Benefit Tourism - Does it exist? | Vital Football

Benefit Tourism - Does it exist?

Innispurs

Vital 1st Team Regular
Apparently not, according to the government's own statistics, though with the pronouncements of senior Tories, including Cameron and Hague, you'd think it was a major problem. These guys are just running scared of UKIP and pandering to the UKIP message. Read this analysis of the figures for immigrants on benefits and make up your own minds.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/03/how-ministers-are-scaremongering-over-benefit-tourism

they are still taking jobs which we can't provide anyway. That's detrimental enough. The fact that more national born people are on benefits doesn't surprise me though. There are far too many British people who leech off the tax payers money - many because the lack of skills they possess would not get them a job that pays better than the benefits they receive.

Innispurs - 4/3/2013 14:57

Apparently not, according to the government's own statistics, though with the pronouncements of senior Tories, including Cameron and Hague, you'd think it was a major problem. These guys are just running scared of UKIP and pandering to the UKIP message. Read this analysis of the figures for immigrants on benefits and make up your own minds.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/03/how-ministers-are-scaremongering-over-benefit-tourism

They're right to run scared of UKIP, UKIP are gaining cross party traction.

Of course they're still only a one policy issue party, but if it gets parties to keep their promises and have a vote on the EU or forces them to readdress the balance (great to see that the HR act is going to be taken on, which I very much doubt the conservatives would have done without the pressure of losing votes to UKIP), then I'm all for it...as for the question of benefit tourists no matter how much of the immigrant population they make up, they just shouldn't - at least not until they've made a proper contribution.

The problem with insisting that immigrants get no benefits until they contribute is that this would have to be the policy for British subjects as well and as we know, UK citizens are entitled to many benefits that they haven't (yet) contributed to.

The point here, though, is that Cameron and Hague used the term 'benefit tourists' - one they ripped off from UKIP - but the concept DOES NOT EXIST,NEVER DID EXIST and is statistically, logically and evidentially an absurdity (like much of what UKIP says).

Innispurs - 4/3/2013 20:10

The problem with insisting that immigrants get no benefits until they contribute is that this would have to be the policy for British subjects as well and as we know, UK citizens are entitled to many benefits that they haven't (yet) contributed to.

The point here, though, is that Cameron and Hague used the term 'benefit tourists' - one they ripped off from UKIP - but the concept DOES NOT EXIST,NEVER DID EXIST and is statistically, logically and evidentially an absurdity (like much of what UKIP says).

Like most politicians; they're prone to a soundbite, but just because the actual number of benefits tourists within social benefits might be smaller than some may have thought - it still exists, and it doesn't end there - housing benefits, and most critically free NHS are all part of the problem, at the trust where I advised, I can absolutely gurantee it exits with very large financial costs, and our Hospital trust was one of those that actually suffered lower numbers than most.

So we can try pretend it isn't a problem or we can take a full proper look at what's going on and how long it's gone on and what (if anything) we can do about it.

We need far more British people in jobs working for a living, paying tax, and less people allowed in from abroad claiming benefits and using the NHS. SIMPLE MATHS. If you have a population that is increasing and many have not paid into the system but need to take out of it, then you have a negative economy which is letting more money out than has been brought in. There's nothing hard to understand there. LET'S GET BACK TO MANAGING THE BOOKS. When we have enough money in the coffers to pay for these NEW immigrants, NEW additions to the system, THEN we should let them draw off the system but NOT UNTIL then. IMMIGRANTS MUST contribute enough to pay for what they want out of the system.

You don't go out and buy a new car until you have the wherewithal to pay for it. No government should do the same and if the EU says that we must then let the EU put money into our economy to cover the cost. If, as Labour seems to think, we can pay for everyone to have everything and just go into debt for it, we will continue down the steep slope into bankruptcy that they put us on every time they get into power. Then we have to bring in a very conservative government to bring us back and stop all the spending. WE TO AND FRO in our politics in this country and it costs us a fortune. We need a government that sets the economy right and keeps it right and stops all the extra pressures that others try and put on it.

(AND PIGS FLEW OVERHEAD, when will we get that?)

Innis makes good points about our own not bothering to get jobs. half of swansea for example are on benefits, and there is a high rate of incidence of teenage pregnancies. My wife once joked she wanted another kid because she didn't like going back to work after our second. But that's the kind of attitude teenage girls are being brought up with in deprived areas like this.

Not getting a job is just poor thinking really. I've always said, I would fill shelves in the local supermarket or travel even to fill shelves, if I didn't have my job. Work is a good thing. You meet people, even if you sweep the streets. It gets you exercise and brings in legitimate money that you don't feel you owe anyone for. It's an all round winner for me. You make friends, you make money, what more can you ask for? Wasting time is an awful thing, you don't achieve anything. To me, the morale side of having a job is a bonus in itself.

Cor blimey-Ask yourselves why so many Big Issue sellers are foreigners (Romanians) these days? Being self-employed means you get around the rules re benefits and can claim straight away, which they have realised, and done. UKIP is right about this, and the usual left-wing apologists seek to marginalise those who question such largesse, and not only play the race card, but beat us with it as well. The recipients probably laugh at you Innispurs, with your noble but deluded assertions, but for those of us who have to pay for this, we are less than amused. Distractions such a UK born leeches deserve opprobrium, and the same treatment, but if you headline a piece 'benefit tourism' and wish to deal with such, introducing indigenous sh*theads should not distract from the topic.