A-Z Of Spring | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Spring

... or ... QUINCE BLOSSOM (late winter to early spring)
----------------------------------------------------------

R RED HOT POKER (torch lily) - starts blooming in late spring. Fiery red/orange/ yellow shades. The plants grow 3-8 feet tall. Always seemed to be a popular choice of garden plant in Brinsworth , when I was a youngster.

Last edited:
U - I was stumped with this so checked out Spring words on Google. Only U I could find was UMBRELLA! Seems odd to me but there you go. Never use one as rain here seems invariably to come with strong winds.:confused:

V VERNAL Equinox - when the sun is exactly over the equator and day and night are equal in length - happens in Spring.

I'd have had Umbrella too, Lindum!

W WISTERIA - Woody twining flowering vine, which starts blooming in spring. Flowers are usually lilac in colour, but can also be pink or white. Some species climb in a clockwise direction, others anti-clockwise.

I do like Wisteria. Used to have a swing in the back garden and when it broke and wanted cleaning up and painting by that time the children were too old to go on it. So I planted climbing plants around it which grew and flowered for a few years before finally giving up the ghost and the swing frame is no longer in residence!

Y - Yellow. A colour I always associate with Spring flowers, daffodils of course but there are yellow crocus, iris, tulips and pansies and also mimosa which is the flower of International Women's Day, 8th March.:clap:

Caz, your X and Z entries speak to an impressive botanical knowledge. Two right mouthfulls!

Well, actually, Sixpence and I rely on 'our friend' Gordon for a lot of our answers! Though I do have a book with impossible named plants in them that I used to go to Garden Centre's with and show them what I wanted!