Bolton Wanderers | Page 7 | Vital Football

Bolton Wanderers

Play the kids...but not our U18, a mix if the Yates nd Appiah nd a couple of the promising U23s ....Watson nd Murphy can pack nd start their summer holidays...

Does anyone else think that if it ends up being Bolton's under 18s team playing at the CG on Sunday, it would be bad form to put out a full strength senior team?
Basically there is nothing to play for at this point, so the result doesn't matter. I'd take no pleasure in watching Forests seniors play Bolton's kids. I think Forest would emerge with a lot of good will from the footballing world if we played our under 18s against Bolton's. Not for Bolton's sake, but for those individual young lads being thrown in to dig their club out of a hole. Nothing to be gained from tearing them a new one - or trying too.
Imagine the experience for two under 18 sides playing at a packed CG. It'd be great for all involved.
There is as high as 8th and as low as 13th to play for. There is a prize money difference in that. But there is also a history book difference as well as prestige. A club finishing 8th is easier to sell itself to potential new signings as one with prospects for promotion

That's a lot more tangible than the "good will" of the footballing world.

I think we should do what Bolton want us to do.

They may well want an absolute pasting to draw attention to what Ken Anderson has done to them

If they put out their academy, I am not sure they would want a pasting as that could have a damaging effect on their young players.

I would expect MoN would do what has been suggested and ‘reward’ a couple of our better u23s with a spot in the first team for this game.

I don't believe there's any difference in player signings between 8th and 13th. At that point it's money that makes the difference.
Yes there is more money available for finishing higher. I don't know how significant that cash difference is, so may be a bigger factor than I give it credit for.
I just don't think that it's great for the kids at Bolton to be forced into action and potentially thrashed twice in a week as their first experience of 1st team football, and they are already victims of the situation without it being made worse for them.
There's also the potential banana skin of the situation. We might labour to a 1-0, or even fail to score and draw. Or what if Forests first team actually lost? The record against "inferior" cup teams isn't stellar, and Forest would be going down in history if they lost to Bolton's under 18s in such circumstances.

Get pants to stick 35 goals in and claim the top scorer award. Got to feel for Bolton fans, situation looks very grim.

I don't believe there's any difference in player signings between 8th and 13th. At that point it's money that makes the difference.
Yes there is more money available for finishing higher. I don't know how significant that cash difference is, so may be a bigger factor than I give it credit for.
I just don't think that it's great for the kids at Bolton to be forced into action and potentially thrashed twice in a week as their first experience of 1st team football, and they are already victims of the situation without it being made worse for them.
There's also the potential banana skin of the situation. We might labour to a 1-0, or even fail to score and draw. Or what if Forests first team actually lost? The record against "inferior" cup teams isn't stellar, and Forest would be going down in history if they lost to Bolton's under 18s in such circumstances.

Why are we so worried about the Bolton kids?

This is not our fault

What about our kids? And by that, I mean young fans, who go with their dads only to see a second rate reserve game?

The benefit of 28,000 paying customers Vs 11 young players from another club?

Playing against a fullish squad will be good practice for them. They will get over it.

And the difference between trying to get a player like Lewis Grabban to sign on the dotted line at a club that was 8th and within 7 points of the playoffs and a club that was 13th, ten points from the playoffs and was bottom half is significant. All well and good for an internet forum user to say "I don't think it matters". What if it does?

I would rather find out what Bolton fans want first. If they would see it as a good gesture then I'm happy to do that. If they would see it as taking pity then no

Last edited:
What
Feel for Bolton fans. Few clubs deserve such shit. When will football power get the reform it so desperately needs
What has happened to their club is a disgrace.

I'm just surprised it hasn't happened like this before.

The FA need to do something urgently. SISU at Coventry are an utterly vile, repugnant organisation who have no business having any involvement in football. They are about to force Cov into another groundshare miles away.

Blackpool at least have shed themselves of the Oystons. Theirs isn't even the worst story given they haven't really fallen far from where they started.

Leyton Orient have just returned to the league after their owner saw them relegated twice.

These are owners that make Fawaz and the Venky's look like only medium level shocking owners.

I would like to see the bar set far higher on ownership. No hedge fund or anything like that should ever own a club. I would like to see a 'Phoenix fund' so that clubs can simply he resurrected in L2 if bad owners lead to liquidation

Football supporters are pretty much the same in the Championship or anywhere else for that matter and I feel sorry for the Bolton supporters, they don't even know whether they'll have a team next season. It could easily be us or any other club in the same position. So if they find that they can only send a junior or reserve side to play us then we should do the same.
I really can't see whether we finish in 8th or 13th position has any bearing on it especially considering the amount of publicity the situation would attract.

It's only a game.

Not paid my season ticket money and giving up my Sunday afternoon to see a youth team match. Should start with a strong eleven , though would be nice to see a bit more of Appiah and Brennan Johnson.

