Analysis Of Sanchez - An Unfair Scapegoat | Vital Football

Analysis Of Sanchez - An Unfair Scapegoat

It's a long, but very interesting analysis. It's a bit too long to share in a thread but I recommend. It shows the vast differences between how Poch handled Sanchez and how Jose has.

I dont remember Sanchez playing much under Poch TBH.
His starting and finishing 11 was pretty nailed on.
Sanchez was never in it from memory. Maybe I am wrong.

Toby spent a good year injured at one point and Sanchez and Vertonghen had a good partnership for a while.

He's played 100 games for us now I think, and joined in 2017. Compared to Toby, who I think has 167 appearances since 2015. It was a pretty decent trio of Toby, Jan and Dav for a couple of seasons under Poch.

Great reading this. The system and style of play certainly hasn't helped anyone in the team.

I do think the Jose way has really highlighted the defenders weaknesses.

This is why I have been shocked with Jose's management. He has literally done nothing to solve the issues. He has persisted with a style that doesn't work for any of the team.

His mentality is clearly, tuff my way or the high way. If you can't do what I want I'll just expose you for how poor you are.

Even in the madness Sanchez has still had the odd good game.

Him and Jan were a very good CB partnership.

We are going to be skint for years so if we have to persist with what we have I hope we focus on Sanchez, Rodon, Tanganga and a young up and coming natural LCB for the forseible.

I still see 3 big weaknesses in the team. RB, LCB and DM.

If I put Jose and Poch to one side for a minute, what is abundantly clear is that Davinson hasn't achieved the levels that we hoped for when we bought him for £40m in 2017. That being said, he is 24 and has his best years ahead of him. There are clearly tactical reasons why it is not setup well for him, but there are also some moments where in any setup he lets himself down.

I think you also have to put Toby, Dier, Rodon and Japhet to one side in this conversation. Davinson, 24, is contracted until 2024 and Spurs need to figure out whether he is our long term answer. If he is, then give him a new contract on more than his £65k a week. If he isn't, then consider cashing in and find someone with a longer career runway.

What this doesn't distract from is the bigger problems in the Jose setup. There is simply no running off the ball and no chance of playing an effective possession based game. Every game, we know we will mostly look the inferior side and just wait for the few golden moments from Kane or Son which might get us some points. That is no way to exist as a Spurs fan and we know the root cause.

If I put Jose and Poch to one side for a minute, what is abundantly clear is that Davinson hasn't achieved the levels that we hoped for when we bought him for £40m in 2017. That being said, he is 24 and has his best years ahead of him. There are clearly tactical reasons why it is not setup well for him, but there are also some moments where in any setup he lets himself down.

I think you also have to put Toby, Dier, Rodon and Japhet to one side in this conversation. Davinson, 24, is contracted until 2024 and Spurs need to figure out whether he is our long term answer. If he is, then give him a new contract on more than his £65k a week. If he isn't, then consider cashing in and find someone with a longer career runway.

What this doesn't distract from is the bigger problems in the Jose setup. There is simply no running off the ball and no chance of playing an effective possession based game. Every game, we know we will mostly look the inferior side and just wait for the few golden moments from Kane or Son which might get us some points. That is no way to exist as a Spurs fan and we know the root cause.
Yes muttley we all know the root cause, its the Turnip coaching the squad.

I don't have much confidence in Sanchez improving. He doesn't come across as the sharpest knife in the block. Both in his play and media interviews he seems a bit vacant.

When you look at intelligence of other CBs I wouldn't put him at the top of the pile.

Yes muttley we all know the root cause, its the Turnip coaching the squad.

I've highlighted how badly our defensive strategic planning is this season, which is further undermined by our shortcomings in our tactics and our lack of consistent line-up's at the back.

The only consistency we can see is that Jose has destroyed the value of some of our biggest monetary assets, he's 24 and is a huge talent, but he needs to work in a different set-up.

Great analysis. I suspect Dier is in the same boat.

Eric Dier has been played all over the pitch, in multiple 'philosophies' and has failed at all of them.

His problem is very different, and it's two-fold. first, and most important, he has very little "awareness" on the pitch within his personal space, and non-existent beyond about 3 yds to his front. Second, he has a slow ticking mind. He trips over his own thoughts, and isn't reactionary enough naturally to make the necessary recoveries. He do great as a RB in the Portuguese league.

Snchz is a misused player, who has all the necessary bits to be one of a great CB pairing. He is not great on his own. In today's market, at 40m an absolute steal.

Personally I think Sanchez is the man! our best CD, yes there are mistakes in him, for me that's a sign of no confidence in himself, and esp from the coach, thus panicking prevails , etc.
Remember most CD's get way better when they are in their mid to late 20's. more experienced etc.

Personally I think Sanchez is the man! our best CD, yes there are mistakes in him, for me that's a sign of no confidence in himself, and esp from the coach, thus panicking prevails , etc.
Remember most CD's get way better when they are in their mid to late 20's. more experienced etc.
I agree. I just feel with a solid CB partnering him at the back we'd see a big change in our fortunes going forward. He's had so many defensive partners now it's become a circus of late.

I agree. I just feel with a solid CB partnering him at the back we'd see a big change in our fortunes going forward. He's had so many defensive partners now it's become a circus of late.

The whole back line is a circus . Sanchez and Toby work well
, but Toby keeps getting ostracised!
Dier comes in and goes out , Rodon wasn’t considered for ages but now plays every game.

We should play Sanchez , Rodon and Toby , consistently . Toby in the middle using his skill and brain , let the other two do the hard work .
Leave Dier where he is best , on the bench or right back .
Get rid of Doherty or play him to his strengths ,

Get rid of the circus master and everyone will be more entertaining.

The whole back line is a circus . Sanchez and Toby work well
, but Toby keeps getting ostracised!
Dier comes in and goes out , Rodon wasn’t considered for ages but now plays every game.

We should play Sanchez , Rodon and Toby , consistently . Toby in the middle using his skill and brain , let the other two do the hard work .
Leave Dier where he is best , on the bench or right back .
Get rid of Doherty or play him to his strengths ,

Get rid of the circus master and everyone will be more entertaining.
Well part of the last line has happened, now for the entertainment bit.