Ashamed of us | Vital Football

Ashamed of us

100% plus effort no problem........
minus 100% effort problem ..........

Chris will be on the case i’m sure.
If I could SBT i’d drive to you buy yer a pint talk bollox and try and cheer yer up !

never ashamed but fuckin hate em for an hour or two after we play that ,which hsnt been to often.lol Lets see what our BOUNCEBACKABILITY, is like after covid

It's as bad as I've felt about a game for a long while. Can't get the image of Enda completely missing the ball out of my head. Even a slight touch would have diverted it out of the way Fine margins etc etc etc don't make up for just how depressing that was.

Expectations too high possibly but the reality of yesterday was like a hammer blow. I blame CW-:cool::LOL: he's given us all such hope that a bad defeat seems ,ATM, like the end of the (football) world as we know it!!

What completely baffles me is all the hype in the press was about how uber fit we were in readiness for the restart.
I've watched most of the games so far and we look way behind EVERY other side on that score as well as showing virtually no initiative.
The next game is huge. Another drubbing and the end of the season can't come soon enough.

Wilder nailed it post yesterdays debacle when he said 6 months plus work destroyed and thrown away in 180 mins.

What completely baffles me is all the hype in the press was about how uber fit we were in readiness for the restart.
I've watched most of the games so far and we look way behind EVERY other side on that score as well as showing virtually no initiative.
The next game is huge. Another drubbing and the end of the season can't come soon enough.

Wilder nailed it post yesterdays debacle when he said 6 months plus work destroyed and thrown away in 180 mins.
On the bright side, if there is one, we fell away in the 1st season back in the Champ and the next season saw us achieve a dream!!!

Got to agree about the fitness ( CW says the stats are good) but it's the lethargy, the lack of intensity that's worrying.
I reckon we are missing the crowds more than anyone ( Stuart Pierce also said he thought we would before the restart) For me this team thrives on being the underdog, upsetting the odds, quitening the away crowd, being bloody minded, in your face and proving everybody wrong.They feed off the home crowd and revel in the atmosphere- it spurs them on.

Pretty difficult to do now but we have to adapt soon, get manure over, reset and go again even though it might be a disappointing end to the season.

But let's temper that thought- a disappointing end- with what will happen, we'll be 9 or more points above relegation with that spectre not having crossed our mind all season.

Something else Wilder said, and he is bang right. Until the enforced break every player played at the absolute top of their game which meant as a team we could compete with anyone. It is clear when a number of players are short of that level the outcome is what we saw at Newcastle and to a lesser extent at Villa. We do not have the luxury of depth in quality to make a bit of a loss of form not a catastrophe.

Mentioned in another thread that at 0-0 we looked OK at that time but now I'll add that we played worse at Villa for a 0-0 there at the same minutes played to the sending off.

Last edited:
Something else Wilder said, and he is bang right. Until the enforced break every player played at the absolute top of their game which meant as a team we could compete with anyone. It is clear when a number of players are short of that level the outcome is what we saw at Newcastle and to a lesser extent at Villa. We do not have the luxury of depth in quality to make a bit of a loss of form not a catastrophe.
Daft as it sounds if Billy had put that one away I think that would have galvanised the side and we would have got a point, as bad as we were.
We had 3 points snatched from us at Villa- we;d have closed them out for a 1-0 win and we suffered a ridiculous yellow for Egan.

Sure it does not mask the underlying squad weakness, and I'm sure CW's well aware of that, but a bit of luck, a spark agoinst the odds, like Billy scoring, and we would be not having these thoughts.

We'd be looking at how to build on a magnificent season not worrying about the paucity of the squad- which will be tackled anyway.

All fair points TT, however....what do we do with Berge, Ollie and Robbo. Thats about £50m. How as you put it would you tackle that?

All fair points TT, however....what do we do with Berge, Ollie and Robbo. Thats about £50m. How as you put it would you tackle that?
Berge's the biggest conundrum there. Does CW trust him to play in his normal position? If not there's a problem.
If we somehow got a result at OT then we are not out of the running for Europe daft as it seems.It would be wonderful but counter productive.
In the 8 games left CW has the opportunity to try out players in their proper positions but , if we have a sniff, then that apportunity goes.

Robbo- one for the future? Is that why he bought him? Will his exposure at WBA allow us to get a few bob back for him?

Ollie- not sure of contract position but drops into a squad player until end of contractor a sale back to the Champ and Berge steps up??

Hard for me to say but I'd rather see a bit of experimentation than a Europa league slog because, attractive s SUFC in Europe sounds, the reality is that PL consolidation and progress is the real priority. we can wait for Europe- not too long mind!

I desperately want us to qualify for Europe. In life you take opportunities if they are there. They may never come again. I'd also love us to contest a cup final, but after yesterday I don't even see where the next goal is coming from.

On the bright side, if there is one, we fell away in the 1st season back in the Champ and the next season saw us achieve a dream!!!

Got to agree about the fitness ( CW says the stats are good) but it's the lethargy, the lack of intensity that's worrying.
I reckon we are missing the crowds more than anyone ( Stuart Pierce also said he thought we would before the restart) For me this team thrives on being the underdog, upsetting the odds, quitening the away crowd, being bloody minded, in your face and proving everybody wrong.They feed off the home crowd and revel in the atmosphere- it spurs them on.

Pretty difficult to do now but we have to adapt soon, get manure over, reset and go again even though it might be a disappointing end to the season.

But let's temper that thought- a disappointing end- with what will happen, we'll be 9 or more points above relegation with that spectre not having crossed our mind all season.

Every team can say the lack of crowd hasn't helped them, but we haven't played a home game yet.

The empty stadiums should affect the home team more than the away team.

I cant see how a full stadium at Villa or Newcastle would have helped us.

We'll get nothing at Old Trafford and I'm so confident of that I'll not bother watching it. It'll be a waste of time watching us create absolutely nothing and just trying to dig in and hold them at bay, which we won't do without our usual goalie and three quarters of the defence missing.

Watching us do absolutely nothing creative to contribute to the game will only put me in a bad mood, so I won't bother.

Every team can say the lack of crowd hasn't helped them, but we haven't played a home game yet.

The empty stadiums should affect the home team more than the away team.

I cant see how a full stadium at Villa or Newcastle would have helped us.

We'll get nothing at Old Trafford and I'm so confident of that I'll not bother watching it. It'll be a waste of time watching us create absolutely nothing and just trying to dig in and hold them at bay, which we won't do without our usual goalie and three quarters of the defence missing.

Watching us do absolutely nothing creative to contribute to the game will only put me in a bad mood, so I won't bother.
Your choice MoM not to watch but when playing away you can affect the crowd, you can keep them quiet, you can defy the odds and, for me, that's a big part of our mental make up.

It's what motivates some players, some managers even,beating the odds with sheer bloody mindedness, and, if there's no one there to rile, then you can't upset them, you can't feed off their hostility spurring you on to show them you can play.

We've always been a team of underdogs and , in the past few seasons, CW, as a fan, player and now manager, knows that and part of the magnificent spirit he has built has been to use that to our advantage.Obviously you've got to be able to play a bit but, until you get the players, the system, the formation right it's spirit that can get you through. Think of the crates of beer on the way back from Millwall and what's happened since.

TBH it's what motivates a lot of our fans- being able to stick 2 fingers up at all those who told us we'd be relegated by Christmas. That goes for the players and CW too.

Look at how much Deano enjoyed giving it back to the Leeds scum after they'd given him stick all match, look at how CW enjoys going to the away end when we've done well - that's not just to thank them, he knows it gets under the home fans' skin