"Bolton get battered" matchday thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

"Bolton get battered" matchday thread

Well done on the win tonight guys, Maloney completely outthought Evatt yet again, which I must confess though is not difficult. Every manager and team we play knows exactly how we’re going to set up and will continue the sideways and back garbage no matter what for the whole 90 minutes. That tonight was typically atrocious and shows exactly why we’ve no chance of making the automatics and probably the play offs as well. Anyway, I didn’t come on to moan just to congratulate you on a job well done and wish you luck for the rest of the season. Humphrey’s for England? 😁
Many of our supporters are willing to stick with Maloney despite his sideways and back garbage churned out all season because they want to see what Latics will be like if Shaun gets to bring in better players with a budget.
Its as clear as day what we will be and thats exactly what you are complaining about Evatt for. We could very well be what Bolton are like now.
Fans everywhere should unite and get this type of football booted out forever.
However thanks for your graciousness and sportsmanship.

It's not over for you, far from it but you do need a little more direct play because all that tippy tippy stuff hurts no one. You are a better side than Barnsley but they have a more direct style than you so it will be interesting on Saturday. Anyway after you yourself have shown class tonight I wish you luck for your sake.
Ignore that you don't play Barnsley Saturday.

Fantastic result. We stood off too much for the first 25 mins or so but when we did start to press a bit we improved. 2nd half we really had them rattled for a spell and could’ve scored 3. They ran out of ideas and played like we did against Cheltenham. Humphrys was great and needs to play that role every week, Santos had Magennis in his back pocket but was all over the place when Humphrys came on. McManaman also did well first half and tore the left back apart but couldn’t find anyone with his crosses. The attitude and application was there and we actually look better when we have less possession, at times we showed too much respect tonight but it’s clear we need to work on how we press teams. Goode and Kerr defended well and didn’t piss about, our centre halves need to play like that every game.

Bolton are a set of soft moaning *****, hopefully they stay in league 1 so we can have another 6 points off them next season.

Say what you want about Maloney but he's got the scratch squad fighting for the shirt and each other.It looked tonight that all those lads want to be here next season which can only be a good thing going forward.Even Godo and Chambers who we know won't be here get it.

Many of our supporters are willing to stick with Maloney despite his sideways and back garbage churned out all season because they want to see what Latics will be like if Shaun gets to bring in better players with a budget.
Its as clear as day what we will be and thats exactly what you are complaining about Evatt for. We could very well be what Bolton are like now.
Fans everywhere should unite and get this type of football booted out forever.
However thanks for your graciousness and sportsmanship.

Deluded. Tactically superb Maloney tonight. Bolton looked lost by the end.

Well what an absolutely nerve wracking & hard fought win......n that was just by me up there in the stands. As for the lads on the pitch I'll not put anything negative in this post given the hard fought win the boys achieved against the so called 'best in the league. Before ko I was dreading a reversal of our August fixture & the way they came at us I thought 'here we go'. Fair play to the likes of Cal Mac giving us 'derby' like tackles & Tickle alert to the odd danger & brilliant save. The goal was such a relief, well worked, well taken & well n truly got the crowd more vocal, shame we couldn't have made it safe with the Thelo scissor kick....that would definitely have led to a full blown chorus of 'Bolton get battered'. Full time n injury time seemed to take an eternity buy what a sight it was to see the court ready Ian Evatt storm onto the pitch trying to stir stuff up....prob doing this to deflect from his teams fairly inept performance. Coming away from the ground it was sad to see police vans & police horses speed towards the bridge area...didn't sound great n glad we didn't have to go that way.

It wasn't a vintage or sexy display but even if we'd have lost that 1-0 I was really happy with the performance.

We may have been under heavy pressure for large spells of the game and there are plenty of things you could pick out to do better but they showed us the intensity, urgency, work rate and battling attitude - if they give us that I'm always pleased.

I've really disliked so many of our performances this season for lacking those attributes but tonight they did themselves and us proud. It's hard to believe that is the same side that was so lacklustre against Cheltenham, Exeter, etc.

We really had to work hard to earn that win and I think when we talk about 'our DNA' I think that it's never been the passing it around from Martinez era, our DNA is the hard work and fighting spirit like tonight.

I thought everyone played their part but some of the players who've taken a lot of critasism lately in Goode, Godo and Humphrys were excellent. Humps has been accused of not caring but you could tell how much it meant to him by the way he celebrated. He can be frustrating at times but he's got so much talent.

We weren't anywhere near as aggressive in our press as we were in the previous fixture but we were very organised and did a pretty good job blocking the passing lanes and limiting their options. We were also much quicker to shut down space and stop long shots which was previously a big weakness that cost us the Oxford game. So credit to Maloney on that.

Special mention to Scott Smith who did very well considering he was out of position and at times outnumbered at right back. I think I'd play him there ahead of Clare.

I liked having a back 4 again as it helps us get more men in midfield and I hope we stick with it.

We all know what we are like by now - we turn it on for the better sides, but I wish we could show that level of endeavour and energy against the weaker sides. I hope we don't follow the same pattern and can follow up this excellent result and strong performance with another on Saturday.

Just got home I’m absolutely ecstatic, enjoyed the game thought the atmosphere was great. Let’s hope they stay down then we can do them again next season.
Is it you giving Bolton fans grief on Facebook saying the same, 6 guaranteed points next season, they are unsurprisingly quiet tonight.

Positive forward play paid off. Was glad Hughes was unavailable because his sideways and back wasn't there tonight and it showed

Much is often said on here about Maloney's substitutions ... but tonight, it seems the consensus is he did well.

As for Evatt, taking off their number 8 was what lost him the game. Without him, they had close to zero creativity.

Still buzzing' 😎

Much is often said on here about Maloney's substitutions ... but tonight, it seems the consensus is he did well.

As for Evatt, taking off their number 8 was what lost him the game. Without him, they had close to zero creativity.

Still buzzing' 😎

Mate of mine at game said the same....'wtf is Evatt doing taking off his no 8....he was running their game. Cheer 👏👏👏 Evatt, the gift that keeps giving. On another Evatt note....what was all that about, him strutting onto the pitch in his 'court' suit trying to incite a bit of unnecessary bother to try n deflect from a piss poor team performance.

Still buzzing' 😎

I couldn't believe he did that, Sheehan was probably the best player on the pitch, certainly there best player by an absolute mile...tactical genius that humungous fat prick

Our tactics 1st half were shocking as the midfield were playing alongside the back 4 inviting them on. Bolton are a decent side but are flimsy as fuck with no fight in um.
I thought the tactics were very similar to how we approached the United game. But the key difference this time around was that Maloney timed his subs right with the game still in the balance rather than leaving it too late as he did back then. Humphrys came on in the 54th minute, Godo in the 64th. Had he done the same with McManaman and Jonny Smith against United with the game still at 0-1, we may well have got something.

Still buzzing' 😎
He isnt afraid to make subs. Even last Friday there was an improvement in the second half after the substitutions were brought on.

Say what you want about Maloney but he's got the scratch squad fighting for the shirt and each other.It looked tonight that all those lads want to be here next season which can only be a good thing going forward.Even Godo and Chambers who we know won't be here get it.
So that post is based on one match beating Bolton? We've been piss poor since before Christmas even most of the players don't look interested, think about what you're saying ffs!