Andy Murray (n/g) | Vital Football

Andy Murray (n/g)

madrid_gill

Vital 1st Team Regular
No idea how he does it. Played 4 hours and 50 minutes to beat a top player in Berrettini in the 1st round, then follows it up today with another 5 set win, this time in 5 hours 45 minutes, finishing at just after 4am local time. All of that with a metal hip, against players 9-10 years younger than him, and in the first match at least, on a day when several other matches were delayed due to the intense heat.

I was following tentatively at work, but didn’t realise until I watched those highlights that he was 5-2 down in the third set!

Years ago, there used to be a few on here (or predecessor forums) that said he was a choker. And maybe he did throw away a few great chances of winning more majors, but looking back on his career and even today, the bloke is an absolute hero, very inspiring and universally liked and respected throughout tennis - something that isn’t the case for many.

Years ago, there used to be a few on here (or predecessor forums) that said he was a choker. And maybe he did throw away a few great chances of winning more majors, but looking back on his career and even today, the bloke is an absolute hero, very inspiring and universally liked and respected throughout tennis - something that isn’t the case for many.

I think he's been pretty unfortunate in a way to have coincided with 3 of the best, if not the 3 best, players of all time. If he'd played in pretty much any other era he'd surely have won quite a few more Grand Slams than he has.

Andy Murray is an inspiration. With the major surgery on his hip I thought he would have called it a day, but he keeps going. What a great competitor with a massive heart. Has been one of my favourite sportsman for several years and wish him all the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is he lining up another Murray special here? Battered 6-1 in the first set, and was 4-2 down in the second, up to that point he'd only won 3 points all match on Bautista's serve. Got the break back, and has taken the tie-break 9-7. Been going for almost 2 hours already, and at least 2 more sets to come.