Villa 27.8% City 72.2%
Corners
Villa 1 City 11
Offsides
Villa 1 City 2
Fouls
Villa 12 City 7
Cards
Villa 2 Y=1 R City 1 R (Stones) 1 Y (Gundogan)
On Target
Villa 3 City 3
Woodwork
Villa 0 City 0
Off Target
Villa 5 City 10 (PL site has 8 Villa shots, City 13 - City OS Villa 3 shots City 7 off target)

Attendance Behind closed doors

Compiled from Premier League and City Official Site match day threads

Links

https://www.premierleague.com/match/59207

https://matchday.mancity.com/fixtures/first-team/2020/aston-villa-v-manchester-city

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

Aston Villa have lost 12 of the past 14 Premier League meetings, with their only victory during this period coming in September 2013.
Manchester City have won their five recent league games against Villa by an aggregate score of 17-2.
Manchester City

City win a 10th successive Premier League away victory. It would make them the first team to achieve the feat more than once, having won 11 in a row between May-December 2017.
City now a club record run of 16 consecutive away victories in all competitions and are unbeaten in 19 on the road.

*Manchester City require 8 points from their final five matches to guarantee a fifth Premier League title.
City have won 15 successive Premier League fixtures on Wednesdays, the best run on a specific day other than Saturday in the competition's history.

22:17
'Football wins'
FT: Aston Villa 1-2 Man City

Fernandinho is speaking to Sky Sports and says the last few days has been "crazy". He says the players were surprised with the announcement about the club's intentions to join the European Super League. He adds: "We're happy now because football wins."

Full reaction from both camps coming up.

22:19
'City a joy to watch'

Michael Brown
Former Manchester City midfielder on BBC Radio 5 Live

Man City didn't start well, they had a bit of a scare but you talk about reaction and the quality of the side. It was a strong side from Pep Guardiola, some of the play we've watched today was a joy to watch. The movement, the goals, a bit of everything, individual performances. We saw the red card and City recovered very well and had the confidence to see it through until the end.

You could see the reaction from the players and the staff that's one step closer to the Premier League title.

22:19
'City a joy to watch'

Michael Brown
Former Manchester City midfielder on BBC Radio 5 Live

Man City didn't start well, they had a bit of a scare but you talk about reaction and the quality of the side. It was a strong side from Pep Guardiola, some of the play we've watched today was a joy to watch. The movement, the goals, a bit of everything, individual performances. We saw the red card and City recovered very well and had the confidence to see it through until the end.

You could see the reaction from the players and the staff that's one step closer to the Premier League title.
Save Cancelo, that has been our best 11 this season.

22:23

City also won a Premier League game having conceded the first goal for the first time since December 2019 versus Leicester (3-1), ending a run of 10 games without a win when conceding first (D3 L7).

MuEN
player ratings
Ederson 7, Walker 7, Stones* 3, Dias 7, Zinchenko 5, Gundogan(C) 8, Rodri 7, Bernardo 8, Mahrez***8, Foden 9, Jesus** 7.

* sent off **Laporte ***7 Fernandinho not marked.

22:27
'We are so close to title'

Manchester City captain Fernandinho speaking to Sky Sports: "They started well and scored in the first minute but after that we recovered possession and controlled the game and turned it around in the first half and the second half was tough, we were one man down. But at the end it was a good game and we’re happy for another victory."

On Phil Foden: "I've known him about five years, since he was a little boy and he’s showed his quality, no doubt about that. He’s matured and taking the actions better, chooses better actions, scored today and he’s been awesome so pleased and happy for him because he’s a nice boy and deserves the best."

On John Stones: "Feel sorry for him, to miss the cup final, this was a tough game fighting for the title, not easy for any player but we're behind him, supporting him. He’s showed his quality and positive energy. He’s helped us in different situations this season, scoring goals, defending well, keeping the ball, you can name so many ways he’s helped us this season. We will miss him on Sunday but I am pleased for him overall because he’s been one of the best players so far for us this season.

