Arsenal v Newcastle Utd | Page 2 | Vital Football

Arsenal v Newcastle Utd

Predictable and fully expected in a season where I said that finishing out of the European places isn't as bad as it seems.

Our midfield has been decimated by injuries/suspensions most of the season and tonight happens when the opposition play better with better players. This was where the game was won with pace and faster passing.

As much as Lewis Miley has had a breakthrough season, he was all over the place for me and looked like a rabbit in headlights. Sean Longstaff was similar in that he huffed and puffed but wouldn't get picked by any other side in the top 7 unless for injuries.

Willock, when he came on, showed flashes of how our midfield works and you only wonder as to how a midfield of Willock, Bruno, Tonali and Joelinton would have fared tonight.

The cup and potential Europa league qualification are all that is left to play for on paper but as Ive said for ages, these last few games could well shape up next season's assault where I expect us to challenge top 4 again.

We will finish mid table and we will be out of the cup if not this round then next.
Will not finish top 4 next season under this Manager, who is out of his depth at this top level.idfield over run, no strikers and defence not good enough.
Other sides will strengthen and we may have problems attracting top top players without European qualification.
May take awhile to consolidate a top 6 position.

Top 4 next season you're having a laugh. I don't think we would have challenged this season even without the extra matches if you look at the strength of the sides above us. It's getting more and more difficult to break into the top 6. Man utd having a shocking season and they're still well ahead of us. This summer window is gonna be a big one. Too many players not good enough the likes of longstaff probably decent squad player but shouldn't be starting. Serious investment needed in every position.

We're actually going to go this whole season off the back of how well we did last season. I hope Ashworth was in charge of the transfers and has taken his shitty plan with him. Unfortunately I suspect Eddie is behind it and that is a big part of why Ashworth has gone. Tonali apart, we needed at least a keeper, a striker, central defender, left back (on top of what we got) and at least one other midfielder. Now we're in the position where we need even more. Where is the turnover of those that are passed their best? We've missed a huge opportunity this season in my opinion. Essentially I'm agreeing with RZA the squad and Owl with the fact that I think Eddie has taken it as far as he can and is out of his depth. I hope we're wrong

I like Howe as a manager and I would love him to do well here but he needs to be a lot more open minded in regards to tactics personnel and formation. Unfortunately as time goes on it looks less likely that he's willing to implement new ideas and methods. All elite managers do this and his blind loyalty to certain players might not be favouritism but it certainly could be interpreted as such, especially by the players who are not being given a chance. I said at the start of the season top 10 was the realistic target and it looks like we might just scrape it. Howe deserves next season but if we are not there or thereabouts by Christmas I think he'll get sacked.

Apparently Lewis Hall walked down the tunnel on his own last night when our players went to applaud the fans

Why not bring Hall on and give him game time. The match was lost anyway.
Too many players over hyped, Guimares, Botman, Longstaffe, Almiron, Isak, Trippier. All have played well in patches but no consistency and top class (the jury is out).
I think some will be looking to get away, without Europe.
The spine of the team has gone, keeper, central defender, midfield strength and no centre forward.
Howe decent Manager but we are not Bournemouth

Maybe I should feel ashamed, but this was the first match I stopped watching. Missed our goal due to that though. Isn't this the kind of match you would love them to go for it? If I had the feeling they tried I would've kept watching even with this result.