Football supporters are pretty much the same in the Championship or anywhere else for that matter and I feel sorry for the Bolton supporters, they don't even know whether they'll have a team next season. It could easily be us or any other club in the same position. So if they find that they can only send a junior or reserve side to play us then we should do the same.
I really can't see whether we finish in 8th or 13th position has any bearing on it especially considering the amount of publicity the situation would attract.

It's only a game.
What's the point in going then?

Seriously, if I wanted to see a youth team game, I would go to one.

Why on earth should we put three points in doubt?

No one will think any the worse of us if we put a good team out.

No one will think the better of us if we don't. People are being naive. Is Kemar Roofe going to admit next year's hand ball equaliser because he respects forest's stance against Bolton?

And for those Bolton youngsters, this will be a full league game. For some, it will be their debut. Playing our youth team belittles that experience.

We wouldn't feel the need to water down the team if we were playing a semi pro side in the FA Cup.

They will be able to give us a good game in the first half anyway. We won't have it all our own way.

Like I say, go with what Bolton fans want. Or compromise and give a couple of debuts to players like Johnson

What

What has happened to their club is a disgrace.

I'm just surprised it hasn't happened like this before.

The FA need to do something urgently. SISU at Coventry are an utterly vile, repugnant organisation who have no business having any involvement in football. They are about to force Cov into another groundshare miles away.

Blackpool at least have shed themselves of the Oystons. Theirs isn't even the worst story given they haven't really fallen far from where they started.

Leyton Orient have just returned to the league after their owner saw them relegated twice.

These are owners that make Fawaz and the Venky's look like only medium level shocking owners.

I would like to see the bar set far higher on ownership. No hedge fund or anything like that should ever own a club. I would like to see a 'Phoenix fund' so that clubs can simply he resurrected in L2 if bad owners lead to liquidation

I am not 100% sure, but I think you are picking on the wrong crowd at Orient.

The Italian who had all of the fun with the WUPs and got them relegated out of the FL sold the club shortly afterwards.

The new owner, who appears to be well liked all round at Brisbane Road, is better known as the CEO of Dunkin Donuts; I say better known, I still cannot remember his name.

I am not 100% sure, but I think you are picking on the wrong crowd at Orient.

The Italian who had all of the fun with the WUPs and got them relegated out of the FL sold the club shortly afterwards.

The new owner, who appears to be well liked all round at Brisbane Road, is better known as the CEO of Dunkin Donuts; I say better known, I still cannot remember his name.
I was talking about their old owner, not the new one.

Pope, the only point in going to that game would be to show a bit of support to a a team and supporters in a mountain of trouble with possibly no answer.

And I agree with your point about agreement with what the Bolton fans want.

I wi
Pope, the only point in going to that game would be to show a bit of support to a a team and supporters in a mountain of trouble with possibly no answer.

And I agree with your point about agreement with what the Bolton fans want.

I will be going to the game for my team, not for the opposition.

I think you also have to consider other issues. How many of our squad get appearance bonuses that they won't be *all that happy* to lose for a 'gesture'?

I don't think anyone would argue that I don't care about the welfare of other clubs if you read my considerable number of updates on clubs in crisis.

But potentially throwing away 3 points won't help them. If that's the kind of solidarity their fans want then fine. But we can show a huge amount of solidarity as fans even if we are beating them 10-0. In some ways more. I would happily cheer every Bolton pass in those circumstances and applaud their efforts.

I don't know, let's see how it works out.

Nixon is currently claiming a new buyer has emerged

What's the point in going then?

Seriously, if I wanted to see a youth team game, I would go to one.

Why on earth should we put three points in doubt?

No one will think any the worse of us if we put a good team out.

No one will think the better of us if we don't. People are being naive. Is Kemar Roofe going to admit next year's hand ball equaliser because he respects forest's stance against Bolton?

And for those Bolton youngsters, this will be a full league game. For some, it will be their debut. Playing our youth team belittles that experience.

We wouldn't feel the need to water down the team if we were playing a semi pro side in the FA Cup.

They will be able to give us a good game in the first half anyway. We won't have it all our own way.

Like I say, go with what Bolton fans want. Or compromise and give a couple of debuts to players like Johnson
100% agree with this.

And the difference between trying to get a player like Lewis Grabban to sign on the dotted line at a club that was 8th and within 7 points of the playoffs and a club that was 13th, ten points from the playoffs and was bottom half is significant.

I would rather find out what Bolton fans want first. If they would see it as a good gesture then I'm happy to do that. If they would see it as taking pity then no
im hoping its 8th so someone might offer a few quid for him

This ever happened before? Losing my fact checker log in has been so annoying.

From a quick google it appears things like this could of happened before; Plymouth players were close to a strike over wages but that didn’t stop any games & there was the Jimmy Hill maximum wage thing but that also never called off any games. So this is pretty unprecedented, which in itself I’m surprised about as wasn’t pretty much everyone on strike in the 1970’s?
have ffs have :D