Andy Woodman | Vital Football

Andy Woodman

Gills_Horse

Vital Reserves Team
As good as done, I am told by a few Gills media friends. He is odds on with the bookies now too.

Not sure what to make of it personally, has had success at Bromley, but largely inexperienced management wise, and has no real pedigree to his CV.

Personally I wouldn't have brought Lovell in as caretaker, but now he is here, I see some value in keeping him for the season, and waiting for a potentially better name to come up in the summer. Plus he is a fan favourite, so makes some sense to have him trying to galvanise the place.

Albeit we'd be in league 2 (probably), I do think we'd be a better proposition to a potential manager come the summer, than we are now really.

Edit - I should add, this is the same sources who told me Evans was leaving on the morning of the day it happened, so I trust their legitimacy.

Last edited:
Oh dear.

Given the finance situation, it was inevitable that we’d bring in a rookie manager. I think he is good friends with Southgate but doubt his network and reputation is going to help us find and attract any talent.

I heard this rumour from someone who was in the boxes on Saturday, but not sure how accurate it is.

I don't know much about him to be honest - remember him as a decent keeper for Northampton. However, at 50, he hasn't got a lot on his CV of note as coach/manager. He seems to have done OK at Bromley, but on the face of it, is that enough to qualify him to take over a League One team in a mess where a lot of work needs to be done both on the coaching and transfer front? He's been a coach at some big teams and with experienced high-profile managers, but mainly in the limited role of goalie coach, so maybe he's picked up some valuable experience at the likes of Arsenal, Newcastle, Palace and West Ham and, more importantly, maybe he has some contacts there?

All in though, not the appointment I am hoping for.

Also, Gills_Horse, where have you seen the odds for this? Most places I've looked haven't got as Gills manager market? I use Skybet and in the past, they have had "new manager" markets for us and other lower league teams, but they haven't got new manager markets for us or any other teams below the Prem at the moment. I even queried it with them and they said they weren't doing one

Also, Gills_Horse, where have you seen the odds for this? Most places I've looked haven't got as Gills manager market? I use Skybet and in the past, they have had "new manager" markets for us and other lower league teams, but they haven't got new manager markets for us or any other teams below the Prem at the moment. I even queried it with them and they said they weren't doing one

Bet Victor mate, he is 1/3 on there currently.

I feel he is the sort of appointment we will get I can't see that many experienced league one managers touching us right now.According to what I read he favours a back three that would at least be a different approach. Marc Bircham was pictured at Priestfield so we can possibly take it he was a possibly on Saturday. I would not have thought that Scally will put the manager in place before we play Wigan.Although possibly announced this week or early next.I would not be surprised if we are now down too two or three possibilities.

IF Woodman comes, who might he bring with him ?

Goalie [brother of Regan] Reice Charles-Cook, perhaps ?
Striker Michael Cheek, perhaps ?

I think lovell needed to win Saturday to hold onto the job even on a temporary basis. Yes we were better Saturday but we still got beat 3-1 by an ordinary mid table outfit.

As for the new manager then if he's coming in this season then he gets a chance to look at the squad and plan for next year. No bad thing. If he knows the non league scene then maybe he is aware of a few hidden gems we can look to bring in over the summer.

His arrival doesn't fill me with confidence that he will arrest the decline but he'll get my support for the ten or so games I have left.

As good as done, I am told by a few Gills media friends. He is odds on with the bookies now too.

Not sure what to make of it personally, has had success at Bromley, but largely inexperienced management wise, and has no real pedigree to his CV.

Personally I wouldn't have brought Lovell in as caretaker, but now he is here, I see some value in keeping him for the season, and waiting for a potentially better name to come up in the summer. Plus he is a fan favourite, so makes some sense to have him trying to galvanise the place.

Albeit we'd be in league 2 (probably), I do think we'd be a better proposition to a potential manager come the summer, than we are now really.

Edit - I should add, this is the same sources who told me Evans was leaving on the morning of the day it happened, so I trust their legitimacy.

Oh dear

I think lovell needed to win Saturday to hold onto the job even on a temporary basis. Yes we were better Saturday but we still got beat 3-1 by an ordinary mid table outfit.

As for the new manager then if he's coming in this season then he gets a chance to look at the squad and plan for next year. No bad thing. If he knows the non league scene then maybe he is aware of a few hidden gems we can look to bring in over the summer.

His arrival doesn't fill me with confidence that he will arrest the decline but he'll get my support for the ten or so games I have left.

new manager needs to win games.

I'd rather have a new name with an unblemished, if unsubstantial, record than one of the merry-go-round managers with half a dozen sackings to their name.

He's coached at four PL sides so must have something about him (usefully three of those are local if he's retained contacts there)and he's got a Bromley side punching well above their weight in the National League, they're currently 5th. In all honesty the gap between top of that league and the shit state we're currently in cannot be that large.

Realistically, what better option would we have available to us?

I know nothing about him, but Bromley are currently 5th in the National League having played a couple more games than some of the teams around them, and Bromley previously sacked Neil Smith when he had them in 7th place.

I therefore suspect that he is no better or worse than Smudger, who we would not have to pay any compensation for.

It is therefore a strange one, but he may have impressed PS in an interview and have some fresh ideas, so I think he deserves to be given a fair chance, particularly if he accepts an 18 month contract so we can easily get rid of him if next season back in League Two, with his summer signings, does not start well.

At least we can't complain Woodman does not have connections, he was Gareth Southgate's best man at his wedding!!
He’s been a coach at arsenal, Newcastle and palace so he should have some connections. I think the appointment will be based on that opposed to his actual managing career which is obviously very short

When I saw the thread title I assumed someone had forgotten the (NG). No idea who he is but it realistically shows who we can afford. If we don't go down the Gills old boy route then we're likely to get a manager from non-League.

Can't comment on whether it's good or bad as I know nothing about the guy but it does provide some belly size continuity ;)

Then what was the point of bringing in Lovell at all?
To go through the process of interviewing candidates and take training for the week. Pretty sure Scally said he’s come in short term, I suspect a win Saturday may have brought him some more time. I question why we made the two signings as it could restrict the the new manager from bringing in who he wanted.