Anybody still think Harris is the man | Vital Football

Anybody still think Harris is the man

Brexiteer

Vital Squad Member
to answer our prayers?
His record was on the decline at Cardiff and so far has been dire with us.
He can't blame the budget it's about how he and Storey have spent it and the quality of players he's brought in.
He knew the defence needed strengthening and signed a inexperienced 19 year old who looks fragile. I presume his other defensive signings are more out of desperation.
We signed Mandron who's goalscoring prowess leaves a lot to be desired. He struggled to get in the Crewe side!!
I think it's going to be a long hard season.

to answer our prayers?
He can't blame the budget it's about how he and Storey have spent it and the quality of players he's brought in.
He knew the defence needed strengthening and signed a inexperienced 19 year old who looks fragile. I presume his other defensive signings are more out of desperation.
We signed Mandron who's goalscoring prowess leaves a lot to be desired. He struggled to get in the Crewe side!!

yes, he has not become a bad manager over night.

Dont think it'll make any difference who the manager is, as a club we dont appear to have a pot to piss in. And if we did we'd probably sell the pot.
The pot that we’re pissing in is approximately 10th biggest in the league according to NH. Is he over or under performing?

He deserves more time. It’s a reflex reaction to say ‘sack him’. And I don’t think it’ll help bringing someone else in.

It’s Harris’ mess. He needs to fix it.

No one claimed Harris was the second coming.

Last year he gave us hope in an impossible situation but as for this year its a bad start for sure. What's worse is that we look really poor in the last 2 matches. Wimbledon I could take and we beat Dale (albeit they are crap). So yes he has a mess to clear up.

However if 10th is the budget then honestly its where I see us finishing. Ive no doubt well get better as we get a signing or two more and he finds his team and formation. But im not expecting promotion or play offs on our budget and where we are.

Its interesting times for the club as we are unofficially up for sale so we may be sold this season or before the next in which case it will be to someone with a bit more money than scally even if they arnt loaded. Then its up to the gods to decide if our new owners are inept or good. Harris hopefully will around for that (if we find a buyer)

Whether we are in league 1 or 2 we are treading water unless we have a rich owner. Its crap tonight but I really dont feel we need to worry about the trap door. Well yet at least.

to answer our prayers?
With the time you have given him.
Maybe we have to look at Brexit .It has not been as good as expected so let's forget it .Sack everyone who promoted it .

One thing I found puzzling was his comments after the Rotherham game last season, that not one player still under contract would be here this season. Now since then Tucker has left to MK Dons - he was out of contract and was always going to leave. Henry Woods has gone to Maidstone - he was out on loan last season so not really one of those he’d have been likely referring to.
But the likes of Olly Lee, Ehmer, Tutonda were all regulars last season and as such part of why we got relegated. Yet all 3 are still here.
You can add Reeves and O’Keefe as well of course, all be it those players had less criticism last season, and Reeves only came into the team when Harris took over it.
So something has changed his mind in the summer, was it simply that no teams came in for those players, or did he think they’d be better in League 2 and we may as well keep them? They must be taking up a large portion of the budget, so if he didn’t want them then why are they still here?

One thing I found puzzling was his comments after the Rotherham game last season, that not one player still under contract would be here this season. Now since then Tucker has left to MK Dons - he was out of contract and was always going to leave. Henry Woods has gone to Maidstone - he was out on loan last season so not really one of those he’d have been likely referring to.
But the likes of Olly Lee, Ehmer, Tutonda were all regulars last season and as such part of why we got relegated. Yet all 3 are still here.
You can add Reeves and O’Keefe as well of course, all be it those players had less criticism last season, and Reeves only came into the team when Harris took over it.
So something has changed his mind in the summer, was it simply that no teams came in for those players, or did he think they’d be better in League 2 and we may as well keep them? They must be taking up a large portion of the budget, so if he didn’t want them then why are they still here?

Their prob still here because nobody else wants them.

Their prob still here because nobody else wants them.
That realistically is probably Ehmer's problem.He has suffered religation after religation he has probably lost confidence in himself. So as a result he is not currently able to direct other younger players on defending .The problem he has is possibly multiplied by the fact that the team need that guidance. That comes with experience. Ehmer then is the most likely player to lose his place .If it works he won't get it back unless there are injuries.
With no takers the budget won't run to paying players off and we definitely have at least two being paid far far more than they are currently worth.
Ehmer is more of a problem in my book as he unlike Lee is playing in his best position.Lee can point to thar as a reason for his lack of form. Because of that I think Lee might get a offer. Possibly north of the border again.

One thing I found puzzling was his comments after the Rotherham game last season, that not one player still under contract would be here this season.

If he said that, it is was pretty stupid as it was not something he could control, if they are on 2 year contracts. The fault of SE but they would only leave if their current salary was matched by another club or they were paid off.

Otherwise, it was just a case of working out whether they were worth a place in a League Two side or should rot in the reserves (if we had a reserve team).

I think the answer is becoming clear with Ehmer.

Last edited:
Dont think it'll make any difference who the manager is, as a club we dont appear to have a pot to piss in. And if we did we'd probably sell the pot.

Well, Harrogate have a worse budget and I doubt that Tranmere and Wimbledon are in a hugely better position than us and they all beat us comfortably. Time to stop using budget as an excuse. We’ll have an average budget at worst in this division . Probably somewhere between 7th and 12th (we’ll not know exact and I doubt Harris does) - I’d imagine. The budget is not an excuse for getting thrashed by teams on a similar or lower budget. That’s down to the players and above all manager. He and they need to get themselves organised, front up and sort it out.

My only worry with Harris is that he has not managed a League Two standard team in League Two. Is he a scrapper?

His comments, although sometimes simplistic, always suggest he knows what he is doing but the structure of this side is so different from those that have been successful in League Two before, even including Stimson's team and Hess's team that just missed out on the plays offs for a couple of seasons. The physical and mental strength and fortitude does not seem to be there.

Remember, Mark Hughes is struggling with his first job at League Two level. They lost again last night.

Do any of us see this team suddenly clicking?

Last edited:
Well, Harrogate have a worse budget and I doubt that Tranmere and Wimbledon are in a hugely better position than us and they all beat us comfortably. Time to stop using budget as an excuse. We’ll have an average budget at worst in this division . Probably somewhere between 7th and 12th (we’ll not know exact and I doubt Harris does) - I’d imagine. The budget is not an excuse for getting thrashed by teams on a similar or lower budget. That’s down to the players and above all manager. He and they need to get themselves organised, front up and sort it out.

Do we know whether Harrogate, Wimbledon and Tranmere had the huge turnover of players that we did during the summer?

If not, they would obviously have more cohesion, despite modest budgets.

Our players are probably still trying to remember each others names.

So something has changed his mind in the summer, was it simply that no teams came in for those players, or did he think they’d be better in League 2 and we may as well keep

I think from memory he said something like "we have 7 players under contract next season, and they all won't be here next season".

Literally put, that would mean that none of the seven would be, but I think it is more likely that he meant "they won't all be here next season".