Any Old Iron! Lincolnshires Top Club(At the moment) | Vital Football

Any Old Iron! Lincolnshires Top Club(At the moment)

Redimps1

Vital Squad Member
Just been on the fishy for my weekly laugh.However there is a thread on there about our friends up north ie Scunny .The chairman Swanny who we narrowly missed as our owner is having a rant about there fans etc etc.
Great read for a laugh.
Im sure somebody can put the link up???

https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/2018/december/chairmans-message/

Here you go is this the article you are on about?

I wonder if he looks around Glumford Park with 3 or 4 thousand in it on a match day now and thinks why oh why did I buy this when I could have had all that potential and excitement down the road.

The thing is it is doubtful whether we would have The Cowley's here now because we wouldn't have Clive and Bob here if he had bought the club. So who knows where we would have been but there is no doubt that our club has so much potential compared to our neighbours up the A15.

Last edited:
Get the excuses in now to give your fans a happy Xmas.
Give your defenders a boost by telling them they can't defend.
Tell your manager to get a grip as he doesn't know his players as I sacked the last one I put in place because I/he/we got it wrong when I put him in place!

Scunts lost their soul when they moved from the show ground. I was at scunts for an fa cup replay in 84 against championship side Leeds. Botham wanted to play but was on tour with England. Lorinar did and I think he was 70. Our five car loads from Lincoln enjoyed scunts thrash Leeds 4-1 that night with a full house there to boot.
Went to glumford on City’s first visit. Immediately noticed that the place was ‘lose lose.’ They’d lost the clubs soull.
You can argue they’ve never gained it back.

...on the other hand nobody can deny the success Scunthorpe has had in the last dozen seasons, and he's right, they punch above their weight because of him - and his predecessor. All clubs do, which always makes me smile when gobshites at games claim they "pay the players' wages".

Even then, at the height of their success they were subject to the old curse of raised expectations. A friend, a regular at their games, said that when they were in the Championship they were plenty of fans saying that the club wasn't making a proper attempt to get into the PL and bemoaning a lack of "ambition".

Threatening supporters that if they don't turn up he won't invest I would think is more likely going to alienate supporters than encourage them to turn up. Seems like he's getting ready to leave and starting to stack up the excuses so when he goes it's a case of 'he was forced out'. Not followed them closely but if that's a demonstration of the attitude it's clear why they haven't attracted more supporters despite success.

I think he has finally discovered that the old adage is true!

No matter how much money you throw at it "you cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear"

Attendance Saturday was 3,054 with 182 from Gillingham so that's 2,852 home fans. After spending millions of pounds, promising a new ground and have had a brief flirtation with The Championship. It must be very disheartening for him to know that generally the people of Scunthorpe aren't that interested and that it's always going to be just those 3 or 4 thousand at most!

Last edited:
https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/2018/december/chairmans-message/

Here you go is this the article you are on about?

I wonder if he looks around Glumford Park with 3 or 4 thousand in it on a match day now and thinks why oh why did I buy this when I could have had all that potential and excitement down the road.

The thing is it is doubtful whether we would have The Cowley's here now because we wouldn't have Clive and Bob here if he had bought the club. So who knows where we would have been but there is no doubt that our club has so much potential compared to our neighbours up the A15.
Thanks Casper!

Swann took over in the summer of 2013 after Scunthorpe had just been relegated to League 2 (I think)

In the last four years, to get them one place above the League One relegation places the accumulated losses have been an eyewatering £10,121,000.

Turnover in that time has been £12,973,000. So that means that for every £1 Scunthorpe have received, he's spent £1.78.

FFP anyone?

Swann took over in the summer of 2013 after Scunthorpe had just been relegated to League 2 (I think)

In the last four years, to get them one place above the League One relegation places the accumulated losses have been an eyewatering £10,121,000.

Turnover in that time has been £12,973,000. So that means that for every £1 Scunthorpe have received, he's spent £1.78.

FFP anyone?
This needs investigating.

That was one rambling rant. I like the way that as a Scunthorpe fan you are not only expected to turn up but having done so you had better buy the food and drink that has been provided. Also he seems to get his message confused about the players - on the one hand they are a small squad crippled by injuries with in particular defenders played helplessly out of position before he goes onto slate them for simply not being good enough. I thought the way he reminded everyone that they should almost be on their knees praying at the altar of his (wife's) money is quite telling about his ego but matter not after all that he does wish them a happy Christmas.