Bowyer Resigns | Vital Football

Bowyer Resigns

Luke Imp

Alert Team
Staff member
Leaving/left Charlton...to takeover at Birmingham apparently. Things must be at Charlton to head there!

Bowyer resigning to go to (probably) another club sums him up as I assume now Charlton wouldn't get compensated by (probably) Birmingham

From what I gather from a Charlton supporting mate, he has been on borrowed time for a while now and belief is he jumped before he was pushed. My mate is one of many who would love to see Mssrs Cowley and Cowley at The Valley, although some bizarrely want a return of Alan Curbishley who has not managed in over a decade.

From what I gather from a Charlton supporting mate, he has been on borrowed time for a while now and belief is he jumped before he was pushed. My mate is one of many who would love to see Mssrs Cowley and Cowley at The Valley

I had a look on Charlton's forum and most of them are opposed to the idea of the Cowleys taking over. It looks like Huddersfield has really tarnished their image.

What's amusing though is there are plenty of Charlton fans who genuinely seem to think they should be going for Eddie Howe or Chris Wilder. It's a common theme amongst fans of any team - they always overestimate wildly the attraction of their own club.

Last edited:
I had a look on Charlton's forum and most of them are opposed to the idea of the Cowleys taking over. It looks like Huddersfield has really tarnished their image.

What's amusing though is there are plenty of Charlton fans who genuinely seem to think they should be going for Eddie Howe or Chris Wilder. It's a common them amongst fans of any team - they always overestimate wildly the attraction of their own club.
Your second paragraph explains their lack of enthusiasm for the Cowleys, way beneath their expectations. And to be fair, our expectations were proportionate and a few were underwhelmed when Appleton was appointed.

Charlton would be a good fit for the Cowleys though, but would need good due diligence on their part in respect of the new owners, given Charlton's recent chequered past.

Your second paragraph explains their lack of enthusiasm for the Cowleys, way beneath their expectations. And to be fair, our expectations were proportionate and a few were underwhelmed when Appleton was appointed.

Could be, however many are amenable to other options with much lower profile such as Michael Duff, Russell Martin and Michael Beale. I think it's a mixture of delusions of grandeur and/or perception of style.

What's amusing though is there are plenty of Charlton fans who genuinely seem to think they should be going for Eddie Howe or Chris Wilder. It's a common theme amongst fans of any team - they always overestimate wildly the attraction of their own club.

I totally get what you are saying re the forum, however in my mates ‘Circle’ of Addicks fans, which is quite big, they remain popular.
Chris Wilder would be not so ludicrous as you may think as he has connections to the club albeit via a couple of loan spells there in the 90s. Fairly tenuous maybe, but, a connection nonetheless and he has managed in the south before.