Andy Awford | Vital Football

Andy Awford

Lemmi

Vital Squad Member
The official site has now confirmed as Manager.

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/article/awford-appointed-pompey-manager-1520647.aspx

The anticipated permanent appointment of <b><font color='#0E4FB0'>Andy Awford</font></b> has been confirmed.

An official statement was this morning released confirming his appointment on a 1-year rolling contact.

So, not only is Awford today celebrating his manager of the month nomination he is also celebrating his appointment as our next manager with it almost certain he will cap a fine couple of days with him confirmation as the manager of the month for April tomorrow.

It would be the icing on the cake if we could win at the weekend!

Rather than cut short what Awford said upon his appointment I am going to quote, what he said on The Pompey Site, in its entirety: 'it is with huge pride that I am delighted to accept the board's offer to be the new manager of Portsmouth Football Club.

'I have accepted the offer as I feel the club is, after a year of laying strong financial foundations, now in a position to look ahead, move forward, go from strength to strength and achieve the stability it craves.

'I genuinely believe that the club is now ready to progress and the opportunity to lead it is a challenge that I relish and am absolutely committed to.

'The rebuild won't be quick and simple, as unfortunately we are still hindered by the recent past, but the board have assured me that brick-by-brick, day-by-day, month-by-month, year-by-year, we will continue the good work that has been done this season and build a football club that we can all be very proud of for years to come.

'In my opinion, the only way we can achieve this is by all of us – the board, the staff, the players, the fans, the city – being united and maintaining the 'Pompey Spirit' that I know is unbreakable.

'The city must smile and when Pompey is happy this city most definitely smiles.

'The opportunity to manage this football club is one I am extremely grateful for and it allows me to achieve another personal football ambition.

'I am honoured, excited and thrilled to be given the job and look forward to us all working together for the good of Portsmouth Football Club.'

Nicely said Andy, I have this feeling that you could prove to be a very successful appointment for us.

Yep it will not all be sweetness and roses, all the time, like it has been this season, but I think that Awford 'getting us', granted others might have, will really help as will his seeming tactical ability not to mention his undoubted man-management skills.

He will also be happy to use the talent we have coming through.

I had reservations at first, like many others, about appointing him permanently at the end of his temporary spell but I do not think that many would argue that following his performance as caretaker manager he deserves his chance.

My one slight disappointment about this news is that it was not saved for the weekend; I think an announcement literally ahead of the game would have been a nice touch.

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://twitter.com/vitalportsmouth " target="blank"><b>Follow @VitalPortsmouth</b></a>.

PLAY UP POMPEY!

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18281" target="blank"><b>To vote for your player of the season – click here</b></a>.

<a style="color:#0E4FB0" href="http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18263" target="blank"><b>Click here to make your prediction: Pompey v Plymouth</b></a>.

<b><I>Vital Pompey always wants blogs, so if can offer us something we would love to share it with the masses!

To email your own unique article/blog for publishing</b> <a href="mailto:portsmouth@vitalfootball.co.uk"><font color="#0E4FB0"><b>***CLICK HERE***</font></b></a></I>

Definitely deserved his chance, will not say much more as have said what I wanted to above really.

Congrats to AA, lets end on a real high with another win to follow up his manager of the month confirmation as he WILL win this!

I had reservations too Rug, about AA. These arose from an indifferent spell as caretaker - not just results, but also the way he carried himself.

I have seen him grow since then & he now has an aura of a confident, experienced manager, despite his lack of real experience.

The big test for AA comes over the summer. He has shown he is a good coach & motivator of men, but now he has to show that he is able to sign good players & release the bad ones. That is an entirely different skillset.

He will hit sticky patches, and will lose a few on the spin at some point. Let's hope we give him a chance to ride any short-term blips & take us forward for the medium term. Time will tell.

Welcome aboard Andy - you have my full support.

He deserves his chance and the 1 year rolling contract is a sensible one.

