Any Old Iron! Lincolnshires Top Club(At the moment) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Any Old Iron! Lincolnshires Top Club(At the moment)

He probably should have thought about the lack of interest in Scunny before taking over. It's nothing new.

Depressed industrial town with no extra outside investment like Lincoln.

People have more important things to spend money on than football.

Ray Trew clearly wanted to own a football club at all costs. So he bought County and a mountain of debt. How did that work out?

Scunts lost their soul when they moved from the show ground. I was at scunts for an fa cup replay in 84 against championship side Leeds. Botham wanted to play but was on tour with England. Lorinar did and I think he was 70. Our five car loads from Lincoln enjoyed scunts thrash Leeds 4-1 that night with a full house there to boot.
Went to glumford on City’s first visit. Immediately noticed that the place was ‘lose lose.’ They’d lost the clubs soull.
You can argue they’ve never gained it back.

I only ever went to The Old Showground for the Imps derby match and the atmosphere was always decent as one would expect. But, what was it like when they were playing the likes of Barrow, Rochdale, Bury, Southport, Workington, Exeter, Torquay et al?

I agree every time bar the PO semi I have been to seen the Imps play at Glumford Park its been a soulless experience.

I only ever went to The Old Showground for the Imps derby match and the atmosphere was always decent as one would expect. But, what was it like when they were playing the likes of Barrow, Rochdale, Bury, Southport, Workington, Exeter, Torquay et al?

I agree every time bar the PO semi I have been to seen the Imps play at Glumford Park its been a soulless experience.
I went to the Old Showground for non Imps matches several times as I had family there. The crowds were small and quiet with one notable exception, an FA Cup replay v WBA in 1971 with 15000 there, a typical old fashioned cup tie. The people I went with that night were probably typical of most of the crowd in that they either very rarely went to football or supported other clubs.
Generally at that time Scunthorpe were very much the Imps’ poor relations.

There's a few comments here that remind me of us until 2.5 years ago.

Although many comments I agree with, they're punching above their weight considering their fanbase, stadium, facilities etc. Perhaps that should be applauded though?

Swann has either been misquoted or has been economical with the truth. The article said:

‘I have enjoyed the majority of my time at the football club, as I am a footballer at heart and becoming a Chairman of any club is an honour and I still feel the same. Promoting the club throughout my life and my family’s life has been totally enjoyable and I hope to continue that relationship.’

Was he ever a footballer? He may have occasionally kicked a ball but he has certainly devoted most of his life to making money in fields far removed from football.

Has he really promoted Scunthorpe throughout his life? If so, what was he doing at Gainsborough and why did he try and take over the Imps?

Does this character have any credibility or integrity?

starts ok with
"Surely IRON is about strength and support, not weakness and blame?"

then goes on to blame the fans and the squad...

I went to the Old Showground for non Imps matches several times as I had family there. The crowds were small and quiet with one notable exception, an FA Cup replay v WBA in 1971 with 15000 there, a typical old fashioned cup tie. The people I went with that night were probably typical of most of the crowd in that they either very rarely went to football or supported other clubs.
Generally at that time Scunthorpe were very much the Imps’ poor relations.
Brilliant it was in the 70s i took alot of cash off my Scunny supporting school mates.

I was unfortunate enough to be at Wembley when the scunts got promoted to the championship.
I was fortunate though to see one of the most spectacular of Wembley goals though.

We have Chicken Bob to thank for holding out. Swann wanted to buy the club and Bob said no but you can invest and come on the board. They shook on the deal and then Scunthorpe heard about it and offered him the whole club. The rest is history and we will be passing them on the way up next season. Good on Bob for keeping his principles.