Adam McGurk | Vital Football

Adam McGurk

pompeyweller

Vital Reserves Team
This one has come in under the radar - I would say he is a forward rather than a striker but seems to have talent and knows the league after getting promoted last season and playoffs the season before with Burton. Free transfer too with JFH wanting to keep him but decides to join us instead. Good signing? Yes I think so. But personally I would like a bruiser target man for back up or changes to formation. Not much more room in the squad now - right back the overriding priority then maybe a defensive midfielder...

Welcome to the club Adam, may you continue your success in this league with us!

Rather out of the blue this morning Pompey announced the signing of Adam McGurk from Burton Albion..

<br><br><a href ="http://www.vitalfootball.co.uk/router.asp?554502">Click here to read the article</a><br><br>

No idea who this guy is to be honest. But I guess we need some back-up for our starting XI.

I've seen a bit of him and have also heard his name over the years.

Think this is a good signing, a player to play off the main striker to provide goals and help create them too - good signing!

Again I don't know too much about this lad - but I think Cookie has brought him in with a mind to playing him in this favoured 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-2-1 system

McGurk was only ever going to shot!

And thankfully he did, as that earned Pompey a point at Oxford!

When Adam McGurk joined Pompey in the summer he, like others, turned down the chance to play at a higher level in favour of playing in league two with PFC, which speaks volumes doesn't it?

Although, unlike players of the past, they aren't doing this 'for the money' they're doing this as they've got genuine belief if what can be achieved at Fratton...

<a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=557048#ixzz3mSFewISs' target='blank'><b>Click here to read the article</b></a>

Nice thoughts Rug, I think he can play up top but not as naturally as Tubbs or Stockley maybe. He is strong enough and decent in the air. I think that we out to pull Evans back in the pecking order, he seems a better fit as a right sided midfielder in 4 rather than an attacking wide forward in our formation. His work rate is excellent but he doesn't quite seem to have the attacking instincts of say a Chaplin or McGurk who are forwards rather than midfielder's. He looks like he would benefit from a bit of extra space that could be provided by 2 up top and he can score but in our current formation the team is a little unbalanced I find when Bennett and Evans play together. I still think there is a lot more in the players we have however and if we had this squad in league 1 a few years ago we would not have been relegated, it is that good in my mind.

Perhaps Evans could be the option you previously spoke about as coming into the middle of the park to get us moving quicker and do more on the ball weller?

As for McGurk, looks a decent player but - as said - better suited to playing behind as opposed to that natural striker, certainly as one on his own.

Perhaps him and Chaplin work well as they inter-change roles?

McGurk out for a month!

What a disappointment this is for both Pompey, and of course Adam McGurk, with Paul Cook confirming his absence on the News pre-match Exeter.

McGurk's injury in the warm up against Bristol Rovers not only saw him forced out of that it'll keep him out of Exeter tonight and for 'three or four weeks' according to Cook, so 'it's a bad one.'

Injury ahead of the season saw him playing catch up, although having worked himself back to fitness he was getting a run in the side and starting to show us what he could do, which in fairness from what I've previously seen of him at this level I didn't doubt him!

A 'sprained ankle' will end the 'momentum' he was building up with Cookie saying he's 'back to squad one' again but he's confident with the other options he has.

<a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=557280#ixzz3n6ys2WnY' target='blank'><b>Read more - click here</b></a>.

Stop-start a worry with forward

Injuries, in the main, cannot be helped can they?

Some players are more 'unfortunate' than others when it comes to this but Paul Cook has admitted he's 'a little concerned' about Adam McGurk's injuries so far...

A pre-season thigh injury saw the summer arrival held back and then, just as he started to find his feet with some impressive form and goals the forward was sidelined again with an ankle injury, which 'should' see him looking to come back in around a couple of weeks.

Cook told the News recently that his 'stop-start' season is a bit of a worry with this a trait he's looking to end

<a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=558062#ixzz3p2T7khzI' target='blank'><b>Read more - click here</b></a>.

Goals the only positive for McGurk!

Adam McGurk got his 4th and 5th goals of the season for Pompey with his brace seeing Pompey through to the 2nd round of the FA cup...not that he was celebrating it too much!

His goals made sure a 'cupset' was avoided with Pompey beating Macclesfield 2-1 at Fratton on Saturday but his goals, as he told portsmouthfc.co.uk, were about the only positives for the Blues...

That's both on a personal and collective level! With him saying the goals were the only positive for him as his performance 'was poor' and he knows it needs to be better all-round

<a style='color:#0E4FB0' href='http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=558845#ixzz3qzXCdnU0' target='blank'><b>Read more - click here</b></a>.

As you'll see above he wasn't happy with his performance but will McGurk - or should he - keep his place this weekend after his goals?