🚹 Ben Davies - Player Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

🚹 Ben Davies - Player Thread

I don't think it will make any difference if he was, RD. The players won't listen to him. Why would they? He's won nothing and largely been an understudy for his whole career at Spurs.

Porro and Udogie are already playing at a higher level than he has ever reached. They'll just continuing doing their own thing until the cavalry returns.

The solid first teamers available are Venom, Porro, Udogie, Bentancur, Kulu, BJ and Richi. Perhaps Sarr.

3 or 4 of them is where that armband belongs, not one of these underperforming reserves.

My choice would be Bentancur, probably passing the armband to Porro if he cannot complete the game.

Ange clearly overlooked Ben for the captaincy, even the joint vice captaincy, so if he were given the armband in the absence of the three current holders it would only be a one off I guess.

I have to say.........I have found a lot of the comments about Ben in recent posts to be rather disrespectful, the guy may not be good enough to meet our aspirations going forward but he has served our club loyally and contributed to a number of top 4 finishes and getting the club to a CL final. I think we owe him a bit more respect.

Ange clearly overlooked Ben for the captaincy, even the joint vice captaincy, so if he were given the armband in the absence of the three current holders it would only be a one off I guess.

I have to say.........I have found a lot of the comments about Ben in recent posts to be rather disrespectful, the guy may not be good enough to meet our aspirations going forward but he has served our club loyally and contributed to a number of top 4 finishes and getting the club to a CL final. I think we owe him a bit more respect.
I respect Ben the man very much. He seems like a really good guy and he has a lot of good personal qualities and attributes that you'd like to see in a person.

My comments are purely to do with Ben the footballer. It's not personal. And I try to back it up with specific aspects of his game rather than make sweeping generalisations about him. I'm sure others see it differently.

What's always missing though when posters put forward a defence of Ben are his qualities as a defender. Describing him as a steady eddie, reliable etc,. tells us nothing and makes it very difficult to discuss one way or another.

The fact that he has been here and served the club loyally shouldn't prevent us critiquing him as a defender. You could argue he's made a fantastic living being here, one which he wouldn't get anywhere else if he left. I think the club and the fans have been very loyal to Ben. But then I think that about all footballers.

It's a fine line with being respectful, and being honest with an assessment of any player. I think anyone who has called Dier and Davies out have had every right to do so. Especially when it's a common trait.

It's business as far as I'm concerned. I have never understood blind loyalty to average players.

I can't stand players chucking their team mates under the bus either. It's an horrendous trait and tells me a lot about their characters.

They will both swan off with tens of millions and ultimately they have never got close to help us win anything. No sympathy from me.

It's a fine line with being respectful, and being honest with an assessment of any player. I think anyone who has called Dier and Davies out have had every right to do so. Especially when it's a common trait.

It's business as far as I'm concerned. I have never understood blind loyalty to average players.

I can't stand players chucking their team mates under the bus either. It's an horrendous trait and tells me a lot about their characters.

They will both swan off with tens of millions and ultimately they have never got close to help us win anything. No sympathy from me.
I've never seen him as anything other than what he is but you have to acknowledge the part he has played in keeping the club at a fairly decent level while we were undergoing all of the trials and tribulations of the new stadium development. Our inability to buy better quality during that time due to the financial restraints meant we had to rely on players like Ben. We've now got over the hill and the increasing revenues allows us to look higher in terms of quality which will inevitably lead to our longer serving players being moved on as we are seeing with Hugo and Dier, Davies will naturally follow in due course with thanks for his service to our club.

I respect Ben the man very much. He seems like a really good guy and he has a lot of good personal qualities and attributes that you'd like to see in a person.

My comments are purely to do with Ben the footballer. It's not personal. And I try to back it up with specific aspects of his game rather than make sweeping generalisations about him. I'm sure others see it differently.

What's always missing though when posters put forward a defence of Ben are his qualities as a defender. Describing him as a steady eddie, reliable etc,. tells us nothing and makes it very difficult to discuss one way or another.

The fact that he has been here and served the club loyally shouldn't prevent us critiquing him as a defender. You could argue he's made a fantastic living being here, one which he wouldn't get anywhere else if he left. I think the club and the fans have been very loyal to Ben. But then I think that about all footballers.

Gary throwing me under the buss for calling him Steady Eddie....thanks man!! LOL

I've never seen him as anything other than what he is but you have to acknowledge the part he has played in keeping the club at a fairly decent level while we were undergoing all of the trials and tribulations of the new stadium development. Our inability to buy better quality during that time due to the financial restraints meant we had to rely on players like Ben. We've now got over the hill and the increasing revenues allows us to look higher in terms of quality which will inevitably lead to our longer serving players being moved on as we are seeing with Hugo and Dier, Davies will naturally follow in due course with thanks for his service to our club.

He reminds me of Dawson.

Naybet-King
Woodgate-King
Gallas-King
Kaboul-King

3, probably 4, better partnerships than the King-Dawson one. Then you consider we had to pair Dawson with those names, lol, and even Bassong. Dawson was the guy that was always fit and available for selection. We tried to relegate him to a squad player but he ended up playing well over 200 games for the club. Even got the captaincy.

When you look at Ben, he was second fiddle to Rose. We've then tried to improve the LB area with Reggie, Sess and now Udogie. In the 3 at the back system, Conte wanted Bastoni but got Lenglet. A bunch of injuries later and now Ben has way over 200 appearances as well.

2 great guys that you wish you could bless with more ability.

Doesn't change anything though. This club only wins trophies when we move beyond these type of players.

Gary throwing me under the buss for calling him Steady Eddie....thanks man!! LOL
You weren't the first by a long shot to give him that moniker! That's why I quoted it.

I don't even know what it means in football terms. It's far too vague to be a useful discussion point. Deliberately so, probably.

And no, that wasn't an invitation to explain......

You weren't the first by a long shot to give him that moniker! That's why I quoted it.

I don't even know what it means in football terms. It's far too vague to be a useful discussion point. Deliberately so, probably.

And no, that wasn't an invitation to explain......

Hopefully you know that I am just messing with ya! (hence the LOL)

Let me develop a long winded explanation.....