Around the Grounds | Page 59 | Vital Football

Around the Grounds

I thought I'd look up who is paying for it. Seems like there's a magic money tree involved. Possibly could cost up to £150 million. These major construction costs never go over budget of course, so who knows?

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/24171260.oxford-united-stadium-triangle-cost-150m/

This quote from the article would worry me.

"Then we create what we call a funding stack, and it will all eventually add up to whatever the budget turns out to be.

“In terms of the legal structure that it sits in, again it’s a process. We need to come up with what that funding stack looks like, and depending on that, there may be requirements of shareholders and lenders, as to what that legal structure looks like.

“Whether the stadium is in one company and the club operations are in another company, it may be a subsidiary company, it may be a sister company. That will depend on a bunch of bankers and lawyers figuring out what is the most optimum structure."

On the funding of the proposed stadium, he said: “Funders do not lend unsustainable debt. We would not get debt to cover the entire cost of the stadium because that would be deemed absolutely unsustainable.

“What that percentage is, I can’t tell you, but what I can say is that under no circumstances is there a situation where the club would be borrowing unsustainably because lenders simply do not allow"

Last edited:
I thought I'd look up who is paying for it. Seems like there's a magic money tree involved. Possibly could cost up to £150 million. These major construction costs never go over budget of course, so who knows?

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/24171260.oxford-united-stadium-triangle-cost-150m/

This quote from the article would worry me.

"Then we create what we call a funding stack, and it will all eventually add up to whatever the budget turns out to be.

“In terms of the legal structure that it sits in, again it’s a process. We need to come up with what that funding stack looks like, and depending on that, there may be requirements of shareholders and lenders, as to what that legal structure looks like.

“Whether the stadium is in one company and the club operations are in another company, it may be a subsidiary company, it may be a sister company. That will depend on a bunch of bankers and lawyers figuring out what is the most optimum structure."
Sounds to me like its, yes we will go ahead with it and work out how to pay for it as we go along. Could be a dangerous process that could easily go pear shaped.

Oxford annouce agreement with council to lease land at the Triangle- Kidlington to build new stadium.

16000 capacity, 180 bedroom hotel, restaurant, conference centre and a well being space?

Set to be the most sustainable mid size sports venue in the country, whatever that means and are planning to move in by 2026.
Doesn't say anywhere, but this is all subejct to planning consent?

They'll be lucky to get planning permission by 2026 on a development of this sort of scale.

Development funders also remain spooked by the wider investment conditions, an enduring legacy of the shortest ever prime ministerial term. The "we'll make it up as we go along" approach the chairman seems to outline may not wash.

Oxford annouce agreement with council to lease land at the Triangle- Kidlington to build new stadium.

16000 capacity, 180 bedroom hotel, restaurant, conference centre and a well being space?

Set to be the most sustainable mid size sports venue in the country, whatever that means and are planning to move in by 2026.
It's even got 4 sides!

They'll be lucky to get planning permission by 2026 on a development of this sort of scale.

Development funders also remain spooked by the wider investment conditions, an enduring legacy of the shortest ever prime ministerial term. The "we'll make it up as we go along" approach the chairman seems to outline may not wash.

I agree, I doubt they'll have had one spade in the ground by 2026....or even 2036

They already have principal consent to lease the site and Cherwell DC knew what that meant when they granted it, and while planning consent won't necessarily be straightforward it ticks an awful lot of the boxes Cherwell DC are looking for in using that site...

If they build what they can afford it will be two cargo containers for changing rooms and a rope around two sides of the pitch.

On a serious note if they proceed with this ludicrous idea they will go bust.....and it will be everyone else's fault.

If they build what they can afford it will be two cargo containers for changing rooms and a rope around two sides of the pitch.

On a serious note if they proceed with this ludicrous idea they will go bust.....and it will be everyone else's fault.
They say they wont go bust because 'they wont be borrowing unsustainably as no lender would allow them to do that'. Mmmm. not sure about that one!

They say they wont go bust because 'they wont be borrowing unsustainably as no lender would allow them to do that'. Mmmm. not sure about that one!

The bit of the statement quoted in the OP does sound like the work of a group of kids for a Primary school project, doesn't it?

I particularly enjoyed "Then we create what we call a funding stack, and it will all eventually add up to whatever the budget turns out to be"

Well, with that sort of rigorous approach to the 'funding stack' and the budget what can possibly go wrong?!?

The bit of the statement quoted in the OP does sound like the work of a group of kids for a Primary school project, doesn't it?

I particularly enjoyed "Then we create what we call a funding stack, and it will all eventually add up to whatever the budget turns out to be"

Well, with that sort of rigorous approach to the 'funding stack' and the budget what can possibly go wrong?!?
As advised by Liz Truss!?

Miss Cheese 2023!

They just announced Dianne Abbott as Director of Finance.