Aston Villa: Memory Lane | Page 126 | Vital Football

Aston Villa: Memory Lane

Yes, I remember that as well mate but my view was always from the Holte.

The ONLY time I ever moved was when we played Santos and the Pele factor came to Birmingham big time. I tried to get into the Holte but they closed the turnstiles just before I hoped to get in which I had never seen before!

I walked down to the Witton End and got in just before they apparently closed up as well!

I truly Love Aston Villa and I will take that to my grave.

My early years were on The Witton End, mostly because I found a way in through the old GPO yard at the back of the Witton, so I had a good view of the players tunnel.
For the Santos game I was up the back of the Holte, memorable not just for Pele, but because my younger brother fainted and St Johns Ambulance had to treat him after he had been passed over everybody's heads to the front.
That was a truly memorable night under the floodlights.

What a fantastic kit that was and look at that badge.....It would want to make you play until you drop for the club,,,,,, Well. it would be for me anyway.
View attachment 56676
I have said on here before, I played inside left, but when we played a pre season friendly against Ansells I was given the job of marking Jimmy at left back. He must have been late forties by then and still made me look a right mug.
I even tried to kick him and missed.
He put out a hand and laughed, said, better than you have tried son.
Good chinwag in the Ansells social afterwards.

An old chant....STUMPY STUMPY.....STUMPY.... STUMP...STUMP.....STUMP.........STUMPY etc!

Great player though and when he got the ball you knew something was going to happen.
Strange how your memory let's you down isn't it.
If you had asked me who stumpy was, I would have said Johnny McLeod, who we signed in '64.

What a fantastic kit that was and look at that badge.....It would want to make you play until you drop for the club,,,,,, Well. it would be for me anyway.
View attachment 56676
20th August 1962, Aston Villa 2 - 1 Totenham Hotspurs in front of 55,000 at Villa Park, watching Jimmy running his guts out down the wing and could hardly put one leg in front of the other at the final whistle, what a player

Yep. Agreed. Mine too. Devastated when he was sacked.
Apart from anything else, if my memory serves me right, he invented that fantastic Dwight Yorke chant, singing it in the Anfield dressing room before we played them in the FA Cup. BFR fancied himself as a crooner. Everybody copies everybody's chants now, but that was just ours. We need to sign a Mike Cork or someone soo, then we can sing it again!

Apart from anything else, if my memory serves me right, he invented that fantastic Dwight Yorke chant, singing it in the Anfield dressing room before we played them in the FA Cup. BFR fancied himself as a crooner. Everybody copies everybody's chants now, but that was just ours. We need to sign a Mike Cork or someone soo, then we can sing it again!
BFR did a fans forum that went out live on George Gavins show on BRMB a few days before the 93 final v Utd. I taped it and have it somewhere. It was absolutely brilliant, Ron was on fine form, I think he'd had a few pre show refreshments if that makes sense. What a manager, back from the day when it wasn't all so vanilla and PC.

Forgot about that one.
It was a brilliant chant, and had more than two lines.
Everyone was Frank Sinatra for a moment.

BFR was the antithesis of today's Gareth Southgate. What a personality, should of managed England, but like Cloughie the FA bigwigs would of shit their freshly pressed Farah trousers

Big Tone is still the best header of a ball I have ever seen.
Less said about his ability with the ball at his feet the better.
Ron Davies, Geoff Astle,Bob Latchford, and Alan Shearer were usually lethal in the air. Our mob? Hateley, Dougan and Peter Withe come to mind.

Very sad. Good player and a bit underrated being in the shadow of Sir Brian and Andy Gray.
Horrible news and close-to-home as his family lived close to us as kids. I had an uncle who developed the disease at age 53. It's an awful condition and a daily disheartening challenge for everyone.
He was a very decent player. I think he got two of the goals in the demolition of Liverpool in 77....