Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest Match Thread: Saturday 24th February, 3pm | Page 19 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Nottingham Forest Match Thread: Saturday 24th February, 3pm

It's not competitive criticism but I noticed that Bailey's touch was ropey yesterday. He played well and got a goal and an assist for it but he never really seemed to have the ball under control and constantly reacted to whatever happened from his touch. Definitely much more jazz than soul.
He never seems to have it under control and he is a flair player, the first goal he nutmegged two players to get it to Ollie, Brilliance or luck? Should have pulled it back to JJ but we scored so he did the right thing you could say.
Another day another game, people would want to kill him for not pulling it back, fine margins in games between brilliance and stupidity. Flashes of skill we all love to see and what we pay to see.

Fair play to him, he conceded early which is tough mentally - but after the goal, I thought he played really well.
How did he concede? It's a back 5 failure yet again with that offside trap.
Chambers did well including a couple of bursts forwards and a could of safety first av it clearances.
All thing considered its a good job he stayed despite not being wanted

Never say this before games but this was one of those rare games where beforehand I just couldn’t see us not winning.
Forest have been piss poor all season. We were never gonna lose 4 on the bounce at home under the genuis Unai.

And so it proved. Forest were probably the worst team I have seen this season at VP. So much so , and again I never ever do this but at 3 nil I text junior 1 to say that this was sooooo easy. Only ourselves got them back into it not them playing their way into the game . Brain fart set piece just before HT then we lose Pau. Had we not had one or the other then the goal just after the break doesn’t happen imho. Took us 10-15 just to settle and then it was a matter of being sensible and disciplined and striking when we could hence the Bailey goal. Good game management again for 3/4 of the second half.

Yes. Fair play to the lad. He could easily throw his toys out the pram and not give a fuck. When he came on he absolutely gave a fuck. Means he is a good guy imo.
Yeah. I think I put it in the Pau thread but I don’t think we will see Pau next week at Luton. I’m half full on this because we watched both Konsa and Booby walk off the pitch recently and not appearing to be as bad as they have turned out to be. I’m proper sceptical about the seriousness tbh.

There is no way Chambers is deaf to the feeling around him , it was tangible yesterday when the crowd realised he was coming on . Obviously not talking booing or anything like that but the undercurrent of general nervousness was obvious. And tbh he doesn’t need it spelling out to him because of where he is in the pecking order makes it clear.

But as you say good performance, professional and there was one point where he took the ball forward and Unai was giving him a right good round of applause and encouragement for doing so . There was also a really good header right under our bar that he was stretching for and cleared.

He just needs to do the simple stuff , defensive basics and let the others play. The likes of Duggie and SJM can get the ball off him and Lenglet and do the passing stuff.

Tbh, Luton away isn’t a bad game for him to play as it’ll be a bit more rough and ready which probably suits him better . But actually we must remember he was taken on by The Goons who we all know like a brand of passing football so he can’t be that bad at that side of things!.

Yes. Fair play to the lad. He could easily throw his toys out the pram and not give a fuck. When he came on he absolutely gave a fuck. Means he is a good guy imo.

I think if Pau had come on at Half time and played like chambers did - we'd all be jizzin ourselves!

Can he do it over a run of games though ?

At 3-2 I feared the worst especially with Chambers on and forest bringing on the beast. We so needed that 4th and that's the concern, needing a fourth to wrap the game in a match where honestly, forest were shit and we were 3 up without breaking sweat, I was thinking 5 or 6 at that point but but a last minute corner and a lapse of concentration changed the dynamic of the game, we knew Forest would come out fighting, and they did, that game could have ended 3-3 or 4-4. Silly crazy moments but we are now relying on yet again a knew pairing at the back, I thought Chambers did okay but he is no Pau, he has a tendency to hoof the ball up when under pressure which is not the Emery way but as I said, he did okay. Not so much Luton but if we have to go into the Spurs game with that defence we will be in trouble.

Was a good win yesterday, really felt like at one point they were gonna steamroll them like Brighton months ago. Found it hard to enjoy the game as strange as it sounds as I’m not all there mentally at the moment and I almost didn’t go. Going the Villa can really take your mind away from life for a few hours though and the win certainly picked my mood up a bit so I thank them for the good performance, entertaining game and most importantly the win.

Leon Bailey, Douglas Luiz and Ollie Watkins are real top players and getting that 4th spot and UCL next season should go a long way to keeping them at the club. Honorary mention to McGinn who’s a proper grafter every game.

Yeah. I think I put it in the Pau thread but I don’t think we will see Pau next week at Luton. I’m half full on this because we watched both Konsa and Booby walk off the pitch recently and not appearing to be as bad as they have turned out to be. I’m proper sceptical about the seriousness tbh.

There is no way Chambers is deaf to the feeling around him , it was tangible yesterday when the crowd realised he was coming on . Obviously not talking booing or anything like that but the undercurrent of general nervousness was obvious. And tbh he doesn’t need it spelling out to him because of where he is in the pecking order makes it clear.

But as you say good performance, professional and there was one point where he took the ball forward and Unai was giving him a right good round of applause and encouragement for doing so . There was also a really good header right under our bar that he was stretching for and cleared.

He just needs to do the simple stuff , defensive basics and let the others play. The likes of Duggie and SJM can get the ball off him and Lenglet and do the passing stuff.

Tbh, Luton away isn’t a bad game for him to play as it’ll be a bit more rough and ready which probably suits him better . But actually we must remember he was taken on by The Goons who we all know like a brand of passing football so he can’t be that bad at that side of things!.
Yes always a worry when a Player has to go off and it to be a CB that now leaves us with 4 and 6th choice as 1st and only choice doesn't need to be stressed enough.
Luton bombing is with corners and freekicks suddenly becomes a major problem

I hope another lesson was learned yesterday. Ease off the accelerator and you very quickly get overtaken. Those minutes before their first goal we dropped a few percentage points of concentration, the crowd went very quiet and then the goal. And it changed the whole atmosphere for the rest of the game. Before we knew it, 3-2 and from a game that looked and probably should have been a 5-0 it became a tense affair, actually a more normal feeling for us Villa fans! Scintillating football though, a joy to watch, all eleven playing well and a captain that encapsulated what we are all about.

Lovely Sunday morning up here in the North West, hopefully the suns shining on us all, which also mirrors my mood after another fantastic 3 pts takes us close to securing a champions league position.
UTV

How many times at 3-2 would we have seen mass panic and players running around aimlessly, but no , we stayed calm kept our shape and doing the right things and gradually regained control of the game. The 4th goal was important but for a spell before then and then all the way to the final whistle we were in control of the game.

More evidence of the calibre of coach Unai is imho.

I'm glad we watched the same ref mate, I don't normally abuse them that much but this bloke I did
He made some very odd (poor) decisions for sure, both for and against us.
I am concerned that the abuse and violence refs have to endure at lower level football is stopping quality people going into refereeing.
Fair play to Lenglet, started off on the right and defensively was solid. Even though his right foot is solely used for standing on. Then switching across to the left and having a decent 90 minutes.
McGinn outstanding 👏.