Alan Smith offered deal by Plymouth | Vital Football

Alan Smith offered deal by Plymouth

runner_pie

Vital Reserves Team
Not a headline I was expecting when I woke up this morning. While it would be another player off the wage bill, the story claims that Smith is one of the lowest paid players at the club. It will be interesting to see what happens in January.

http://m.nottinghampost.com/Notts-County-midfielder-Alan-Smith-attracting/story-28402398-detail/story.html?

I don't think Smith is anywhere near as bad as some people make out, but I feel this is more of a ploy by his agent than anything. To say that he's "one of the lowest paid players at the club" and that he'd be "happy to stay with Ricardo Moniz's side if they can offer him a new contract", he's certainly making his feelings known.

He seems to bring a lot to the club in terms of leadership and coaching if Liam Noble's praise is anything to judge by, but his playing career's winding down and I'd hope we could live without him if he was determined to go.

I've seen some really good performances from Smith and some games where he has been chasing shadows and failed to have any impact. I wonder whether he ought to be used more sparingly to get the best out of him on a more consistent basis. I would imagine that he is influential in the dressing room, particularly with the younger players. I wonder whether he would want to move so far away at this stage in his career.