"Conceding an early goal and having to carry on after the Chelsea game [FA Cup] – we have five games left to play but with the character of our players we are sure we can do it. But football is on the pitch and we have to show that every week. I'm pleased for the team, the players and everyone at the club because we have fought a lot to reach this point, in every training session and we are so close, we just need to focus and concentrate. Five games left and we’ll see what happens."

22:30
'Foden becoming a serious player'

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to Sky Sports: "We played so good. After 10 against 11 and after Cash was sent off, it was a really good performance. The Premier League is the most important title to win.

"We controlled the game when it was 10 against 10. It was late [John Stones' challenge] but the intention was no. Now because we have won I am happy. If we had lost I'd be unhappy.

"We did a good game. This guy [Phil Foden] is growing. His influence in our games is massive. He's becoming a serious player. Phil right now is becoming such an important player. His influence in the final third is so important."

Sky
Player ratings

Man City: Ederson (6), Walker (6), Stones (4), Dias (6), Zinchenko (6), Rodri (7), Bernardo (8), Gundogan (7), Mahrez (7), Jesus (6), Foden (8)

Subs: Laporte (6), Fernandinho (NA)

Man of the match: Phil Foden

22:30
'Foden becoming a serious player'

Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, speaking to Sky Sports: "We played so good. After 10 against 11 and after Cash was sent off, it was a really good performance. The Premier League is the most important title to win.

"We controlled the game when it was 10 against 10. It was late [John Stones' challenge] but the intention was no. Now because we have won I am happy. If we had lost I'd be unhappy.

"We did a good game. This guy [Phil Foden] is growing. His influence in our games is massive. He's becoming a serious player. Phil right now is becoming such an important player. His influence in the final third is so important."
He's already here, and he''ll only get better. The refs better start punishing the players who get frustrated by him.

22:33
'Nightmare playing against City'

Aston Villa midfielder John McGinn, speaking to Sky Sports: "It was just my feeling on the pitch but that was the best 90 minutes I have seen [from an opposition team]. It was a nightmare to be perfectly honest."

22:39
'The right thing to do in the end'

More from Man City captain Fernandinho, discussing the European Super League with Sky Sports: "It’s been crazy since Saturday after the Chelsea defeat in the FA Cup – guys were a bit down and then on Monday the Super League comes out and we were surprised. We didn’t expect it but eventually they had good sense and it was the right thing to do. Everyone who loves football didn’t support the Super League including our players so we’re happy now that it’s turned around, but it was a surprise.

"It’s a tough situation, we wanted to find out from the people at the top of the club to see the reasons why they are there with the other clubs. We wanted to come out and say we are against it but we had to have a chat among the players and we all agreed to wait for the club statement, we are happy in the end because football wins."

22:42
'Won't have a better chance to beat City than that'

Aston Villa boss Dean Smith speaking to Sky Sports: "Great start - we played a ball in behind with a kick free kick which we had spoken about and then had to defend very because they had 25 minutes of wonderful football.

"The disappointing part for me is the manner of the goals, we know Ederson has a good strike on him and they pick up the second ball there and if you lose against Man City you want them to be working wonderfully executed goals, you don't want to concede those kind of goals. Matty Cash's first yellow was harsh but second one was just stupid and reckless, with them having ten men you won’t get a better chance to beat City."

On red cards: "The first one was a pull, we don't seem to see many of them given, their red card [John Stones] was probably a yellow as well though. I think you can slow anything down and it looks worse - it was right in front of me and he’s gone for the ball and caught the man, you see that all the time.

"Our plan was to get it out to the front two and get behind but we never got behind them enough, we got a few crosses in early on but once we had the man sent off the half time plan goes out the window. It was a bit more even at ten v ten but they have better technically gifted players than we have on the ball.

22:46
'City schooled us'

Aston Villa boss Dean Smith, speaking to BBC MOTD: "We made a great start. It was something we had spoken about. We have one of the best players in the league who can run in behind the oppositions defence in the shape of Ollie Watkins.

"We defended reasonably well. It was probably the manner of the goals we conceded that was most disappointing

"Cashy will learn from that. The second one was stupid and reckless.

"Some of Manchester City's play play was outstanding. They schooled us at times.

"I've been involved in professional football for 34 years and I haven't seen football come together like it has this week. That shows you how outraged people were at the plans."