Bamber Bridge | Page 2 | Vital Football

Bamber Bridge

No Bennett, Tilt or Keane. A reason was given for Keane.
Anything on the other two ?

Tilt and Bennett have both been training but must not match ready.

I think Keane might not be back in full training yet as he was training and playing with Ireland a couple of weeks back - so probably given a little extra recovery time. McClean was also playing with Ireland but presumably he didn't want the extra time off.

Bennett has been a bad signing, McGrath being hotly chased now by Dundee Utd

TBH mate, I would say that Bennett was a risky signing not a bad one.

Sometimes you have to take that risk at the level we are and sometimes it doesn't pay off, other times, as in the case of Will Keane, it does.

If you don't take the risk you never find out. When Bennett was signed there was an optimism around the club that we had signed an experienced Championship left back and people were happy with that signing, had the club turned down the chance to sign him people would then be saying the same things that are being said now, why didn't we sign him, shocking decision by the club, etc, etc.

It is very easy for us as fans to criticise the clubs decision to buy a player, but there is an element of damned if you do and damned if you don't with every signing.

Sometimes you have to take that risk at the level we are and sometimes it doesn't pay off, other times, as in the case of Will Keane, it does.

If you don't take the risk you never find out. When Bennett was signed there was an optimism around the club that we had signed an experienced Championship left back and people were happy with that signing, had the club turned down the chance to sign him people would then be saying the same things that are being said now, why didn't we sign him, shocking decision by the club, etc, etc.

It is very easy for us as fans to criticise the clubs decision to buy a player, but there is an element of damned if you do and damned if you don't with every signing.

I think we signed Bennett on deadline day assuming Pearce was about to leave to join Barnsley after we accepted something like 450k bid, but he ended up rejecting the move.

If the Barnsley bid never came in i do suspect we'd not have taken Bennett on, but everything is frantic on deadline day and who would've expected Pearce to turn down Championship football when he was not getting in our side.

I think Bennett was a good player on paper and looked quite good when he was fit, but he's just not been fit that often and it's a position we are well over stocked in with another 4 players able to play left back.

Fair points you make, but by bad I was referring mainly to his fitness, not his ability. As for Will Keane I like the lad but I really fear he will struggle in the Championship.

I think we signed Bennett on deadline day assuming Pearce was about to leave to join Barnsley after we accepted something like 450k bid, but he ended up rejecting the move.

If the Barnsley bid never came in i do suspect we'd not have taken Bennett on, but everything is frantic on deadline day and who would've expected Pearce to turn down Championship football when he was not getting in our side.

I think Bennett was a good player on paper and looked quite good when he was fit, but he's just not been fit that often and it's a position we are well over stocked in with another 4 players able to play left back.
4 left backs - that's a relief! So Darikwa's not forced to play left back.

It is a gamble just like Pilkington and Fox but things work both ways and iron themselves out. Who would have thought Will Keane would have contributed so much to our promotion. Whatmough too had had a career blighted with injury previously. Hopefully Bennet can shake the bad luck off.

Fair points you make, but by bad I was referring mainly to his fitness, not his ability. As for Will Keane I like the lad but I really fear he will struggle in the Championship.

I understand what you are saying but I still disagree with the term "bad" as that intimates that the player is not a decent player.

As I say it was a risky signing but one I would support if we have to make a similar decision this season.

Given our situation and lack of a major transfer budget I would not be surprised if we are looking toward signings of this nature to get the experience into the squad.

We are going to have to take a chance on signing players who do not fit at other clubs for either injury reasons or simply that they don't fit into the managers plans as I seriously doubt our ability this season to lure established first team regulars away from any Championship clubs with offers of better wages or the promise of a promotion run.