Are you thinking what I am thinking? | Vital Football

Are you thinking what I am thinking?

Rexn

Vital Champions League
There are lots of ways of looking at Mike Ashley. You could look at perspectives and make your own portrait jigsaw. I am conscious if the pieces are put in the wrong places, and arse and elbow might appear together.

We know he is a chancer and likes a gamble. We also know from his retail empire that he likes cost cutting. The "tanks on the lawn" thing shows that he likes to win in his own way, which many of us find obnoxious.

There is another piece of the jigsaw that some haven't seen, unsurprisingly. Parliamentary select committees are not always the best of viewing. One of the many things that struck me in watching his was that his one great love is retail. Suggestions that he bugged a meeting of one of those committees demonstrates what many of us believe about his ethics. We cam also see his track record of buying at low prices and selling high.

OK, personally, he has shown Rafa who is boss. Having publicly promised "every last penny" it is clear that Ashley's word means little. He has one over on one of the best managers in world football, at least in track record.

There is probably more than a bit of truth in his expectations if he were to sell the club, a price tag of around £400m.

There are some opportunities, the latest being House of Fraser. If anyone cares to watch the select committee, you will see some traits exhibited in discussions about BHS. There was a passion for retail and wanting to get hold of the chain of stores. You might also detect a frustration at missing out.

Back to NUFC. There is no way that he will get £400m unless he finds some sort of narcissistic multi-billionaire in need of a vanity project. From a commercial point of view, the squad needs investment as does some of the club infrastructure. From a potential investor's point of view, maybe something around the £350-360m mark is realistic at a push, which has been discussed in other threads.

Whilst in the Premier League is a prime time to sell, not least when a world class manager is at the helm. Let's face it, after this transfer window, it is hard to envisage another manager of the same calibre next time around.

Given the surplus so far in this window, it seems reasonable that Ashley might take the opportunity to use extract some of his "loans" to NUFC. Also remember that there is an asset in future instalments attributable to NUFC from the likes of Sissoko, Wijnaldum and possibly Mitrovic.

Unless TV revenues escalate even more, and there is reason to believe that the market is flattening out, there will never be a better time to sell the club. basically, he has until the end of October to agree a price and allow a new investor to use the January window to avoid relegation and start building foundations for the future. Ashley got lucky with Rafa and is unlikely to get as lucky again if the club are relegated.

From Rafa's side, he is something of a strategist. He is reported, during the summer, as suggesting that he could be here for 10 years. Was that message aimed at Ashley or at potential investors?

Give it until the end of the window and the journalistic hacks will start picking up on it, even if they don't as a result of reading this board. The cash that Ashley may be able to take out of the club to finance other retail ventures might mean that he can accept the £350-360m valuation. Maybe, just maybe, there is a Staveley or other business person with a relatively modest amount of cash to develop the club as a going concern with potential.

OK, it's early days and elbows and arseholes might be indistinguishable in a bad light but don't be surprised if the man who has led the club to 2 relegations during his tenure suddenly sees opportunities elsewhere. With enough adverse publicity from the Geordie fan base, we could see a happy coincidence that leads to Ashley finally getting out, more or less on his terms.

For those who can stomach Ashley, his hearing is here, you also get Keith Bishop:
https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/a870989f-3119-4e2a-9ea7-e6ab094e77d1?in=11:36:21&out=13:09:33

Last edited:
Ive thought the time was ripe to sell on so many occasions that ive resigned myself to thinking that Ashley's here till he dies.

This is not taking into context that there's been a number of bids over the years with deals agreed in principle before an overnight change of price by Ashley has scuppered things. The Mikhail Prokhorov one for example.

Ashley is up to something, he's already going to pocket the TV cash for last season, over £100m! Another guaranteed £100m for this coming season plus the conveniently placed "loans". In a pure simplistic view, that's close ish to £400m plus whatever purchase price he decides. Is the fat **** going to get his £400m in a roundabout way and at the same time give NUFC fans a nice parting gift of leaving the club in League One? By the time the TV instalments are all paid then its a frightening possibility.

