Blue cards | Vital Football

Blue cards

imp73

Vital Squad Member
Blue cards to be introduced as a trial... im guessing most fans will instinctively be against this. But I think it's worth trialing - as a way to eradicate the cynical fouling when teams get on the counter attack - like Burton did half a dozen times last Saturday, like Paudie O'Connor's ridiculous tackle.... but conversely a 10 minute sin bin isn't a deterrent in the final minutes of a game... so I don't know :shrug:! Discuss...

Isn't a yellow, and then a red card supposed to be the deterrent?
My radical solution to most problems around the laws of the game. Apply the existing ones consistently throughout the games (whistle to whistle) and the season. No "it's too early to book someone", no "it's not a penalty but it would have been a free kick on the half way line", no "first foul for free if its deserving of a card", no early season clamp-down on whatever only to ease off in October. There is little point bringing in even more if you can't use those you already have!

How about IFAB trying to unpick the tangled mess they have created instead of making even more cretinous rules? If they hadn't caused such confusion with increasingly idiotic offside and handball rules, we would not have the VAR abomination which continues to destroy football as an exciting spectacle.

Blue cards? It would be beyond believable if it were not coming from IFAB.

Could Lasse spend the whole ten minutes tying his laces if we had someone sent to a sin bin??
Time wasting would be even worse than it currently is.
Silly idea so no doubt will be brought in.

They just can't leave things alone can they.
I think the IFAB seem to think they need to bring out new ideas all the time to justify their existence.
They have already messed up with their changes to handball and offside and the VAR system needs a total overhaul.
But they won't be content until they totally ruin our beautiful game.

My radical solution to most problems around the laws of the game. Apply the existing ones consistently throughout the games (whistle to whistle) and the season. No "it's too early to book someone", no "it's not a penalty but it would have been a free kick on the half way line", no "first foul for free if its deserving of a card", no early season clamp-down on whatever only to ease off in October. There is little point bringing in even more if you can't use those you already have!
Absolutely this, I think the ref has all the tools he needs to manage the game currently, what they need is the backing of the various powers of the game (such as the leagues, the players associations and the clubs) to apply them properly without those people getting their panties in such a bunch and threatening legal action or some sort of anti-ref media campaign when things don't go their way.

We have 9 or 10 minutes of added time nowadays? Why? Because the clubs and players incessantly waste time throughout the game. This isn't the refs fault, it's the clubs and the players and then they have the absolute temerity to moan about it afterwards. Hortin did exactly this in his latest interview with Skubala, praising him for "game management" and then expressing surprise at the 9 minutes of added time?

We have endless scrums at set pieces that aren't called as penalties? Why? Because clubs and players are determined to make sure that the ref can't call them every time otherwise each game would end up 21-20 on penalties.

If the leagues backed the refs and allowed them to referee to the rules, rather than some kind of ridiculous perceived "consensus" that players and coaching staff have come to about what constitutes an infringement then the game would be a lot better off.

You know who I mainly blame? Managers, and those twats of ex-professionals making a living out of spouting bollocks on TV about things they know very little.

"Was that a foul Clive, Roy, Geoff?" "Not for me Ray", who gives a fuck what someone like you thinks, you barely know the laws of the game. It's like asking a 5 year old who was at fault in a traffic accident.

There was one glorious moment on Match of the Day many years ago when Alan Hansen was asked about a penalty once, when the word "intent" was still in the laws. Jimmy Hill took him to task about what the law actually said and therefore how Hansen's interpretation was completely wrong. Hansen simply didn't acknowledge he didn't know what he was talking about but just announced the "law was wrong", no attempt to stop blaming the ref, no attempt to come to understand why the law was the way it was, just a bull-headed refusal to realise he had no idea what he was talking about.

And these kind of pundits and managers bleat endlessly about consistency, consistency, consistency and yet they mangle their interpretations of the rules to endlessly back their own ignorant positions.

And what do our authorities do in response? Endlessly twiddle with the laws of the game introducing more and more complicated, edge case interpretations in an attempt to fix a problem that only exists because everyone involved in football would rather blame the ref than take a good, long hard look at themselves and their pathetic, childish conduct.

Why can't they just leave the game alone, another decision for the ref to potentially get wrong. Simplyfy the game, don't make it more complex.

I agree with a lot of the comments - but what, if anything should be done about these tactical fouls?

Yeah in general the climate around refereeing makes the job impossible doesn't it. Managers pundits etc want 'consistency' but then they also want the ref to understand, let the game flow and so on. You can't have both but that doesn't matter, the ref is furiously damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. I've noticed on fan sites recently that the ref is now 'corrupt' every game their team doesn't get five penalties.

Another layer of complexity to make life even more difficult for referees.

Likely in the minority but I personally have no problem with a cynical/tactical foul. It's encouraged at basically every level and rightfully so. Chiellini on Saka in the Euros - textbook. I'd be more concerned if a player didn't have the nous to utilise such methods.

Far more pressing issues at present imo.

Maybe if managers/coaches didn't teach their players to cheat during a match then there wouldn't be such a whoha!.
cynical or tactical fouls!? You'll be wanting full body checks on the keeper next, eye gouging and only ice cold water in the physios bucket to treat injuries!!

Yes, and that principle should extend to dissent - Refs should routinely yellow card any dissent to officials - get one or two sendings off, and things would start to change. But the refs won't do it, other than in what must be extreme circumstances.

I agree with a lot of the comments - but what, if anything should be done about these tactical fouls?
The sanction is already there, the authorities just need empower refs to enforce it - if a foul where the ref thinks there's no attempt to play the ball is automatically a yellow card.

Clamp down on this, and the grappling at set pieces, and it will soon stop.

Though I noticed in the Villa Chelsea FA Cup game this week the ref failed to enforce this season's sanctions on delaying free kicks/ kicking the ball away, and adding on sufficiently for time wasting including when the ref wasted time to warn - but not book- the Chelsea keeper about time wasting.

The sanction is already there, the authorities just need empower refs to enforce it - if a foul where the ref thinks there's no attempt to play the ball is automatically a yellow card.

Clamp down on this, and the grappling at set pieces, and it will soon stop.

Though I noticed in the Villa Chelsea FA Cup game this week the ref failed to enforce this season's sanctions on delaying free kicks/ kicking the ball away, and adding on sufficiently for time wasting including when the ref wasted time to warn - but not book- the Chelsea keeper about time wasting.
Don't referees get appraised after each game? If so, they should be brought to task by being told that they failed to consistently enforce the rules. If they still fail, they should be dismissed.
As for blue cards, this is just adding complexity to the already difficult job refs have. I wouldn't mind cynical premeditated fouls being upped from a yellow to an automatic red and see if this stamps it out.

Worth noting that FIFA have already stated that this would first be trialled at low levels but the news surrounding it are currently incorrect and premature.

Worth noting that FIFA have already stated that this would first be trialled at low levels but the news surrounding it are currently incorrect and premature.
Perhaps they'll try it like they did with the no offside from free kicks rule in the late 1980s and find it doesn't work either.

I seem to remember another abortive trial of a rule change many years ago - was it in the Watney Cup? - where an imaginary line was drawn across the pitch level with the edge of the penalty area and there was no offside between there and the halfway line.

Perhaps they'll try it like they did with the no offside from free kicks rule in the late 1980s and find it doesn't work either.

I seem to remember another abortive trial of a rule change many years ago - was it in the Watney Cup? - where an imaginary line was drawn across the pitch level with the edge of the penalty area and there was no offside between there and the halfway line.

Should just change it to 'no goal hanging' as adjudicated by a shout of at least four players.