A-Z Of Painting | Page 3 | Vital Football

A-Z Of Painting

Must say I'm enjoying this thread having been brought up in an 'artistic' household. Neighbours greatly admired our Woolworths' copy of Chinese Girl on the living room wall. The painting is commonly known as the 'Mona Lisa of kitsch'. It went very well with our other ornament, an Airfix plastic model of The Golden Hind.

.... alternative "W" - WATERCOLOUR PAINTING - the paints are made of pigments, suspended in a water-based solution., which are typically applied by brushes to paper. (Did watercolour painting at school and home). Famous watercolour paintings include those by Kandinsky, Klee, Schiele, Hopper, etc.
By coincidence, Mike, as I sit at my PC I can see on the walls two Klees (one is called Sinbad the Sailor, I think) and one Kandinsky which is a series of blue and red hieroglyphs on a brown background and may have been called Indian Sign.

Didn't come from an artistic family myself, but back then the Art teachers at Aston School, and the facilities were great - we did painting, drawing, ink painting, technical drawing, pottery, ceramics, 3D-paper sculptures (including constructing a scale model of Harlech Castle), making scenery for stage plays, etc,. Really enjoyed it. Didn't do Art O-level because it clashed on the timetable with other subjects that I was studying. I never had "the eye" for stuff like traditional portrait drawing/painting, so I became more interested in modern/abstract art.

Last edited:
I have a copy of a Van Gogh that I saw in Paris and thought it might be this but it isn't. It's called La Meridienne and it shows a sleeping couple with sickles in a wheat field. The main colour is golden yellow and I have it on the wall of a bedroom painted pale blue and think it works rather well.

I think he liked wheat! There seem to be quite a few about.

We have four 'paintings' for the dining room (which is where I'm sitting now). The other half puts one up according to seasons. We have a woody picture up now with a waterfall in the background and a lake. (If it wasn't for the waterfall and lake it could be Valley Woods!) We have a beach one for the summer and one of autumn trees for autumn. My favourite is a proper painting of Whitby in the snow which my son-in-law painted for us a few years ago.

X - there are a few painters whose names begin with X, mostly Chinese, but I found Jean XCERON who is an American Greek. Some of his art work is in the Guggenheim. HIs work is blocks and straight lines.

X - Xenophantos. Athenian vase painter of the 4th BC. I bought a few Greek plates, vases and figures from a little shop off Carnaby Street. Not sure if any by him and I doubt they are original!

We have four 'paintings' for the dining room (which is where I'm sitting now). The other half puts one up according to seasons. We have a woody picture up now with a waterfall in the background and a lake. (If it wasn't for the waterfall and lake it could be Valley Woods!) We have a beach one for the summer and one of autumn trees for autumn. My favourite is a proper painting of Whitby in the snow which my son-in-law painted for us a few years ago.
Caz, by 'Valley Woods' do you mean the woods off Brecks Lane? We called them the Big Wood and the Little Wood and many weekends we would follow the stream up from Herringthorpe Valley Road and into those woods. Then we might go along Brecks Lane and walk down through the council estate by the crematorium.

Caz, by 'Valley Woods' do you mean the woods off Brecks Lane? We called them the Big Wood and the Little Wood and many weekends we would follow the stream up from Herringthorpe Valley Road and into those woods. Then we might go along Brecks Lane and walk down through the council estate by the crematorium.

Yes, those are the ones. I think they are actually called Gibbing Greave Woods. Minutes walk from me but I rarely go in them.

Yes, those are the ones. I think they are actually called Gibbing Greave Woods. Minutes walk from me but I rarely go in them.
Yes, the wood we called Big Wood is Gibbing Greaves. Little Wood adjoins it and is called Herringthorpe Woods apparently. We would sometimes walk up from Little Wood through a field of gorse bushes with an old quarry near the top. It brought you out on a modern housing estate and you could walk through to the Stag roundabout.

By the way, Caz, you can't live far from my sister on Stag Lane. I usually stay at the Premier Inn at Brecks when I go back to Rotherham.

Y William Frederick YEAMES - a British artist whose famous painting is 'when did you last see your father'. He also did a painting of the 1st Earl of Leicester's wife dying falling down stairs - bet that looked grand over the fireplace.

Y William Frederick YEAMES - a British artist whose famous painting is 'when did you last see your father'. He also did a painting of the 1st Earl of Leicester's wife dying falling down stairs - bet that looked grand over the fireplace.
Yes, I think I've seen that first painting in Liverpool. Didn't remember the title though. Not seen the lady at the bottom of the stairs!

Z - Francesco Zuccarelli (1702 – 1788) was an Italian artist of the late Baroque or Rococo period. He is considered to be the most important landscape painter to have emerged from his adopted city of Venice during the mid-eighteenth century and his Arcadian views became popular throughout Europe and especially in England where he resided for two extended periods. There is at least one of his paintings in The National Gallery, Landscape With Cattle and Figures but I can't recall it from my visits there.