Didnt Derek Liararse once say "They don't know how nasty we can be"

I'm sure Rex could crunch the numbers to see if this is actually financially plausible but the fat snake is definitely up to something!

The Porcine one won't leave until there's no more swill in the trough. While he can keep the cash rolling in why would he go?

If he invested in the team we could well be a top 6 club under Benitez and he's easily get his 400 million. I simply think he's not interested in selling as it's a side of his business that ticks over nicely and keeps the narcissist in the news, he likes people thinking of him as the big bad capitalist businessman, he's genuinely an unpleasant person. How many transfer windows have we been through under this prick and there's always some excuse.
He has nothing but utter contempt for those fans who pay to go every week, buy his tat and spend on food and drink every Saturday. You'd of thought after 11 years people would begin to realise they're giving money to someone who sees them as something on the bottom of his shoe.
If he were to sell now and we went on to improve d'you think his ego would allow that? He's every intention of leaving us in a worse state than he bought us, he's a pathetic needy fucking child, like a lot of these egotistical psychopaths.
The article in the Times comparing him to Kim Jong-un a year back summed him up.

Oh dear oh dear Mike:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...hley-to-kim-jong-un-was-fair-ipso-rules-press

Given the thread title, has anyone else thought that the first 11 is even poorer than last season? Seems to be little mention of these pre-season results where SDU have scored a combined total of 4 goals. 1 being a penalty, but all 4 coming against 2 teams that North Shields would probably beat 25-0.

22k at the Sports Direct Arena too to see a team of German part timers beat their heroes. 22,000 people and not a backbone among them. Must be a new record. Well until the Spurs game.

What really suprises me is that nobody has got close to him, and given him a good pasting.

Then he might get the message, he is not wanted, his time is up, move on....

Given the thread title, has anyone else thought that the first 11 is even poorer than last season? Seems to be little mention of these pre-season results where SDU have scored a combined total of 4 goals. 1 being a penalty, but all 4 coming against 2 teams that North Shields would probably beat 25-0.

22k at the Sports Direct Arena too to see a team of German part timers beat their heroes. 22,000 people and not a backbone among them. Must be a new record. Well until the Spurs game.

The whole squad is weaker, not just the first 11 but thats what happens when the owner doesn't back the manager! The squad, the infrastructure, the senior management are all piss poor to be brutally honest.

I think they are down, I just can't see where the goals are going to come from to win games. Defence isnt great, it will be even weaker if someone tables a £30m bid for Lascelles as he will be off.

The first XI is better than the one that started last season against Spurs whether we agree on it or not plus there's the confidence of knowing they can win games in this league to add.

This was last year's first team.

Elliot
Manquillo, Lejeune, Clark, Dummett
Ritchie, Shelvey, Hayden, Atsu
Pérez
Gayle

Compare that to this potential one.

Dubravka
Yedlin, Lascelles, Schar, Dummett (or that kid from PSG)
Ritchie, Shelvey, Diame, Kenedy
Perez (or new no 10)
Rondon

Only problem is the rest of the league has invested rapidly, and although they may be stronger, the rest are stronger than us, and have more in depth talent.

Better than every pundit, but one, predicted. I reckon this season will be the same.
I agree toony,plus only three from 24 of those predictions had us relegated.

Overwhelmingly Benitez was quoted as the reason for our survival,nothing has changed he is still here and I expect he will once again do the job his boss employed him to do.

I agree toony,plus only three from 24 of those predictions had us relegated.

Overwhelmingly Benitez was quoted as the reason for our survival,nothing has changed he is still here and I expect he will once again do the job his boss employed him to do.

Would love Rafa to get manager of the year as that would increase the chances of any kick off come the season end but personally I reckon we'll finish between 8th and 10th.