Another one bites the dust. | Vital Football

Another one bites the dust.

Hampshiregills

Vital Youth Team
Rodney Green. An old fashioned get stuck in type of centre forward from the 60's, whom as I recall had a pretty good scoring record in the time he was at Priestfield. Thanks Rodney.

If youve put this because he has passed away, I think that's quite a distasteful name youve put to the thread. That title usually alludes to a manager being sacked

I thought that. I was expecting to read that a manager had been sacked.

But I'm sure jokerman is right and Hampshire meant no offence.

I and a friend had a hell of a lot of respect for Rodney Green. There had never been a striker of his ilk at GFC before. He knew his role and he was 'hard' in achieving it. It was amazing seeing him and Burgess start training with the squad, who appeared lightweight before these guys were introduced!

I’m sure I read somewhere that he was the second ever sub in English league football ( after Sir Keith of course for Charlton) but I may be wrong. I’ll consult my collection of books later. Anyone else know? RIP Rodney.

Thanks for the obituary itsimupnorth, cracking as you say. One in two and a character to boot, cheers Rodney!

It's worth noting that no floweers were requested but any donations should be directed to The Sporting Memories Foundation. It looks as if he may have been yet another victim of football related dementia.

https://www.sportingmemoriesnetwork.com/

On a more cheerful note he seems to have had a full and eventful life.

Last edited:
That was a fantastic article. Thanks for sharing Tim.

Best bits for me -

“A favourite amongst fans, who – knowing of his fondness for a post-match trip to the pub - coined the song: “He’s up, he’s down, he’s in the Rose and Crown, Rodney Green . . .”

Brilliant. And what a great way to be sung about.

Next bit was when he was snowed in one day in Halifax, he drove his tractor through The town centre to get to the pub. Legend right there.

Sleep well Rodney.

Read more at: https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/ne...sinessman-rodney-green-dies-aged-79-1-9468642

Great article, great character and by the looks of it, a great life.

I get the impression he would have laughed at the title of this thread.

RIP Rodney.