As things stand | Page 2 | Vital Football

As things stand

I do think MA's second season has skewed the thinking slightly on the expectation of style and quality of play. I'm not necessarily saying people expect that standard (which is probably impossible anyway bearing in mind that side contained Grant, Rogers, Johnson, Bridcutt) but were MA's 1st and 3rd seasons overall really *that* much better than what we're seeing now? I dunno.

We've got plenty of things better this season than last.
In MApps first season there were a few horror shows with Bolger and Shackell ‘playing out’ badly from the back. Sunderland away was a prime example. A few really poor weak performances with a weak midfield of Pett and Chapman (Coventry away) for example, There was however the 5-3 Ipswich game, 2-1 Posh game, 5-1 Bolton game all really good exciting attacking games. All this with squad inherited from DC and being asked to play a to different tactics. Yep MApps teams could have bad days, he was stubborn but during his tenure we saw some of the best football we have ever seen at Sincil Bank and some brilliant dominating away performances too including some in his first half season. Comparing MApp to MK in coaching and football entertainment is like comparing a Rolls Royce to an Austin Allegro. The Allegro maybe does the same job but always leaves you uninspired and bored.

Comparing MApp to MK in coaching and football entertainment is like comparing a Rolls Royce to an Austin Allegro. The Allegro maybe does the same job but always leaves you uninspired and bored.

Thing is john that Rolls Royce engine simply purred and really should of gone on to be a champion that year, whereas the Austin Allegro is presently undergoing running repairs but the driver has got it permanently stuck in reverse at the minute.

Definitely needs some new parts for it to give it a new lease of life.

Thing is john that Rolls Royce engine simply purred and really should of gone on to be a champion that year, whereas the Austin Allegro is presently undergoing running repairs but the driver has got it permanently stuck in reverse at the minute.

You must admit it's a neat trick though.
Facing your car the wrong way at the bottom of the hill and reversing up it.
Already passed a old Oxford.

Last edited:
The Cowleys built strong functional teams that were balanced in defence, midfield and attack, with every member of that team knowing exactly what their job was.

We had full backs that could attack and defend, a strong central defence and midfield, wingers that could take people on and get crosses in and above all someone who was a focal point of attack and someone who could get on the end of opportunities that were created.

Yes we may not have been the prettiest but we knew how to win football matches and we did play some decent football amongst all that.

There were never games when we didn't create a hatful of chances in the National League or League 2 and I can never remember watching a home or away game when I was discussing the previous nights episode of Emerdale because there was very little happening on the pitch.

I don't think there is anyone on here who won't be pleased with a top half finish but that is not the issue. The issue is that we have got 6000 odd season ticket holders that need to be persuaded to part with the best part of £400 to watch a team that currently hardly wins a game, hardly scores a goal and hardly creates any clear cut or exciting moments around the oppositions 18 yard box when playing at home.

Now I accept ,as most of us do that the coach and recruitment team is acutely aware of this situation and hopefully will be addressed before next August or at least some of the building blocks will be in place if we can't afford to do it in one go.

There is a lot more pressure on the recruitment team and coach next season and they really can't afford any mistakes in the transfer market because 1, their jobs will be on the line and 2, the club will start losing fans in droves if next season is anything like this one in terms of home performances even though to date we remain unbeaten.

I think at the minute there will be a lot of fans who will cut the coach some slack because they understand he's inexperienced, it's his first senior coaching job and he is having to learn quickly and he looks to have the right qualities that will make him a decent coach but as many on here point out its all about results and results and performances in the main, over the period of a season go hand in hand so next season home results which will mirror performances will have to improve greatly if we want to maintain the current level of support.

So let me get this straight...

We were playing positive football against North Ferriby, Carlisle, Mansfield et al

And we should just.. expect that to continue against the likes of Sheff Weds, Derby, etc?

What was that some people were saying about entitled fans of other clubs?

So let me get this straight...

We were playing positive football against North Ferriby, Carlisle, Mansfield et al

And we should just.. expect that to continue against the likes of Sheff Weds, Derby, etc?

What was that some people were saying about entitled fans of other clubs?
I don't think expecting a "positive" approach shows entitlement in any sense. Expecting us to roll over the likes of Derby and Wednesday on a weekly basis may well do. Although, for me, that would be an indication of delusion!
It's not unreasonable to hope that we might be a bit more adventurous against the sides around us in the table, and try to put a beating on a few. Maybe the flip side is that some supporters just think that we have no place being in L1 and should treat each of the other 23 sides as our superiors, cowering and gratefully accepting not being hammered by Accrington and FGR? There's definitely a balance to be had, we currently sit firmly to the negative side of it, I really hope it is redressed over the summer. I expect plenty more do so too.

The analogy could be applied to some of our ‘supporters’.

You must admit it's a neat trick though.
Facing your car the wrong way at the bottom of the hill and reversing up it.
Already passed a old Oxford.

Well I'd agree that if you can overtake a few while your in reverse your hopefully going to spin round and overtake a few more when your going the right way.

Last edited:
IComparing MApp to MK in coaching and football entertainment is like comparing a Rolls Royce to an Austin Allegro. The Allegro maybe does the same job but always leaves you uninspired and bored.

I used to drive an Allegro but have never driven a Rolls Royce, so you may be right. At the end of the day it comes down to what you can afford!

I used to drive an Allegro but have never driven a Rolls Royce, so you may be right. At the end of the day it comes down to what you can afford!

Yeah but what you need is one of them special mechanics who can tune the Allegro up to perform like a Rolls Royce.