Away game atmosphere | Vital Football

Away game atmosphere

RainhamGill

Vital Youth Team
I went to the game on Saturday. In the past I've always preferred the atmosphere of away games: people have made more of an effort to be there so they're usually more enthusiastic about supporting their team and making some noise, instead of sitting there grumbling like many of our fans that only go to home games.

On Saturday however I was disappointed. I was disappointed with the performance and the result, but also with our fans: Within a few minutes of the kick off various groups are shouting abuse at Scally or Evans or both, and those trying to get a song of "Steve Evans' barmy army" are quickly booed. Is this what it's like to support the Gills now? Are we now so fractured and angry that we'd rather shout abuse at each other and engage in battles with our fellow fans than support our team?

Was that more due to the performance though?

It seemed fans were very upbeat and loud in numbers at Donny and loud at the Blackpool game. At least that’s what I read.

I found it similar when I went to the Bristol Rovers away game 2 or 3 years ago. At 0-0 and then 1-0 up for the majority of the game our (few) fans were decent and supportive. 2 late goals for Rovers saw our fans not just turn dispirited and a bit glum, but downright feral, abusive and very personal towards PS and our then manager JED (rip).

It astonished me having seen my last Gills game and crowd nearly 30 years previously. Reactions back then seemed a lot tamer in my memory.

Was that more due to the performance though?

It seemed fans were very upbeat and loud in numbers at Donny and loud at the Blackpool game. At least that’s what I read.

I found it similar when I went to the Bristol Rovers away game 2 or 3 years ago. At 0-0 and then 1-0 up for the majority of the game our (few) fans were decent and supportive. 2 late goals for Rovers saw our fans not just turn dispirited and a bit glum, but downright feral, abusive and very personal towards PS and our then manager JED (rip).

It astonished me having seen my last Gills game and crowd nearly 30 years previously. Reactions back then seemed a lot tamer in my memory.
This was right from the get-go. From what I could see it was 2-4 individuals (not a good view though, given I was around the same rows but the next block over) but still loud given the acoustics of the away end.

I was surprised to see the home attendance that high, personally. Seem to be more people either sympathising with the Club on this situation, or just not seething enough to protest?

Last edited:
And there was some pillock seating in front of me, who get shooting, bring back Steve Lovell. I don't know why some of these morons bother to go

At most of the away games I've attended in recent years, the atmosphere's usually brilliant from Gills fans; Portsmouth, Charlton, Southend etc.
Could it be that it was a large stadium, with very few people in where it's difficult to generate any sort of atmosphere?
I remember when we went Wembley thinking that the atmosphere wasn't as good as the previous away game at Brentford!