Austin Penalty | Vital Football

Austin Penalty

normarrowsmith

Vital Newbie
Should this have been allowed / retaken?
Ball is clearly not on the penalty spot and is closer to the goal.
Surprised this has not been noticed .

Another thing about Charlie not noticed or talked about much. German Gills on Twitter showed some footage where Charlie Austin appears to round arm punch Dave Tutonda in the stomach as he ran by. Dave went down like the proverbial bag of, definitely not a fake dive. And Dom Jeffries really reacted angrily. Ref did nothing.

Anyone else see the footage? Definite red I reckon and it would have been a completely different 2nd half. Happened close to half time I believe.

edit - see if this link works

Should this have been allowed / retaken?
Ball is clearly not on the penalty spot and is closer to the goal.
Surprised this has not been noticed .
Unless the penalty spot is scuffed the ball should be fully on the spot.

If scuffed i would insist on the ball being placed BEHIND the spot.

"Neither Penalty should have been given."
The Swindon rep on BBC Wiltshire said that.

And seeing the (brief) but replayed "handballs" both Penalties wrong.

The first was not only fast and at short range, it hit the Swindon player's head.

The second was point blank and Wright (?) was trying to pull out of the way.

On the Handball Rule it seems that either:
a) some Referees (and Pundits) have forgotten "part B" of the "unnaturally bigger" theme,
or
b) Need education in physics and physiology

From the FA Laws of the Game:>

"Not every touch of a player’s hand/arm with the ball is an offence.

It is an offence if a player:

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, for example moving the hand/arm towards the ball

• touches the ball with their hand/arm when it has made their body unnaturally bigger.
A player is considered to have made their body unnaturally bigger....
....when the position of their hand/arm is not a consequence of, or justifiable by, the player’s body movement for that specific situation.

By having their hand/arm in such a position, the player takes a risk of their hand/arm being hit by the ball and being penalised."

i.e. It is physically impossible to conduct most sports without moving arms for balance.

And if "balance" isn't the objective, then either
a) inertia keeps an arm in (an outstretched) position or
b) momentum keeps a moving arm moving.

And don't get me started on the Penalties given for:
a) Ball hitting the back of a defender's arm - i.e. totally unaware or
b) Attacker pushing up# a defender's arm which then is hit by the ball.
(# not deliberately)

Last edited:
Another thing about Charlie not noticed or talked about much. German Gills on Twitter showed some footage where Charlie Austin appears to round arm punch Dave Tutonda in the stomach as he ran by. Dave went down like the proverbial bag of, definitely not a fake dive. And Dom Jeffries really reacted angrily. Ref did nothing.

Anyone else see the footage? Definite red I reckon and it would have been a completely different 2nd half. Happened close to half time I believe.

Didn’t see this incident during the match. It also looked to me like Austin kicked Morris as he want to retrieve the ball after the goal - TBF to Morris, he made nothing of it, but other keepers would have been rolling around. On another day, he may have been in trouble for either or both incidents.

Agree that both penalties were harsh - the only penalty that should have been given was Hawkins being bundled over in the second half. Also, there was a definite shout for a last man professional foul on Nicholls. Nicholls managed to win a ball against their defender from a pump up field and got through and was tugged back by their defender, the last man - the ref pointed to another Swindon defender covering as Nicholls and co appealed, but the other defender was wide and not between the goal and Nicholls. Haven’t seen the incident again though.

Funnily, the Swine fans on their forum and social media seem to think the ref was against them. But overall, I think we had just as many bad decisions if not more.

Looks like a punch to me too.

It’s fairly common for players to put the ball right at the front edge of the spot (nearest the goal) as it gives them that fraction more of an advantage over the goalie.