I dont think there was any real alternative to AA getting the job, its good that neither he nor the club rushed into it, it seems that all parties have done plenty of fact finding & talking g This can be good, best of luck Andy. :1: :2:

Certainly nothing negative about this appointment, will reserve judgement until sometime in the future. AA has earnt this; I just hope he continues to show the maturity he has in selection, formation and man management...not to mention, tactical astuteness and courage to change things when it was needed, something the useless previous incumbent never even had the bottle to do or indeed had the tactical nous to do either.
He's to hoping Andy is the man to continue to instil the Pompey spirit and feel good factor back into the team, the City and us fans...Heaven knows we deserve it!!

Congratulations I'm really excited by the appointment. And I agree with PFCBlue above that a one year rolling contract is a sensible decision by the board. It gives the manager the best chances to succeed with an affordable get-out clause should the club need to make it. Mind you I don't think he will need it as I personally feel next season will be a much better experience. Didn't think we quite got over the 3-1 home stuffing by Oxford until Andy took charge so really pleased about the appointment.

Had to bring this back to the top so you can all recollect your initial thoughts.

<i>tbh none were too positive</i>

Nothing like raking up old opinions.

I think most views on VP are well-balanced generally.

There are some out there, like on Express FM, saying the board made a mistake appointing AA.

I'm not saying this personally. I think they couldn't look anywhere else at the time. He couldn't have done more in the spell he had.

However, Andy has tied himself up in knots as time has gone on.

Must we stick to only one opinion, one asks oneself, or should we adapt to the changing evidence? I think the latter is possibly best.

The issue is, who is available out there now capable of applying the correct motivation and tactical nous.
Without the right person as was with Barker, the state of affairs could get worse.
If there is a correct replacement, it needs to be a proven genius out of retirement perhaps or someone really up and coming from lower down and as yet unnoticed.
Maybe Neil Warnock could be a consultant/Manager for a short term.
I dunno.
If AA had magic I think that it would now be evident. Sadly, results and performances state the facts.

penton - 1/5/2014 21:07

Certainly nothing negative about this appointment, will reserve judgement until sometime in the future. AA has earnt this; I just hope he continues to show the maturity he has in selection, formation and man management...not to mention, tactical astuteness and courage to change things when it was needed, something the useless previous incumbent never even had the bottle to do or indeed had the tactical nous to do either.
He's to hoping Andy is the man to continue to instil the Pompey spirit and feel good factor back into the team, the City and us fans...Heaven knows we deserve it!!

Well I think enough time has gone by to give an opinion.
Quite frankly all I had hoped for didn't come to fruition. Awford has been nothing short of a disaster! Where is the man who took on the backs to the wall situation with gusto and nous? Where is the man who galvanised a beaten team and turned us into a solid winning unit?
Was Awford abducted and Richie Barker in a latex mask reinstalled?
I hoped and I prayed for this appointment to be the right one, and from my place of writing I can honestly say I've lost all faith in Awford and the team, so so let down and disappointed.
One good thing from my point of view is I haven't wasted a penny of my hard earned at all watching the dross that passes for Portsmouth football club in 14 months and nothing at all will drag me back with the way things are ( and I loved a Saturday in Fratton as many of you know) sad sad days...

Opinions change, and change often by what you are seeing - to be fair I do not think anyone could be blammed if they HAVE changed an opinion on AA could they?

Still like the guy, as I do most managers that we have had and will have still I suppose, but looking more and more out of his depth now isnt he - goes without saying I HOPE, and do think he will, turns it around and we stay up but we should not be ending one season thankful that we merely stayed up again should we...

Think we will have to have a serious thought in the summer about what happens - we cannot see deja vu again next season, sadly you cannot help but think this will be the case if he stays?

Lets hope I am wrong and in 12-months time we can bring this up again with an opinion changed again!

Proved I was right to be cautious though Rug! Prayed it wasn't a fluke but in the long term it appears it might just have been that

I guess the board have now made their decision for the time being and fair play to them for doing it quickly and addressing the issue whether or not we think it is the right decision. The thing now is to get behind the team and Awfs for the next game, we know he is going to be in charge and getting on his back like the disgraceful chants on Saturday will not help matters. It would be great if he turned it around however dubious I am as to whether he is capable of doing that.