A-Z Of Objects/Things/Places Named After People | Vital Football

A-Z Of Objects/Things/Places Named After People

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
This can be anything at all named after any real or imaginary person

A ALDIS Lamp - named after Arthur Cyril Webb Aldi. It's a signal lamp first used in the late 1800s and still used on naval vessels today.

B - Bismarck. German battleship of WW2 named after the first chancellor of a united Germany, Otto von Bismarck. Featured in Kenneth More film, Sink the Bismarck!

D DAVY Lamp - named after Sir Humphrey Davy and was invented to help in coal mines and reduce the danger of explosions due to the presence of gasses such as methane.

E - Edison Screw. A standard light bulb fitting invented by Thomas Edison and licenced from 1909 under General Electric's Mazda brand.

F The Huck FINN Jubilee - a Bluegrass festival which takes place in Southern California in October and named after the Mark Twain character Huckleberry Finn.

H HAMMOND Organ - named after American Laurens Hammond. An electric organ which has things not often found on other organs keyboards such as a synthesizer. I believe, though don't know for sure, that there was one in Clifton Methodist Church.

I - The Inglis Bridge. Reusable steel bridge invented by Charles Inglis in WW1 and a precursor of the Bailey Bridge (see Sixpence's B above)

M - Mac or Mackintosh. Waterproof coat invented by Charles Mackintosh. The material was made waterproof by cementing two layers of fabric with a solution of rubber dissolved in coal-tar naptha.

N NECOMEN Steam Engine - invented by Thomas Newcomen in 1712. Did a history paper about him at school, but that's the only bit of information I can remember - and I had to look him up to find the date. I do remember the Engine worked on a principle of condensing steam and were used to pump water out of mines.

P - Pretoria. Administrative capital of South Africa, founded in 1855 by Marthinus Pretorius and named for his father, Andries Pretorius.

R RUBIK'S Cube - named after Hungarian Emo Rubik. A puzzle that became popular in the 80's. (The only way I could do it was to take the stickers off (it was a cheap one!) and put them back on where I needed them to go!)