Aston Villa v QPR Match Thread - 1st Jan 2019, 3pm | Vital Football

Aston Villa v QPR Match Thread - 1st Jan 2019, 3pm

JuanPabloAngel

Alert Team
No rest for the wicked and all that.

QPR in town on New Year's Day as 8th play 9th, with Rangers a point clear of our good selves. Defeat not an option, and a draw is not much more useful to us either, I would say.

Tommy Elphick possibly back in the side as the injuries pile up. Lovre Kalinic not available until the Swansea cup game, so this could be Ørjan Nyland's last game for a while.

QPR have recovered from a horror start and are "in and around" mid-table, much like ourselves.

What do we reckon?

QPR are a decent side under McLaren, I’m not a fan of the guy but he’s doing the business and getting results.

They will have only 30-40% possession judging from their recent games - especially away - so we have to be comfortable on the ball and use it to break down the opposition.

That’s not something we’ve been particularly good at over the years but under Smith it’s what we need to be good at.

Not very optimistic for this one and the team needs a shake up and some fresh legs badly.
Nyland
Bree Elphick Chester Hutton
Barny
Albert McGinn Hourihane Kodija
Tammy.
Last game for Nyland and a couple of replacements before the next league game hopefully.

Not very optimistic for this one and the team needs a shake up and some fresh legs badly.
Nyland
Bree Elphick Chester Hutton
Barny
Albert McGinn Hourihane Kodija
Tammy.
Last game for Nyland and a couple of replacements before the next league game hopefully.

Yes we surely can't field the same team again?! I like the look of that XI, OTV, I'd definitely go with that assuming no fresh injuries or no one unexpectedly fit to return.

I can’t see Deano keeping it the same for this one. Elphick will start I would think, and Barney and Albert will have improved their fitness. El Ghazi looks a frustrating one to me, looks a world beater for a couple of games then does next to nothing in the next 3

I'd rather see Hutton at RB and Chester at RCB at least then 2 of our back 4 are in the right and best positions. Hutton has been a bloody liability the last few games at left back. Chest always looks awkward on the left.

The Orange traffic cones last game before we get a new one.

Dean needs t use the fit players in his squad otherwise we'll drop more points. He can't really weaken it can he, with the exceptions of McGinn, Jack and Tammy the rest could be rotated if they were all fit and it would not make the slightest difference

This game should be billed as Enckleman's cousins testimonial/farewell match. A bit like his command of the penalty box I am hesitant at going to this game .
Will be a tough game against a well organised in form qpr side.

I reckon Smith has been using these same players to confirm to the owners that new players is a must as not all loan players work out for the club.
He has proved his point superbly now so it will be back to a must out score the oppersition squad with the bonus of a good centre half returning.
Smith's master plan is genius.
Another point, cant believe the doom and gloom when we are where we hoped to be when Smith took over, in touching distance of the playoffs with a transfer wdw 2 days away.

I've also seen Kalinic is eligible to play against QPR

And I've seen he's not.

Depends when the transfer window opens - if it is 1st Jan, there is no way he could be registered in time; even if it is 31st Dec, it would be touch and go, surely? I'm sure he is not available until the cup game on Saturday.

Bunn will be fine - not sure Steer would be too impressed at being recalled for one game only!

Bit odd to be training on a Sunday the day after a game.
I think this is a smoke screen for removing Nyland long term

Bit odd to be training on a Sunday the day after a game.
I think this is a smoke screen for removing Nyland long term

The way they played yesterday they should be training. Nyland is a good shot stopper, however the "flap" early on when they hit the bar was very poor. Im hoping our 6 foot 7 inch Keeper is a bit more commanding than that?