Becoming an exile ? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Becoming an exile ?

Low or Higher (never High) Bentham?

I was born in the Royal Lancaster Infirmary opposite the lino factory.
They only refer to Low Bentham and Bentham. Most of Williamson's factories are gone but there is much in the city to mark his presence - later Lord Ashton. Currently, I'm researching if Williamson is part of the Math School founder, Joseph Williamson. They were both born in Cumberland and went to St Bees school and there are some uncanny similarities in their coats of arms.

A senior railcard is a good deal, but as I remember the nearest railway station to Croyde is Barnstaple about 10 miles away. I gather nowadays free parking there seems non existent, though there is a bus service.

You're correct mate although I'll still look into it.
Where I'm moving to is over an hour away from the nearest motorway junction.
That's part of the attraction but also a bit of a problem when looking at going to matches.
I didn't realise how spoiled I am in Kent for transport links

You're correct mate although I'll still look into it.
Where I'm moving to is over an hour away from the nearest motorway junction.
That's part of the attraction but also a bit of a problem when looking at going to matches.
I didn't realise how spoiled I am in Kent for transport links
In terms of rail connections, the South West is very poorly served but things are changing. It'll take time but progress is being made. But that's also the beauty of North Devon, I guess.

Anyone able to "dash through the tunnel" these days is quite lucky. I think Rotherhithe`s question is not an easy one to answer; at the end of the day I think that we are each entitled to self-identify as Exile. If only the club would recognise the status - and reduce admission price by a fiver ... :santa:
We have a bridge now ?

Out of interest, is it as the crow flies or linear trip distance? I'm further away that AK by road but in a direct line I'm nearer. Should get myself a boat

Croyde Bay is one of my favourite beaches. With year round surfing and masses of golden sands you won't be bored. Add to that the close proximity to beautiful Exmoor and one of the best carverys for miles in nearby Braunton and you'll soon be compensated for the anguish of following a league one club with a bottom four budget.
And there's always this forum to have a jolly good moan on about Gills (or anything else).

Yes me too, I love Croyde, I I think it will be a winner to spend a lot of your days down there then back for BIG matches or those around south west and cheltenham/south West Midlands games!

I've lived in Glasgow the last couple of years. Able to get to a few northern away games and a couple of home games at Christmas/New Year when visiting family in Kent, but otherwise I'm restricted to the odd live stream on iFollow and reading match reports etc.

I've used the opportunity to watch Scottish football and see more of the country while at it. The distance also has its blessings, when it comes to disappointing results, controversial management sackings/appointments, and the annoying arguing and complaining that seems to always go on amongst our fans. In many ways the last 2 years have been good ones in which to be absent.

Watching other football is never quite the same though, and the distance has meant I enioy the rare occasions I get to watch us live even more.

Shotshy, regarding keeping in touch with the Gills, you have to check out 'Gills in The Blood TV' which is on YouTube. You get a Thursday evening preview of the weekends upcoming game of around 15-20 minutes and all that's gone on at the club that week. Matchday coverage shown on a Saturday evening of that day's game, no action of the match, but the lads are at the match commenting blow by blow. Then there's the Monday night round up.
Keeps you up to date with everything Gills, thoroughly recommended.

Shotshy, regarding keeping in touch with the Gills, you have to check out 'Gills in The Blood TV' which is on YouTube. You get a Thursday evening preview of the weekends upcoming game of around 15-20 minutes and all that's gone on at the club that week. Matchday coverage shown on a Saturday evening of that day's game, no action of the match, but the lads are at the match commenting blow by blow. Then there's the Monday night round up.
Keeps you up to date with everything Gills, thoroughly recommended.
That's Thursday and Monday nights sorted

Tomorrow is my last home game for some time.
Moving on Monday

It's been a busy time.
Houses sold
Shops sold
House bought
New lease on a shop in Braunton as Mrs Shotshy isn't quite ready to put her feet up, unlike me.

North Devon, here we come.
Let's hope that it stops raining long enough to unpack.

Moving on Monday

It's been a busy time.
Houses sold
Shops sold
House bought
New lease on a shop in Braunton as Mrs Shotshy isn't quite ready to put her feet up, unlike me.

Good luck mate ??

Interesting question. I`d say 128 miles, but i`ve no idea why

Is it better to measure it in time from ground? And if so, could you have 2 people who live in the same house - one being an exile (because they have to take public transport) and the other not being an exile (because they have a helicopter)?

Moving on Monday

It's been a busy time.
Houses sold
Shops sold
House bought

Good luck with your move and enjoy your cream teas and pasties.

Is it better to measure it in time from ground? And if so, could you have 2 people who live in the same house - one being an exile (because they have to take public transport) and the other not being an exile (because they have a helicopter)?

I think we`ll need to get the Eggheads to work that one out ! But, being a member of the Rotary Club shouldn`t be an automatic entitlement to non-exile status.

Moving on Monday

It's been a busy time.
Houses sold
Shops sold
House bought

Good luck mate, and enjoy the rain... :-)

Moving on Monday

It's been a busy time.
Houses sold
Shops sold
House bought

Good luck! Bit jealous but recommend the Williams Arms for a great carvery when you are settled in.
What shop did you buy? (if that's not a rude question) We have family in Braunton so are often there or passing through.

Moving on Monday

It's been a busy time.
Houses sold
Shops sold
House bought

I'll visit when I'm down in Teignmouth and buy you a sherry

Good luck! Bit jealous but recommend the Williams Arms for a great carvery when you are settled in.
What shop did you buy? (if that's not a rude question) We have family in Braunton so are often there or passing through.

Rent, not buy.
It will be high(ish) end ladies fashion and accessories, as that is what we know well and have done ok with.
Braunton seems to be pretty affluent, as is much of this part of north Devon.
Chips on Ilfracombe pier this time next week.