A-Z Of War Films | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of War Films

O OH , what a lovely war - The film was made in 1969 and is based on Joan Littlewood's satirical stage musical (1963) about World War I. The film was directed by Richard Attenborough and starred Maggie Smith, Dirk Bogarde, John Gielgud, Laurence Olivier, Kenneth More, Jack Hawkins, three members of the Redgrave family, etc. At one stage the Beatles were interested in appearing in the anti-war film as members of the Smith family, but it was not possible to schedule their participation . It has been claimed that John Lennon does appear in an uncredited role in the film as a soldier.

Last edited:
P Platoon - film about the Vietnam war. It was the first Hollywood film to be written and directed by a veteran of the Vietnam War, Oliver Stone. Starred Charlie Sheen. It was nominated for a lot of awards. I didn't really enjoy it, don't know why.

Q QUO Vadis, Aida - Award winning film, which was written, directed and produced by Jasmila Zbanic (2020) about the war in Bosnia in 1995. The events are seen through the eyes of a mother named Aida, who works as a translator. (Not seen it)

R ROUNDHEADS and Cavaliers - short comedy film (2019), directed by Chloe Thomas. The film is about a low-key English Civil War re-enactment group. Whole film is on YouTube. Quite good - it has a sort of daft rural charm to it.

S - Sergeant York. 1941 biopic starring Gary Cooper about a backwoods farmer in WW1 and his struggle to square combat with his religious beliefs. Watched it a few times.

Did you have to go back out to the chippy, Lindum!
It was my eldest brother's birthday party and my other brother and I were sent off with dad while my mother prepared food. Came back to a smoke-blackened kitchen. Chips were off the menu but luckily there were sandwiches and things already prepared for the party in the front room.

It was my eldest brother's birthday party and my other brother and I were sent off with dad while my mother prepared food. Came back to a smoke-blackened kitchen. Chips were off the menu but luckily there were sandwiches and things already prepared for the party in the front room.

My in-laws had a chip pan fire the day we got married - luckily it was soon put out and didn't cause any damage.

Another O

Operation Mincemeat - film about tricking Hitler into thinking we were invading Sicily - Colin Firth and Matthew Macfadyen were in it along with Penelope Wilton. I watched it last night and enjoyed it.

Another O

Operation Mincemeat - film about tricking Hitler into thinking we were invading Sicily - Colin Firth and Matthew Macfadyen were in it along with Penelope Wilton. I watched it last night and enjoyed it.
This must be a remake of the 1956 film, The Man Who Never Was. I have watched it several times and enjoyed it. Clifton Webb, Stephen Boyd and Gloria Graham.

Alternative T... TWELVE O'clock High - WW2 US Army Airforce film (1949) , starring Gregory Peck. Based on the novel of the same name. Seen it on tv.
----------------------------------------------------------

U UNDERCOVER - British-made WW2 film (1943) about the anti-Nazi guerilla movement in German-occupied Yugoslavia. Directed by Sergei Nobandov.

Last edited:
W - War Horse, 2011 film directed and produced by Steven Spielberg based on Michael Morpurgo's 1982 novel of the same name and its 2007 stage adaptation. The film's cast includes Jeremy Irvine, Peter Mullan, Emily Watson, Niels Arestrup, David Thewlis, Tom Hiddleston and Benedict Cumberbatch.
Set before and during World War I, it tells of the journey of Joey, a bay Irish Hunter horse raised by British teenager Albert (Irvine), as he is bought by the British Army, leading him to encounter numerous individuals and owners throughout Europe, all the while experiencing the tragedies of the war happening around him.

Missed out "V"- VERDUN : Visions of history /Visions d'histoire. !928 French docudrama film about the battle of Verdun in WW1. Directed by Leon Poirier. The film has a pacifist message. (Not seen it).

Last edited:
X (The) XI'AN incident - Chinese historical drama film , made in 1981, about the 1936 Japanese army occupation of NE China, and also the conflict between Chang Kai-shek's Nationalist forces and the Chinese Communist Red Army. (Not seen it)

Last edited:
Y - Yesterday's Enemy 1959 British war film starring Stanley Baker, Guy Rolfe, Leo McKern and Gordon Jackson set in the Burma Campaign during World War II. It is based on a 1958 BBC teleplay by Peter R. Newman, who turned it into a three-act play in 1960. The TV play was reportedly based on a war crime perpetrated by a British army captain in Burma in 1942.
I have this on dvd and it has similarities to The Long and the Short and the Tall. I vividly remember watching the BBC TV play in the late fifties and it affected me greatly, particularly the ending which I can still see now clearly in my mind.