's on KJ, AH and NH or just on KJ and AH is up for debate but in attacking areas most of our attacking players have lived up to what I expected and some have simply just not been good enough.

Our strikers we've had at our disposal are nowhere near the quality needed to score the goals to get us out the division IMO. Its by some miracle we're still involved in the play-off race, not because we've been decent but because everyone else has been as inconsistent/shit as us, although most others are worse defensively rather than not being able to score goals. Defensively IMO we're strong but I'd imagine that's where a fair portion of our budget has been spent.

Using analytics to recruit is a weird one IMO. BG says we're need to move away from being in the 'pool' competing with everyone else for players, yet goes on to say everyone is starting to use analytics, presumably meaning that method will identify the same type of players clubs want ( I.e a striker who is quick, mobile, a physical presence, scores goals, can hold the ball up).

For me, we have lacked an energy/fitness to get around the pitch, a method of creating chances and the obvious lack of someone to put the ball in the back of the net. That doesn't need some analytics to tell me that and IMO KJ or AH shouldn't need analytics to tell them the type of players. Identifying those type of players is what they get paid to do Shirley, go out and watch players in person, that's the best judge, not an algorithm.

Also have doubts that our budget, if as BG says in the KOL article is going to be similar for next season, will be able to accommodate the probable 3 strikers we need (as well as Andrews for next season.

I'd be amazed if we recruited only 3 or 4 players in the summer and were in the top three next season. We need 6 or 7 attack minded/creative/goalscoring players in our squad for next season IMO.

None of J Williams, Lapslie, J Clarke, Mahoney have done enough to warrant being immediate picks for next season and we need at least two if not three strikers alongside Andrews.

On PS anyone who thought PS was quietly going to fade into the background and didn't still want his fingers in pies doesn't know him very well. He may have 'expertise' but he is also someone who could never delegate or let others do what they're paid to do.

This time last season we were gnats chuff away from relegation. We now find ourselves in play-off position( I don't think we'll stay there) I'm convinced that had we not changed managers we would be 6 or more points better off.
I'm not saying Clemence is any better or worse than Harris. I'm simply saying that the process of appointing a new coach cost us points.
I agree we struggle to score goals. Overall however I think player recruitment has been pretty good. Could it have been better, probably, but i think it's a bit rich to slag off the recruiting department as being useless, as some do,
We may get in the play offs. We may even get promoted. Gills have still got everything to play for.

Edit: I've removed my initial sentence because on re- reading CB's post I realised i was wrong

Last edited:
With respect I disagree with most of your analysis.
This time last season we were gnats chuff away from relegation. We now find ourselves in play-off position( I don't think we'll stay there) I'm convinced that had we not changed managers we would be 6 or more points better off.
I'm not saying Clemence is any better or worse than Harris. I'm simply saying that the process of appointing a new coach cost us points.
I agree we struggle to score goals. Overall however I think player recruitment has been pretty good. Could it have been better, probably, but i think it's a bit rich to slag off the recruiting department as being useless
We may get in the play offs. We may even get promoted. Gills have still got everything to play for.
We all know that IF we managed to get promoted, a section would then major on the point that 'we'll never stay up'
It's in their nature

If you had any genuine care for your daughter's safety and welfare , the last thing you would do is to take it to the media. If you have a daughter just reflect on what you would have done and then take a view as to the veracity of Scally's vague and unsubstantiated accusations.

Unsubstantiated accusations

Wow 😂😂😂