Away Goals Scrapped - UEFA Comps. | Vital Football

Away Goals Scrapped - UEFA Comps.

More penalty shootouts then
Yes. I think there has been a tendency to forget how games panned out before the AGR was introduced. It was intended to incentivise teams to score and avoid sides that gain an advantage in the first tie simply parking the bus in the second fixture And thus producing dry, staid, dull football……..I think UEFA have short memories.

Yes. I think there has been a tendency to forget how games panned out before the AGR was introduced. It was intended to incentivise teams to score and avoid sides that gain an advantage in the first tie simply parking the bus in the second fixture And thus producing dry, staid, dull football……..I think UEFA have short memories.
I get your point but conversely, without AGR, then both sides can equally go for it in the second tie whatever the score is from the first leg.

I think they will stick to this for the time being, the away games last season were equalised by no fans, big difference when you have clubs that allow intimidation and then when the playing field is level, the best team wins.

Back in the Sixties and Seventies, ties were decided at times by drawing of lots/toss of a coin, replay, and, if still level, the first method.
Were these the same days when teams played on Christmas Day and then the reverse fixture on Boxing Day? Can you imagine the fuss the players/managers would make today eh?

Were these the same days when teams played on Christmas Day and then the reverse fixture on Boxing Day? Can you imagine the fuss the players/managers would make today eh?

For example, Gornik, City's opponents in the 1970 European Cup Winners Cup - they played Roma in the semi final (including Capello for the Italians), the game went to a replay, no winner after extra time there, and won on the toss of a coin.

In helping Simon Curtis for his forthcoming book, I came across on YouTube a programme in Polish, covering, it seemed, Gornik's 1969/70 season, and in the opening scenes, if memory serves, is a shot of a group of people in a circle and the commentator shouting out 'POLSKA! POLSKA!' as they realise what's happened.

Of course, the following season, City-Gornik was repeated at the quarter final stage, and, after 2-2 on aggregate, City won 3-1 after the replay in Copenhagen.