Aston Villa v Crystal Palace Match Thread - Sat 4 March - 3pm | Page 14 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Crystal Palace Match Thread - Sat 4 March - 3pm

Not sure how Watkins missed that chance Buendia brilliantly put on a plate for him. Shame as that would of equaled Andy Grays record of scoring in 6 consecutive games.

It was in reality a sitter. I've not seen any replays but from where I sit I had a great view of it. My impression was that he didn't have quite enough time to open his body to strike it to the keepers left so went for power to the right. Still should be scoring that but as we won and he's been in such good form I'll forgive him.

Must admit, someone talked to me on the way out... I am so very, very, cough, famous, saying decent points but that isn't the way I want to see 'my' team play.

So I don't think the Melon Donkey is twisting your Melons....

Fairly average game, very good result, is my belief. Or, maybe not average, but you can see it was two mid table teams. We'd have lost that sort of game, over the last 10 odd seasons.

I thought it was an absolute toss but we won. had we thrown it away in the last couple of minutes again there would be a total meltdown.
Obviously, a lot is dependent if you are there freezing your bits off after trying to find something to do pre-game for 3 hours or sitting at home watching a dodgy stream in a nice warm house.
It was utter dross but we won, so all is ok, but if that was what we had to watch every game, they would be able to forget about any expansion plans for the ground.

As a one-off, we can forget it and move on with 3 points which makes us safe in what would normally be February and we are now looking at overtaking Fulham Brentford Brighton who are punching well above their weight

It was in reality a sitter. I've not seen any replays but from where I sit I had a great view of it. My impression was that he didn't have quite enough time to open his body to strike it to the keepers left so went for power to the right. Still should be scoring that but as we won and he's been in such good form I'll forgive him.
He dragged it, which is something he does a lot. sometimes a little toe poke is all that is needed

We can, when we decide to up the tempo a bit, play some very nice football. The move for the goal was nice and the sequence leading to Ollies miss was really good. First half we played some good stuff but in patches. We couldn't put together a good spell of pressure.

All if us that have have/had season tickets have seen hundreds if not thousands of scrappy games like that over the years and in the last decade I'd probably guess that we have lost or drawn a majority of them. Really we never looked like conceding yesterday. It didn't feel like that in the ground as the tension gets to you with a 1 goal lead but virtually all the Palace fans I've seen are saying they never felt they were ever going to score.

The ref was a weak willed disgrace yesterday and pretty much caused Kamaras injury. Doucoure had 2 bad, bookable fouls on Emi2 that he decided to be lenient on. If he books him for either then the terrible challenge on Kamara might not have happened. Though seeing as he still clattered Chambers 2 minutes after his first yellow maybe I'm giving him too much credit.

There were a few moans round by us when Ollie was taken off due to him going for the goal record.

From my perspective he had his chance to keep his scoring streak up and blew it so couldn't really have any complaints.

Still not sure what to make of Duran Duran though. Hard to make an impact in cameos isn't it, but from what I've seen so far I'm not convinced he's better than Archer. Still young though so hopefully with good coaching he'll become a hell of a player. 🙏

An 8th place finish for us isn't exactly out of the question at this stage.

We have a decent run of games coming up and the chance to claw ourselves up a few places in the league. Hopefully, Emery can buck the trend of us focusing on our summer holidays from March onwards.

Yep said to my lad if this was at Palace we'd be happy, but at home it's not what we expect to see

In his interview afterwards Emery put a lot of emphasis on how much he wanted a second clean sheet in a row, which after shipping 11 goals in the 3 games before we beat Everton is understandable.

I would have liked to see us push on more but really Ollie and Mcginn should be scoring from the chances they had. If we'd come out winning 2/3 nil it puts a completely different spin on things, just as it would if we'd conceded and drawn late on. But neither happened and we have dull game but more importantly 3 points.

In his interview afterwards Emery put a lot of emphasis on how much he wanted a second clean sheet in a row, which after shipping 11 goals in the 3 games before we beat Everton is understandable.

I would have liked to see us push on more but really Ollie and Mcginn should be scoring from the chances they had. If we'd come out winning 2/3 nil it puts a completely different spin on things, just as it would if we'd conceded and drawn late on. But neither happened and we have dull game but more importantly 3 points.

Oh yes, you're right but I've seen 1-0 wins where we've been pummelled for 90 mins and scored a breakaway goal and 1-0 wins where we've had 20 shots on target.
This was something different to either, we controlled the game without doing anything with the ball, all very weird, and we had 3 good chances in the whole game .
Thankfully VAR saved us this time and that is how close we were all game to dropping points. I never ever feel comfortable at 1-0

Think after conceding 8 in our last two home games yesterday’s emphasis was very much on keeping it tight, keeping a clean sheet and scoring. Unai alluded to this in his pre match presser when he repeated ‘clean sheet’ several times. That’s what they’ve been focusing on all week and that’s exactly how it played out. There are different ways to win games and if we’re going to be successful, that’s exactly what we’re going to have to do on a regular basis. Yesterday wasn’t pretty but it was very effective, despite some more than decent players in forward positions, Palace hardly threatened. From us, we saw the odd glimpse of some lovely football. Job done. Emery is no mug, we really have got a top coach at last!

He was excellent but did nearly give me an aneurism first half when pissing about and getting robbed led to a dangerous Palace attack. If we can get some players of similar quality on the ball around him and Kamara we'll be cooking.

Every player had their aneurism moment yesterday. They do most weeks.

To be fair, we're the same number of points away from 5th as we are from the team directly below us in 12th.

Anything is possible. Can we dare to dream?

Two winnable games left in March, although West Ham away always fills me with dread. Our record there is horrendous.

You just know Ings will score as well.

Palace would probably have out-muscled us to win pre-Emery but with his unremitting demand for keeping the ball from defence we did control the majority of the game. The blueprint is there, 4 wins out of five away and now effective at home yesterday. I don’t know what the points per game tally is since Unai arrived but I bet it’s among the top returns in the league. We won ugly but we won.