Ancestry | Vital Football

Ancestry

If you've been on Ancestry before, you can still use your UK sign in.if not, you can still use the UK Ancestry after the three months. I have a link to get 50% off that too :-)

Yup, used it for free at Christmas.
My son keeps on at me to do the dna. My sister had done it but that only gives the female line and only for so many generations.
Cannot work out so far which dna test is best to go with and also the small problem of not wanting to give access to my dna lol.

My son keeps on at me to do the dna. My sister had done it but that only gives the female line and only for so many generations.
Cannot work out so far which dna test is best to go with and also the small problem of not wanting to give access to my dna lol.

Everyone should have their DNA done! Should get both lines with your sister. It is better for males to do the DNA. Women have two x chromosomes, they pass one to a daughter, or one to a son. Males have an x and y chromosome, and only the y chromosome is passed through the males. I have found lots of info on my biological father, and still finding things out about his side. Been quite a journey!

Genealogy provides some amazing trails - good hunting for all those that take the journey. Researching can be fun as well as informative. Cheers LSB2.

I have a twisted journey, but it's been really enjoyable. I'd have to write a book of my tree lol

Buggered if I'm doing it, knowing my luck I'll find out Wayne is my dad 😮

That made me laugh.

I bought my mum a DNA kit for a present once, she has an interesting maternal line into Swedish nobility. I keep getting emails on "matches" but they are all 3rd to 5th cousins so in reality anyone on the street almost.

I think this thread is mixing up family tree sites and the DNA test sites though - easy to do as they have similar names.

That made me laugh.

I bought my mum a DNA kit for a present once, she has an interesting maternal line into Swedish nobility. I keep getting emails on "matches" but they are all 3rd to 5th cousins so in reality anyone on the street almost.

I think this thread is mixing up family tree sites and the DNA test sites though - easy to do as they have similar names.

Do both! Apart from my full sister, I have one third cousin and no one else close. He has a crap tree. Most of my DNA matches are from 5th cousins or further out. I've managed to get my tree back even further with those matches and researching my tree.

Be cushty to have the 50% off Ancestry UK,link,appreciate,cheers.

From previous searches i am of pure British chav stock.

Mums side
- father = bakers and farmers with some sailing types from Essex back to the seventeen hundreds at least.
On her mothers side - fish merchants and sea farers from Deal back to at least seventeen hundreds.

Dads side:
- father = lace makers and agricultural labourers from Nottingham back to at least seventeen hundreds
On his mothers side - freemen of the river medway and sailing bargees from rochester back to sixteen hundreds and probably way way back further.

My sisters dna shows all British plus a bit of France. So I am a peasant and must have been in serfdom or poverty for most of that time as a wage slave, i want reparations ffs.

A cousin of mine was in the diplomatic service around the world and often had spare time on her hands! No children and only married in her late 40s her life project was to research our family tree. My father was the youngest of 11 children and I have 32 cousins. My father's father was Swiss. Thanks to impeccable tax records in Switzerland my cousin traced the family back to 1564. It cost her quite a bit and she could have gone back another 200 years but at considerable expense.

On the grandmother's side she could trace back until the late 18th century. One ancestor in Newcastle, a doctor, stood trial accused of poisoning his wife. My cousin got copies of the complete trial notes. An incredible read. He was acquitted.

On the other side of my family one ancestor, a great great uncle, owned the land where Gore Court Cricket Club is. In his will he bequeathed it to the Club with a covenant about not selling off any land for development (it was a very large piece of land!). Eventually, in my lifetime, the covenant was overridden and that housing estate to the left of the ground as you go towards Sittingbourne was the result! Teed off the family I can tell you.

I would encourage anyone to trace their family histories and to make sure elderly relatives are asked about their recollections before they are lost forever.

I go round telling the locals that this ancestry business is an American obsession and that people like ourselves have no time for all that blood and soil guff. Looks like, once again, I'm out of date. You haven't all started sticking up flag poles in the garden have you?

I go round telling the locals that this ancestry business is an American obsession and that people like ourselves have no time for all that blood and soil guff. Looks like, once again, I'm out of date. You haven't all started sticking up flag poles in the garden have you?
Only the hammer and sickle flag