Aston Villa vs Crystal Palace match thread | Vital Football

Aston Villa vs Crystal Palace match thread

They were spanked recently 7-0.
Are we now ready for the backlash, or are we playing a Palace devoid of confidence?

Does Ross come straight back in? Considering recent performances?
And the other question, does Jack go back on the left?
I would not play Barkley against Palace. He can't play against Chelsea and it would be better to make sure he is fully fit for Manure.
We have a squad who should be able to beat Palace and give them a good chance to bond further ready for Chelsea who are a very big challenge.
As such, it should be the same team that beat the Stripy filth.

If Ross is fit I would have him on the bench v Palace and try and get half an hour in to him.

We will be needing all the squad fit over Christmas and the New Year

But Barkley cant play in the following game at Chelsea, so maybe worthwhile starting him as he'll get a rest anyway

I know Palace got smashed at the weekend, but Roy normally has them well organised. I'm pretty sure he will put 7 or 8 players behind the ball making it difficult for us to break down. A clean sheet will probably be the first thing on his mind.
If he's fit I'd be putting Ross straight in myself and rest one of the wingers. Whoever gets dropped will probably come on for 20 minutes or so anyway and be back in the team for Chelsea on 28th

I'd stick with the same eleven. Having Barkley on the bench gives Smith an opportunity to make a really effective substitution if need be. Something vhe rarely has.

Hard to know how to approach this one with Chelsea only 48 hours later. Palace won't be push overs despite their 7-0 loss, it'll be a tougher game than the last two in my opinion.

With Barkley ineligible for the Chelsea game, I'd start him ahead of Grealish with the main man starting on the bench for this one. El Ghazi and Traore can start, but I'd sub off Traore for Grealish on the 55/60 minute mark and move El Ghazi across to the right as I think it would be good for Traore to get a bit of a breather too ahead of facing his old club.

Keep Konsa rested for Chelsea too, and rest Cash who will be up against Werner on Monday.

Martinez
Elmo Hause Mings Targett
McGinn Douglas (Nakamba 60)
Traore (Grealish 60) Barkley El Ghazi
Watkins (Davis 70)

Hard to know how to approach this one with Chelsea only 48 hours later. Palace won't be push overs despite their 7-0 loss, it'll be a tougher game than the last two in my opinion.

With Barkley ineligible for the Chelsea game, I'd start him ahead of Grealish with the main man starting on the bench for this one. El Ghazi and Traore can start, but I'd sub off Traore for Grealish on the 55/60 minute mark and move El Ghazi across to the right as I think it would be good for Traore to get a bit of a breather too ahead of facing his old club.

Keep Konsa rested for Chelsea too, and rest Cash who will be up against Werner on Monday.

Martinez
Elmo Hause Mings Targett
Watkins (Davis 70)

You try telling Jack he's starting on the bench!

The problem with bringing Barclay on from the bench is that with his injury they'll want him properly warmed up, which is difficult from the bench.

Martinez
Elmo Hause Mings Targett
Watkins (Davis 70)

Its virtually impossible to have all your subs planned out before the match. Apart from injuries which cant be predicted, they are really there to be used tactically depending on how the game is panning out.
It would also be a pretty big risk to go the last 20 minutes without any subs left to make. Unless you are losing most teams will hold one back until the last few minutes

I think our 7 against Liverpool and them conceding 7 against Liverpool will mean Woy has a healthy respect for us and will therefore do exactly what he does every game ie try not to concede and hit is on the break with Wilf and co. This is now becoming the norm at VP as teams are shite scared of Jack .

Another game like Burnley and Brighton, patience is the name of the game.
Barkley on the bench if fit and that is a tribute to the way we have played without him not a slight on Ross.

Martinez
Elmo Hause Mings Targett
Watkins (Davis 70)

Understand what and why you make the suggestions about line-up that you have but, I have two points.
One; concerns playing Elmo, it would mean putting him in direct opposition to Zaha, who would give him a torrid time with his pace, whereas Cash or Guilbert have the speed to at least match Zaha.
Two; why break up a side that has gelled pretty well by bringing in Barkley, who would only get one game as he is illegible to play against Chelsea? I know many dislike Hause but, we have three clean sheets with him in the team, he deserves to keep his place.

Palace were not as bad in the 0-7 defeat as the scoreline suggests. Plop had something like 8 shots at the time and had scored 7 from them.

We need to be as ruthless as we won't get 27 shots on goal like we did against Burnley.

Don't shoot me for suggesting this but looking at the future fixtures;

Crystal Palace 26th Dec Home
Chelsea 28th Dec Away
Man Utd 1st Jan Away

Would it make sense to push Barkley in the middle for Grealish, Rest Grealish for Chelsea as it's in two days later, Barkley cannot play against Chelsea anyway so put Grealish in, and then Barkley is rested for Man Utd and resting Grealish at Crystal Palace should be enough for him to fit enough and cause Man Utd problems.

Obviously stick him on the bench if we need him, but with Barkley in the team we should have enough against them, it's about trying to maximize our chances to get something against Chelsea and Man Utd.

Don't shoot me for suggesting this but looking at the future fixtures;

Crystal Palace 26th Dec Home
Chelsea 28th Dec Away
Man Utd 1st Jan Away

Would it make sense to push Barkley in the middle for Grealish, Rest Grealish for Chelsea as it's in two days later, Barkley cannot play against Chelsea anyway so put Grealish in, and then Barkley is rested for Man Utd and resting Grealish at Crystal Palace should be enough for him to fit enough and cause Man Utd problems.

Obviously stick him on the bench if we need him, but with Barkley in the team we should have enough against them, it's about trying to maximize our chances to get something against Chelsea and Man Utd.

Not a bad call.

Am I alone in thinking there is a chance we could go from the Chelsea game until the end of January pointless!!
Look at the fixtures......

I guess we really get our progress tested now.