Billy Knott | Vital Football

Billy Knott

Kentishimp

Vital Squad Member
Rumour down here in Medway is that Gillingham, due to injuries, tried to recall Billy from his loan with us but under the loan agreement they cannot do it.

Hopefully we can sign him permanently for next season.

If I was a Gillingham fan (which thankfully I'm not) from the outside I'd be a bit annoyed if we were short of players and a player the calibre of Billy Knott is out on loan, sat on our bench!

Billy Knott in the football league with a full pre season under his belt would be a superb signing for us. In fact it would be fantastic if we could keep another 2 or 3 of the players that have been on loan this season. They have to be the best bunch of loan players we've ever had both in terms of ability and very importantly attitude.

A couple of the wide players from Ward, Ginnelly and Anderson wouldn't go amiss with their pace either.

hulloutpost - 4/4/2017 10:41

They have to be the best bunch of loan players we've ever had both in terms of ability and very importantly attitude.

That's because the Cowleys only sign players they already know about and have done their homework on, and that includes the loan signings.

I suspect previous Lincoln managers have simply picked up the phone to a random club and asked whether they had any players we could have for a few weeks.

on what I've seen, I think I'd look to sign Angol, Ward and Anderson. I'd also be thinking about Calder. He will get very few games at left back, but proved to be excellent cover against York. He showed great touch and an ability to run the ball down the wing a few times. I'd be wondering whether he could play as a naturally left footed left-midfielder, to cover Hawkridge. Everyone we play down the right are right footed.

Scotimp - 4/4/2017 13:40

hulloutpost - 4/4/2017 10:41

They have to be the best bunch of loan players we've ever had both in terms of ability and very importantly attitude.

That's because the Cowleys only sign players they already know about and have done their homework on, and that includes the loan signings.

I suspect previous Lincoln managers have simply picked up the phone to a random club and asked whether they had any players we could have for a few weeks.

I think most are more organised than that - but they don't have the depth of knowledge and study that the Cowleys have. I've also heard a number of scouting recommends are required by the Cowleys before they'll consider signing a player.

I can't quite work Knott out to be honest.

He's obviously a decent player, but I'm not overly convinced he suits us. Seems the type you'd probably have to play in a 3-man midfield or the tip of a diamond behind two front men.

Luke Imp - 4/4/2017 15:08

He's obviously a decent player, but I'm not overly convinced he suits us. Seems the type you'd probably have to play in a 3-man midfield or the tip of a diamond behind two front men.

I suspect that our style will evolve over time and if Knott was on the books it would be foolish not to have one of the plans A B or C to suit his style. He is clearly a creative player and they are gold dust at any level.

hulloutpost - 4/4/2017 15:20

Luke Imp - 4/4/2017 15:08

I suspect that our style will evolve over time and if Knott was on the books it would be foolish not to have one of the plans A B or C to suit his style. He is clearly a creative player and they are gold dust at any level.

This is true. Our current playing style is clearly an end to a means. I suspect that if we get promoted, then we will be playing a slightly more expansive style.

A means to an end.

I agree with Luke about Knott. I worry about his defensive attributes - he is clearly very good and clever going forward with the ball, and can spot and execute a pass. But I think he leaves us a bit exposed defensively, which would be exploited by better sides.

Scotimp - 4/4/2017 15:59

A means to an end.

I agree with Luke about Knott. I worry about his defensive attributes - he is clearly very good and clever going forward with the ball, and can spot and execute a pass. But I think he leaves us a bit exposed defensively, which would be exploited by better sides.

Fingers typing faster than my thought processes...

I think it's great that while Woodyard is first name on the teamsheet in midfield, we can play Power, Whitehouse, Knott & Wood alongside all who offer a different type of option

Red Wimp - 4/4/2017 20:27

I think it's great that while Woodyard is first name on the teamsheet in midfield, we can play Power, Whitehouse, Knott & Wood alongside all who offer a different type of option

like a Swiss Army midfield