Away game | Page 2 | Vital Football

Away game

Portsmouth isn't a bad shout but I'd personally stay a little further out in somewhere plesant and scenic like Lymington or the New Forest. Or even on the Isle of Wight (but avoid Shanklin and Sandown).

As someone else has mentioned, there are some good pubs near Charlton and the designated away pub- The Antigallican- is right by the station and has a hotel attached to it. And whilst it has been rammed when I've been in there for a Gills game, it's still quite cavernous and atmospheric, and I still have fond memories of the place (for both footballing and non-footballing reasons). That said, I used to pop in the place when the trains have been fvcked (when I lived in Medway). There should also still be a nice Chinese and a kebab shop opposite the station (though I've not been there for about four years or so now). Of course, there's also the Anchor And Hope (if being by the Thames and watching planes taking off from City Airport is your thing) and the Red Lion near the O2/North Greenwich but I would expect these are home fans only. Blackheath is a little further away and the O'Neills probably the best faux-Irish, Steinway-style franchise pub in London. Being on London's doorstep also means your a jubilee line train ride from some of the best bars and restaurants in London (but stay away from the Aberdeen Steakhouses). Perhaps you should consult your missus, given that this is her manor! :)

Dunno about the term Headington. I knew it as the Manor Ground.
Proper old school. Open terrace at one end and half way down one side where we were usually herded to. I remember one time (probs late 70's under Gerry Summers) where the crowd was given as a bit over 4k, and probably 2 or 3 thou was Gills. Good times. But I think it kicked off that day too. Pretty sure it was that game our coach got bricked. Probably other coaches too. The worst part of following football back then.

I remember me and a mate being chased down the street after they hammered us in the league cup back in the 80s when they were division 1. Also think they had a few riots in the early 90s.

Portsmouth isn't a bad shout but I'd personally stay a little further out in somewhere plesant and scenic like Lymington or the New Forest. Or even on the Isle of Wight (but avoid Shanklin and Sandown).

As someone else has mentioned, there are some good pubs near Charlton and the designated away pub- The Antigallican- is right by the station and has a hotel attached to it. And whilst it has been rammed when I've been in there for a Gills game, it's still quite cavernous and atmospheric, and I still have fond memories of the place (for both footballing and non-footballing reasons). That said, I used to pop in the place when the trains have been fvcked (when I lived in Medway). There should also still be a nice Chinese and a kebab shop opposite the station (though I've not been there for about four years or so now). Of course, there's also the Anchor And Hope (if being by the Thames and watching planes taking off from City Airport is your thing) and the Red Lion near the O2/North Greenwich but I would expect these are home fans only. Blackheath is a little further away and the O'Neills probably the best faux-Irish, Steinway-style franchise pub in London. Being on London's doorstep also means your a jubilee line train ride from some of the best bars and restaurants in London (but stay away from the Aberdeen Steakhouses). Perhaps you should consult your missus, given that this is her manor! :)
I may be misunderstanding this myself, but I think you've misunderstood the post harrow gill. The bloke's from Welling and no doubt knows where to go around Charlton. I think he was more looking for locations for other away days that might make a nice weekend away.

I am off to Wycombe on the invite of a friend who is a ST there so that will be a new one for me.
If you are doing Charlton then it’s got to be Meantime Brewery on Blackwall Lane. I work just on the tunnel and this is my work local. Good ale or lager if you fancy plus decent food. Easy walk to Charlton too.

As long as you avoid yorkshire, you'll do ok.

Personally, I'd go for Shrewsbury. I like Portsmouth as a place, but it can be rough in the evenings/weekends so don't stay in the town.

Never been to Walsall, but Birmingham is a great place (avoid Coventry, it's as much of a dump as yorkshire).

I may be misunderstanding this myself, but I think you've misunderstood the post harrow gill. The bloke's from Welling and no doubt knows where to go around Charlton. I think he was more looking for locations for other away days that might make a nice weekend away.

I though that as his missus was a Charlton that they both probably lived in Gravesend or Strood and that she busses it up to the Valley every fortnight and doesn't drink anywhere near the ground (especially as the Antigallican, the nearest pub to the ground, is an away fan only pub).

My suggestion was only partly tongue in cheek, given that I used to work with a Charlton fan from Tonbridge who was pretty clueless about the surrounding area near the ground.