Big Coat required | Vital Football

Big Coat required

LancsGordoRoad

Vital Champions League
For information of anyone heading up to Morecambe for tomorrow`s game, it`s gonna be flipping cold and very windy. Official spokesperson for the North-West TIO, Mr Kay, was heard to say "You`ll need yer big coat on Satdee, gimme five rings when yer get thur"

POTD for me tomorrow. Well done to anyone travelling up from Kent - it`s a long journey.

Club announced over 200 tickets shifted. Been to Morecambe twice, old ground and new ground, £25 for adults is ambitious pricing for me, so given the distance and associated cost I'm giving it a miss. Fair play to all those attending.

Travelling up now👍

Please note if anyone else is staying up there, look out for the trains. The Barrow - Lancaster line is completely shut, which would affect anyone staying over in the Lake District, Carnforth, Ulverston etc.

Avanti have cancelled my train up and I’m already thinking “Is this honestly worth the effort”

Train cancelled through a train fault and now the control room is down.

It's on iFollow tomorrow.

I normally go, but the landslip at Kex Gill (Blubberhouses) adds nearly an hour to the time, so I'm giving it a miss. Anyone contemplating using the A59 take note

Avanti have cancelled my train up and I’m already thinking “Is this honestly worth the effort”

Train cancelled through a train fault and now the control room is down.
Avanti West Coast Trains - local news up here has reported several very recent repeat calls from politicians (of all party colours) and traveller rep groups to strip Avanti of its contract and nationalise the West Coast service.

I still find it staggering that, after zillions of complaints and several urgent questions (about Avanti`s poor service) in Parliament, the Dept of Transport recently extended Avanti`s contract by 8 (or 9) years !! Seems a bit dodgy if you ask me

I`m in the Avanti "Delay/Repay" scheme and have had to claim back lots for delayed/cancelled trains. Bloody ruins the day when they seem unable to organise a piss-up in a brewery. Missed several Gills games now due to this mob - they`re a joke.

Aren`t you in the industry, Trev ? Can`t you aim a very heavy kick up the arse of Trenitalia (Avanti) !

Avanti West Coast Trains - local news up here has reported several very recent repeat calls from politicians (of all party colours) and traveller rep groups to strip Avanti of its contract and nationalise the West Coast service.

I still find it staggering that, after zillions of complaints and several urgent questions (about Avanti`s poor service) in Parliament, the Dept of Transport recently extended Avanti`s contract by 8 (or 9) years !! Seems a bit dodgy if you ask me

I`m in the Avanti "Delay/Repay" scheme and have had to claim back lots for delayed/cancelled trains. Bloody ruins the day when they seem unable to organise a piss-up in a brewery. Missed several Gills games now due to this mob - they`re a joke.

Aren`t you in the industry, Trev ? Can`t you aim a very heavy kick up the arse of Trenitalia (Avanti) !

I use them for work alternating train and car for my trips to the NW. Always amazed at the number of cancellations. Cynical me wonders if cancelling one of two half full trains and cramming everyone onto one overcrowded train is profit exercise.

I'd support nationalisation and cheaper train travel (no need to make dividends for shareholders so all that profit can be reinvested or used to reduce tickets) but worth remembering than many nationalised industries we very ineffective in the past.

Outside of rush hour BR as it was known were pretty good. When I left the Royal Navy in 1975 I was issued with a ticket from Plymouth to Aberdeen, I took 7 or 8 days to get there breaking my journey in Birmingham, Newcastle and Edinburgh. Try doing that today.

Avanti have massive traincrew shortages and I think it’s because of industrial reasons. A lot of Action Short of Strike (overtime bans).

I personally don’t think bringing them under public ownership will change that much in terms of staff T&Cs or pay.

Mark, I believe the cancellations are genuinely down to a lack of traincrew, but here’s an interesting fact: the train companies get charged for running a train on a train line, and from what I know it’s fixed, be it the train is full or has two people on it.

On HS1 in particular it’s a mini fortune, and to use the Channel Tunnel IIRC it’s the equivalent of £30 a passenger on a full train, hence the lack of low-cost international services.

However, on British lines the company don’t get charged if they run a train that’s officially empty and closed to the public…

Fares have just risen (again) but it seems that very few train companies have sufficient drivers to run a comprehensive service. The pay seems decent, I wonder why there is such an apparent recruitment issue and why this problem has dragged on for so long. For us in the North West, it`s been dreadful since Virgin Trains were shoved out off the tracks. Whatever the real reason, the real consequence has been a shocking fall in service and reliability.

If this latest move improves the service then I shall be pleased but shifting the stigma will require a huge amount of work and effort from Avanti. After apparently committing to improve, in accord with their new 8 or 9 year contract, Avanti appears to have done the opposite - by further reducing services, especially from Manchester.

Public Transport is a core facility. To see it fall into the current shabby state it`s in does nothing to persuade folk to leave their cars at home.

A couple of months ago, at a meeting, I actually complained directly, face to face, about the Fred Karno operation that is Avanti to an MP, who was recently a minister in the Dept of Transport. Ironically, that MP, who uses Avanti from Manchester to London, has seen Avanti cut the number of "services" from that city to Euston since the DoT extended Avanti`s franchise ! Made me chuckle.

Anyway, thanks for the update, Trev.