Best Villa side in recent history (my history that is that may not be that recent to many) | Vital Football

Best Villa side in recent history (my history that is that may not be that recent to many)

OVB

Vital Squad Member
There have been three of four really good Villa sides in my lifetime but the one that edges it for me is the 1977 team, even over the title winning side a few years later. Explosive attacking
football and a joy to behold and really hammered teams. Could possibly have won the league
if not for the fixture pile up but 4th and a League Cup was still excellent. Be interesting to hear some other views

If I recall Andy Gray needed a hat trick in the last game against the Albion to overtake Supermac for the golden boot as such and he did just that

great thread, I'd need to get my Rob Bishop AVFC book out to look at, as my memory is brain ache addled.

First team I saw was 1977 but took a good few years before I was taken (then went) regularly.

Watching Brian Little, Dennis Mortimer and teams with Paul McGrath were always a pleasure. Sid. Morley. I could go on.

I do agree with the reference to the 1994 team just above as well, although painful memories for me, I missed that final due to my brain op.

And 1996 one LOL

Also loved watching Yorke, he was a pure delight on the pitch (thought I'd best say on the pitch before one of you divs said anything about videos!)

Big Ron's league Cup winning side is the 1st villa team I really remember. I loved Tony Daley, 1st favourite player.

The 96 team were also great, the 1st year I had a season ticket. 1st game we murder utd then I've never seen I'd beat them at villa Park since! Savo was always my favourite from that team. I know it went sour at the end for him but for me that rocket at Wembley will get him a get out of jail free card.

MON's second season is the last really good villa team. Gabby, Carew, young have never been better and melberg and Laursen were superb at the back. It was also before Mon got too obsessed with only playing counter attack and before we signed Heskey, woo I blame for our downfall.

I was born in 84 so the 1992–93 team will always be the special one for me I lived in that top with the laces and the yellow 3rd kit. Big Ron era in general was fantastic and Little put together a good side too. The MON era should have been up there but for some reason it never felt the same. He splashed a load of money but didn't build anything special.

Last edited:
Gray Little Deehan yes wow

Our dad would have said
Pongo Billy Eric record 128 league goals and still runners up to Arsenal.

Shows Danny Blanchflower was right , games about the glory not about the winning.

With Alex Cropley, Frankie Carrodus and Sir Dennis behind the above three of Gray, Little & Deehan it was a sight to behold at Villa Park in the 76-77 season. Tears in my eyes just typing this up, looking at the old programmes.

I remember my Dad talking about 30-31 when Pongo, Billy & Eric .. he would have been a teenager then. Pipped by the Arsenal. Jesus, this club is just so steeped in history, it will never die. VTID

Cumbes Gidman Aitken Ross Nicholl Phillips Graydon Little Leonard Hamilton Carrodus. The last time I saw Villa win at Wembley! And I was too short to see when everyone stood up for the penalty. I'll never forget the old man - "he's perishing missed it"......... "YES, get in there!" And Wembley rocked.....

My dear old mom died in Sept 1980 - aged just 52- leaving three broken Villa fans in our house and it was if the good Lord looked down and decided that we needed something to cheer us up a little and keep us going from week to week.
The 80/81 team that won the First Division title did just that - Rimmer, Swain, McNaught, Evans, Williams, Bremner, Mortimer, Cowans, Morley, Shaw, Withe, Geddis, Deacy. Just 13 players to win the league over 42 matches. Three players scoring 48 goals between them. And let's not forget we had the best manager ever to have graced the office at Villa Park in Ron Saunders.
I am going to get the DVD out and watch the games again and listen to the true greats who have to be the best ever team that I have watched in my 54 years as a Villa fan - and then this is the team that went on to win the European Cup the following season.
In going back to my opening sentence, of the three Villa fans that were broken in 1980, there is only one left now, with the other two joining the Holte Enders in the Sky and every now and then I hear rumblings from Witton Cemetery with two Villa fans turning in their graves at what is happening at out great club. But the saying is that form is temporary but class is permanent and we will rise again. I have seen Villa go through tough times before with the 3rd Division and just like the Phoenix rises from the flames, we did then and we will do so again.

VTID
HEITS
COYL

No brainer for me. I remember 81-82 but would not have really understood the game.

It's 92-93. BFR. What football that was. Shirts were not bad either .

I remember my Dad talking about 30-31 when Pongo, Billy & Eric .. he would have been a teenager then. Pipped by the Arsenal. Jesus, this club is just so steeped in history, it will never die. VTID

My grandad will often negatively compare whatever misfiring striker we're playing to pongo waring who he saw as a child in the 30s. He's still a season ticket holder and was castigating Hogan from his wheelchair at Wembley 2 weeks ago