Ben Amos | Vital Football

Ben Amos

Kevin sheldon

Vital Youth Team
I think he looked fairly secure last season on our way to winning the title but reasonably well protected and not put under too much pressure. He looked better recently though not totally convincing. At times this season I think he has been very poor hence losing your place to Jamie Jones with great respect to Jamie who actually performed reasonably well and was unlucky to lose his place. Too many times he has been weak and in heavy defeats he had looked like a traffic cone. The post was inspired by just witnessing the penalty. It was his ball all day long and his lack of bravery in that moment when we were one nil up means he is done by me. We need to do better in the goalkeepi
ng department. A top class one at the level you are at makes such a difference. We need a new keeper next season priority

He doesn’t deserve a thread of his own. He’s simply one of a number of players within our squad who isn’t good enough for the Championship.

A valid point though I think the keeper is a crucial position and to some extent he has gone under the radar in comparison to our other weaknesses. Of course players who can finish at this level is a priority but goalkeeper can win you a good few points by being at their best at crucial times in a match.

Amos is unfortunately not a Championship keeper. We knew that before the season started but we didn't recruit and we are paying for it.

Jones isn't perfect but I'd probably go with him over Amos.

Think I'd be tempted to say the same, not sure Jones is good enough over a long period, but over 10 or so games, I'd trust him over Amos. Amos can't be blamed for an horrendous pen decision, but if he just dives on it, even Ryan Lowe reffing couldn't have given a pen

Jones was picked over Amos in The Kolo chapter Jones distributes better but there both have the same level of ability, Championship GK's aren't cheap.

No they're not - so why on earth did we let Lee Nicholls go all those years back. Until his recent injury he was Huddersfield's first choice keeper (and I think he was also their first choice last season as well. However, we deemed him surplus to requirements having come through our academy!

No they're not - so why on earth did we let Lee Nicholls go all those years back. Until his recent injury he was Huddersfield's first choice keeper (and I think he was also their first choice last season as well. However, we deemed him surplus to requirements having come through our academy!
Because he was playing very poorly and was slated by most fans as "not good enough". I've not looked but im sure there are reams of comments on here about how poor he was.

He was poor for us though. Fair play to the lad for eventually becoming a no1 at Championship level but it took him a long time after he left us to get to that and there wasn't much sign he'd ever do it while he was here.

Sometimes players need to get different experiences working under different coaches at different clubs to improve - Nicholls wasn't ready to be our no1 and if he stayed as back up he'd probably have never improved without playing regularly. I don't think we made the wrong call letting him go, as I don't think he'd have got to the level of performance he was last season for us if he'd have stayed here.

He was poor for us though. Fair play to the lad for eventually becoming a no1 at Championship level but it took him a long time after he left us to get to that and there wasn't much sign he'd ever do it while he was here.

Sometimes players need to get different experiences working under different coaches at different clubs to improve - Nicholls wasn't ready to be our no1 and if he stayed as back up he'd probably have never improved without playing regularly. I don't think we made the wrong call letting him go, as I don't think he'd have got to the level of performance he was last season for us if he'd have stayed here.
Yes Nicholls very poor for us. Clearly matured in recent years. I remember him costing us a game in Europe at home. Maybe Zulte Waregem?

Yes Nicholls very poor for us. Clearly matured in recent years. I remember him costing us a game in Europe at home. Maybe Zulte Waregem?

Definitely Zulte, when you see it from behind his goal, it's almost like he's anticipating where he's going to thrown/kick the ball before he's caught the shot, in fairness to him, he can't be blamed for us not already being 3 up which we should have been. Cost us a trip to Seville...at that point I hated football

But the problem was he was quite young when he left us and we all know that most goalkeepers do not mature until later in their 20's (I know there are some exceptions to this). Perhaps we shouldn't have been so quick to let him leave - but hey, I'm no goalkeeping expert so not sure how you tackle issues like this. Maybe keep them on the books but send them out to other lower league clubs to help them learn by playing more 1st team games? It just seems daft to invest in them for so long, to let them go, and then find they are playing well at the level you are! As was said in an earlier post if we wanted him back it would now cost us!

But the problem was he was quite young when he left us and we all know that most goalkeepers do not mature until later in their 20's (I know there are some exceptions to this). Perhaps we shouldn't have been so quick to let him leave - but hey, I'm no goalkeeping expert so not sure how you tackle issues like this. Maybe keep them on the books but send them out to other lower league clubs to help them learn by playing more 1st team games? It just seems daft to invest in them for so long, to let them go, and then find they are playing well at the level you are! As was said in an earlier post if we wanted him back it would now cost us!

Surprised nobody has liked or commented on this list alharry because it is 100% accurate. If we are to bring through a goalkeeper then they have to be allowed to garner years of experience on loan. They need to go through the non league pyramid and become battle hardened before being loaned out to leagues 2 and 3. As you say there are some exceptions who just take to goalkeeping and are first choice at an early age, De Gea and Donnaruma being the highest profile ones but then of course De Gea could have been doing that here and Nicholls would have gone anyway, he could have even been playing in a Wigan athletic side containing Josep Guardiola at the time too but both deals fell at the last hurdle, less said about that one the better. If, as a club the willingness to bring a keeper though was there then they (coaches) should have persevered and brought him along. If they deemed him not good enough then it was bad judgement on their part.

Definitely Zulte, when you see it from behind his goal, it's almost like he's anticipating where he's going to thrown/kick the ball before he's caught the shot, in fairness to him, he can't be blamed for us not already being 3 up which we should have been. Cost us a trip to Seville...at that point I hated football

Didn't Coyle drop him and he never really played again?

Came in because our keeper (carson?) got injured before the game at Charlton, played great for a few games, made the big mistake and then didn't play more than a few games for us before he left.

Didn't Coyle drop him and he never really played again?

Came in because our keeper (carson?) got injured before the game at Charlton, played great for a few games, made the big mistake and then didn't play more than a few games for us before he left.

Correct, he played well for a few games, made a couple of cock ups, got slated by some and lost confidence. Moved on next season.

I think it was the Barnsley game at the end of the season that finally did for him if my memory is correct. Mind you the unprofessional way we approached that game after winning the title at Blackpool didn't do many of the players reputations much good that day.

Because he was playing very poorly and was slated by most fans as "not good enough". I've not looked but im sure there are reams of comments on here about how poor he was.
He still is crap. It was always going to take a goalkeeping howler for Callum Lang to score a Championship goal and Nicholls provided it.