A-Z Two From One | Vital Football

A-Z Two From One

Lindum

Vital Football Hero
Titles of books, songs, films, drama. The words can be any word in the title. You have to provide two. The second must be an extended form of the first but not merely a plural.

Easier than it sounds (I hope).

A - 1. Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves. Story from the Arabian Nights which has featured in many films, songs, cartoons and comics.

A - 2. Ali(ce) in Wonderland. Lewis Carroll book that has featured in songs, films and animation.

NB. The word does not have to be the first word of your title(s) and does not have to be a name.

Last edited:
Think I've understood this

B 1. BAT Out Of Hell - Meatloaf song.

B 2. BAT(TLE) of Britain - film starring Laurence Olivier, Michael Caine and Christopher Plummer that was fought in the air.

C 1. CAN Can -originally composed by Offenbach and part of the "Orpheus in the Underworld" comic opera. Bad Manners had a UK hit with a ska version of it in 1981.

C2. CAN(DIDA) - 1970's Uk pop hit for Tony Orlando and Dawn

Clips of both on YouTube

...or CAN(DLE) in the wind - UK hit single for Elton John in 1974, and in 1997.

Last edited:
D - And Quiet Flows the Don is a novel in four volumes by Russian writer Mikhail Sholokhov written between 1925 and 1940 about the Don Cossacks in WW1. Apparently Pete Seeger's Where Have All the Flowers Gone was based on a Cossack folk song in the book.
D - The Don(key) Serenade. Song by the great Mario Lanza.

E1. EVER fallen in love with someone (you shouldn't've have fallen in love with)- 1978 hit UK single for the Buzzcocks.

E2. EVER(Y) 1's a winner by Hot Chocolate - another UK hit single from 1978.

Clips of both on YouTube

... or EVER(YDAY) - 1957 hit for Buddy Holly

Last edited:
F 1. I'll Never FIND Another You - The Seekers song from the mid-sixties.

2. FIND(ING) Nemo - a 2003 film made by Disney (I think)

or.. . FOX on the run - UK hit single for Sweet in 1975... and FOX(Y) Lady, song by the Jimi Hendrix Experience (1967).

Last edited:
G - Go Now! 1965 hit from the Moody Blues.
G - Go(ne) With the Wind. Epic novel of the American Civil War written by Margaret Mitchell 1936. Three years later made into a film with Clark Gable and Vivian Leigh.

H1 HA! ha! said the clown - hit single for Manfred Mann (1967)
H2 HA(PPY BIRTHDAY) - UK hit from Altered Imagaes in 1981.

J1. JU ju man - track by Brinsley Schwartz on the Silver Pistol album (1972)
J2. JU(MPIN') Jack Flash, song by the Rolling Stones (1968)

Clips on YouTube

L1. (The) LONG and winding road - the Beatles . Track on the "Let it Be" album (1970)
L2. LONG(ER) - song by US singer-songwriter Dan Fogelberg (1979)

Clips on YouTube

Alternative Ls of a military bent -
The Long and the Short and the Tall. 1959 play and 1961 film set in the jungle in WW2. Title comes from the WW1 song, Bless 'Em All.
The Long(est) Day.
1962 epic film about the Normandy landings in WW2.

M1. It's alright MA (I'm only bleeding) - song by Bob Dylan (1965)
M2. MA(DNESS) (Is all in the mind) - 1982 UK single by Madness. They also earlier recorded a cover of the Prince Buster song "Madness".

Clips on YouTube

N 1. NO Surrender - Bruce Springsteen

N 2. The NO(TEBOOK) - a novel by Nicholas Sparks which, I think, had a film and TV series based on it.

...or... (couldn't leave out)...

N1. NA Na Hey Hey (Kiss him goodbye) UK hit single by Steam (1969). Later also a hit single for Bananarama. Version often sung on the Tivoli at Millmoor too.

N2. NA(STY) Girl - hit single for Destiny's Child (2001). Prince also wrote a recorded a song with the same title.

Last edited:
O - The Open Window. Title of a famous short story by Saki and a painting by Henri Matisse.
O - Open(ing) Night. 1977 highly regarded film written and directed by John Cassavetes, and starring Gena Rowlands, Ben Gazzara, Joan Blondell, Paul Stewart, Zohra Lampert, and Cassavetes. Its plot follows a stage actress who, after witnessing the accidental death of one of her fans, is haunted by a recurring apparition of the deceased woman, spurring a nervous breakdown while she prepares for the premiere of a Broadway play.

P 1. Don't PAY The Ferry Man - Chris de Burgh song from the early 1980's.

P 2. PAY(DAY) - a 70's film about a country and western singer who travels around with Rip Torn (later zed in Men in Black).

Q1. QUE sera sera - hit single for Doris Day (1956). Various versions sung on many football terraces.

Q2. QUE(EN) of the hours - early Electric Light Orchestra song (1971). Got it as a track on a compilation album on vinyl.

Clips on YouTube