A-Z of Space | Page 2 | Vital Football

A-Z of Space

Q - Q. Q is a character in Star Trek appearing in the Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Lower Decks, and Picard series. The most familiar Q is portrayed by John de Lancie. He is an extra-dimensional being of unknown origin who possesses immeasurable power over time, space, the laws of physics, and reality itself, being capable of altering it to his whim.

In the original series of Bosch Q was in that too! Well John de Lancie was! And he was a much nicer character!

... or ... QUASARS - "quasi-stellar radiation sources". Now believed to be centres of high luminosity at the nucleus of galaxies, caused by supermassive black holes burning up material.
--------------------------------------------------------

R "RHEA" - second-largest moon of Saturn.

... or "RED Dwarf" - BBC TV spaceship comedy show. Main characters were Lister
(human), Rimmer (hologram), Kryton (robot) and Cat (creature that had evolved from the spaceship's original pet cat). Good fun! (y)

Last edited:
S SATURN - Second largest planet in the solar system. it has a complex set of rings
(mainly consisting of ice particles) and many moons, the largest being Titan.

Last edited:
Alternate S - Silver Machine. From the Hawkwind 1971 album In Search of Space. I saw them live around then with a woman called Stacia doing strange dances at the front of the stage.

T - Thunderpants. 2002 comedy film with an impressive cast about a boy with uncontrollable flatulence who gets involved with a NASA space rescue mission. Never watched.

Last edited:
or...TITAN - Largest moon of Saturn (see entry for "S")
-----------------------------------------------------------
U URANUS - Seventh planet from the Sun. It sort of rolls along its orbit like a bowling bowl. ie its axis is tilted on its side. That unusual motion is believed to be due to a collision in the early days of the solar system.

W - The War of the Worlds is a science fiction novel by H. G. Wells, written between 1895 and 1897, one of the earliest stories to detail a conflict between mankind and an extra-terrestrial race. The book has been both popular (having never been out of print) and influential, spawning half a dozen feature films, radio dramas, a record album, various comic book adaptations, a number of television series, and sequels or parallel stories by other authors. It was memorably dramatised in a 1938 radio programme directed by and starring Orson Welles that allegedly caused public panic among listeners who did not know the book's events were fictional.

X XANTHE - well-documented asteroid, first identified in 1896. It is located is in the outer region of the Asteroid Belt. Xanthe takes about five years to orbit the Sun.

Last edited:
Or, Z - Zodiac, in astronomy and astrology, a belt around the heavens extending 9° on either side of the ecliptic, the plane of Earth's orbit and of the Sun's apparent annual path. The orbits of the Moon and of the principal planets also lie entirely within the zodiac.

I owe you a profound apology, Caz, as I now find an epic 2012 movie called Zombies From Outer Space. I should never have doubted you and your yellow card is rescinded.:throw::lol:

Oh, I doubt myself every time I type something so I won't hold it against you!