BLADES v Goooners at BDBL | Page 2 | Vital Football

BLADES v Goooners at BDBL

Absolutely gutted for Brewster. Not sure how you keep going as a player after that happens again.

Is there something seriously wrong with how we train/condition players?
I went to watch United train up at Warminster Road a few times in the late 80's. One particular day it was bucketing down, the pitch was a bog and Bassett had a 11 v 11 full tilt training game going on. Tackles galore and John Francis got walloped and was injured, limping around in pain. Bassett put him in the net!
Personally I think these days the players are being asked to be super athletes, over conditioned and probably given foods and supplements that are unnecessary.
Almost every club in the EPL at times this season has had a major injury list to contend with. Hamstring injuries back in the day were a couple of weeks out, maybe a month. Today they can be 6-9 months and are potentially career ending.
Something has gone badly wrong with players and the amount of serious injuries in modern football. A root and branch approach on a national level is required to find the cause(s).

Hang on for grim death and hope they score an own goal from a Robinson throw in.

It's hard to see anything other than a comfortable away win and 70% + possession for the visitors. It's not just on the wings they can hurt us, there's goals allover the pitch for them.

Our injury woes aren't getting better. Bettis in his pre season interview said the club acknowledge it as a problem and were looking to take steps to address it - but he was lying, just like when he said we'd made progress on planning permission for the much needed new training facility. Just 41 games and we've still got a squad of the walking wounded.

There are many more injuries these days and the days of the cortisone injections to get a player through a game have long gone.

Players are fitter stamina wise , more highly conditioned and better supervised and monitored.This, to me, has a corollary with the sheer volume of injuries that all clubs now have

Could it be that the threshold for playing has been lowered so much that what may well have been seen as a knock that you could play through is now a 'serious' medical condition that the medics say immediately rules a player out for days/week on end?

I'm not saying that players should play through so many of the injuries just that the threshold for being match fit has been lowered to such an extent that at least third of all squads are routinely ruled out due to a much more cautious approach.

The value of the 'asset' ( I say this loosely in Shyster's case!) has risen so much that , maybe, just maybe, some medics are over cautious??

Or, maybe,with wages in the stratosphere these days it's much more comfortable, much easier to live in the fitness room rather than having to earn your corn out on the pitch to keep body, soul and household together.

Absolutely gutted for Brewster. Not sure how you keep going as a player after that happens again.

Is there something seriously wrong with how we train/condition players?
What has been forgotten is that when he was at Liverpool he was out injured for a very long time before they sold him to us. The fee should have reflected this.

I wonder how many BLADES will bother turnin up toneet,i know a few that aint goin,some cos of work some cos their on holiday &some cos they think we'll get anutha hammerin.I wonder if we'll give Blaster a start,will we play wi Big Ben up top.UTB

Well I’ll be there even tho I may be back at work tomorrow (find out this afternoon at the NGH) typical late kick off cos of that, got used to lying in now 😬

Will be at the game
But, not sure if I will stay to the end
If I hadn’t got a season ticket, honestly, don’t know if would go!

If I didn't have a ST no way would I go. What is it, £42 on the Kop to watch no hopers get battered every week? Incredible.

If ST prices don't go down a lot next season I can see us selling the lowest number for a long time.

To be honest I don,t know how people can afford to attend these days, definitely out of many peoples reach, especially in todays financial climate.

To be honest I don,t know how people can afford to attend these days, definitely out of many peoples reach, especially in todays financial climate.
That fact that so many fans do still turn up both at the Lane at the Sty maybe means things aren't quite as tight around these parts as is being made out? Or maybe they're managing without the latest phones, cutting back on takeaways and holidaying in Skeggy instead of the Seychelles?

I predict Norwood will sprint after Rice at full time to get his shirt, like he did with Rodri. It'll be the first time he'll get near him all evening. Especially if we have the 'no tackles' agreement in place again.

I predict Norwood will sprint after Rice at full time to get his shirt, like he did with Rodri. It'll be the first time he'll get near him all evening. Especially if we have the 'no tackles' agreement in place again.
You really love the Blades don't you.

I remember way back playing the red cheating scousers at BDTBL…. we didn’t have a chance ….. they attacked us for 99.99999% of the game….. we won 1-0

Same tonight please

Blades 1 Gooneers 0

I remember way back playing the red cheating scousers at BDTBL…. we didn’t have a chance ….. they attacked us for 99.99999% of the game….. we won 1-0

Same tonight please

Blades 1 Gooneers 0
Gary Hamson scored the winner and Steve Conroy had his best ever game in goal for the BLADES,is that the game you're on abart BB? UTB

That fact that so many fans do still turn up both at the Lane at the Sty maybe means things aren't quite as tight around these parts as is being made out? Or maybe they're managing without the latest phones, cutting back on takeaways and holidaying in Skeggy instead of the Seychelles?
I really admire the comittment of fans who invest so much money in regularly attending, and as you say many must cut their cloth to do so.

Gary Hamson scored the winner and Steve Conroy had his best ever game in goal for the BLADES,is that the game you're on abart BB? UTB
I remember in the post match media interview, Bob Paisley saying, "Well done Sheffield United and good luck to them". An old school manager, complimentary in defeat. Lets have the same tonight Blades and hear what Arteta (El Cordobes) has to say and just how many of the media pundits are rushed to the Cardiac Arrest unit. Listening to the "Experts" on the wireless, need we bother turning up or just hand them the points?

I really admire the comittment of fans who invest so much money in regularly attending, and as you say many must cut their cloth to do so.
I tried talking my son out of being a football fan, but, stupidly he caught the bug, once bitten, that’s it, seen way too many lows, the highs have been few, but, what can you do??, just suffer, honestly, not has bad as I used to be, but, the blades still consume me , and most of the time, not in a good way,
Sheffield United Football Club are my team, will still be my team, when all these players have left, the Arab has gone, what ever division we are in
And all this time (early sixties) seen us win naff all!!!!
Even I don’t understand this love of a football club which takes and takes, and given us not a great deal to cheer
And when we do have that little bit of glory, we drink every moment of it!!
also, I fuckin hate Wednesday!!!

I tried talking my son out of being a football fan, but, stupidly he caught the bug, once bitten, that’s it, seen way too many lows, the highs have been few, but, what can you do??, just suffer, honestly, not has bad as I used to be, but, the blades still consume me , and most of the time, not in a good way,
Sheffield United Football Club are my team, will still be my team, when all these players have left, the Arab has gone, what ever division we are in
And all this time (early sixties) seen us win naff all!!!!
Even I don’t understand this love of a football club which takes and takes, and given us not a great deal to cheer
And when we do have that little bit of glory, we drink every moment of it!!
also, I fuckin hate Wednesday!!!
Great post Raysa.

Supporting the club you are born into must be the only leisure pursuit you have absolutely no choice about or control over