Aston Villa v Arsenal Match Thread - Sat 6 Feb @ 12:30 - BT | Page 6 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Arsenal Match Thread - Sat 6 Feb @ 12:30 - BT

So has McGinn and defiantly Barkley I wouldhave dropped those two as well if your going drop DL

Yep, he's been the best of the 3 seems strange to leave him out, perhaps the "data" is telling them his performance levels are down.
SJM was all over the place against WH to the point where I thought he'd been pushed forwards.

Luiz hasn’t looked at it since our covid break, I’m surprised Barkley has kept his spot though

Could say the same of a few others though. Probably not surprising though. If you're one of the ones who had covid then that's likely taken a toll and even those who didn't would've been unable to train properly. Then you've a game every 3 days or so for several weeks running.

Luiz might have a knock, he might be tired, he hasn't been playing well regardless, he cannot play further forward. Barkley has indeed been shite but the only answer is to move Grealish inside and play El Ghazi, Sanson won't be fit enough to start.

Yep, he's been the best of the 3 seems strange to leave him out, perhaps the "data" is telling them his performance levels are down.
SJM was all over the place against WH to the point where I thought he'd been pushed forwards.

He was. Smith said after he regrets playing SJM further forwards.

He was. Smith said after he regrets playing SJM further forwards.
Wasn't my imagination he was sort of nowhere hence WH getting on top with just Luiz back. Now he's got the chop.
I like Marv and he should not have been dropped but likewise don't see the point of bringing him back in this game

Probably the team I would’ve started. I’m not a huge fan of Marv, but he did excellent when he was called upon for whichever game he came in (Newcastle?), this will be a different level of opposition for him and he has a big role.

The team needed a bit of change, Sanson would be premature for me just yet. Luiz hasn’t been playing well, I think he looks tired and doesn’t control the game like he was doing. The only thing with Marv is another left footed player who will turn to the left, and no doubt aim for jack.

6 with a defending mentality, 4 with an attacking.

Good luck to Marv, he’s only been getting scraps this season so he deserves a chance to shine in a big match, he’s not let us down when he has played this season so far. He’ll certainly provide some energy in the middle of the park. Maybe a bit harsh on Luiz as the other midfielders have been just as off it recently too

Fairly obvious that Sanson isn’t ready. So wise decision not to start him at the moment .

Marvellous we know can come in to the system immediately.

If anything, it shows Luiz he isn’t undroppable - not that I think he has that sort of mentality or arrogance. A game being dropped to see what someone else can do, might reignite him and re-energise him.

Sanson was going to start for Mar Say on the day he was due to sign for us, so my guess is he's fit enough for the mickey mouse league but not quite there for the PL but in saying that WTF is Barkley then he, looks like he's blowing out of his arse after 5mins

Sanson was going to start for Mar Say on the day he was due to sign for us, so my guess is he's fit enough for the mickey mouse league but not quite there for the PL but in saying that WTF is Barkley then he, looks like he's blowing out of his arse after 5mins

Not just about fitness. Its fitting into the system , style of play, different league. Arsenal currently doing the same with Odegaard.

I’m sure Dean will change something with the way Barkley and McGinn play as well otherwise we’ve had it. I want to see us play the ball forward out of defence not a few passes and then launching it anywhere. Perhaps Naka (as Dean has just referred to him 😂) will be more available than Doug to link defence to attack.

When Barkley was substituted the other evening he looked absolutely spent - and not all that well either. Do we know if he is one of the ones who got Covid?

Merse on sky sports news saying that Villa fans are great, but if it’s not going well after 20 minutes they can get to you.

I think he’s spot on, and one of the things we need to do in the stands when we get back - and this goes for me as much as anyone - is not get on the players back so quickly.

I think it’s part of the reason why we’ve had such a good start actually.